Kyle Pitts is the key | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyle Pitts is the key

Great thread @goonies , thanks for posting it!

Ultimately, I'd trade down if I wanted Pitts, but he is one of the few guys in this draft that may well be worthy of the #3 overall pick. While we have Gesicki as a mismatch TE, Pitts is even more of a pure wide receiver than Gesicki is. They are both glorified slot receivers at this point though. Having Gesicki and Shaheen means we will probably not draft Pitts, but let's just consider why he legitimately should be a serious consideration for the Dolphins.

Pitts is a size/speed mismatch, faster than LB's, stronger than DB's, and probably longer than both. While he may not be a master at creating separation vs. DB's, he is a mismatch, so there is almost always a safe-target zone to throw to him, and usually it's fairly big by NFL standards. He has strong arms and hands so he can catch the ball. He's a hands catcher. His length and physicality shields the ball and allow for a perfect throw on every play and margin for error on most plays. He's too strong to get jammed at the LOS, so he eats press coverage for lunch--whiich is most QB's biggest question about their WR's. He's fairly durable and fast, so he will be a threat that is on the field almost all the time. He's got the size/speed to stretch the field. He wins his 1v1's. He's got some decent RAC ability, and can sometimes break tackles.

At the end of the day the questions are always:
1) Does he beat the press? Yes, because he's strong
2) Does he get open? Yes, because he is a a great blend of long and fast.
3) Does he catch and hold onto the ball? Yes because he has good hands and strong hands/arms.
4) Does he run good routes? No complaints.
5) Does he block? Yes, big strong guy mobile and willing enough to block.
6) Does he protect his QB? (when it is a potential INT, does the WR prevent the INT?) Yes, usually tries.
7) Does he listen and learn? Yes, he seems to be on the program at UF and developed to the point where he seems to listen to coaching.

A 6'5 kid who can run, is strong, and answers those 7 questions positively ... is gonna be a heck of a football player. I'm reminded of last year's fascination with Charles Claypool, who ultimately went in the 2nd round to the Steelers. Now, Pittsburgh is famous for its receiver factory, so we all knew they'd get the best out of him, but WOW. Claypool proved he definitely deserved being a 1st round pick. All his questions melted away as he dominated during his rookie season and the Steelers never missed a beat. Every scout rates Pitts higher than Claypool, with similar high-end potential. Yes, every team not drafting a QB should be considering Kyle Pitts, because he's going to be special no matter where he is drafted.

No. Players like him rarely contribute the raw numbers to make them worth that lofty draft position, and he can't block.

Has there ever been a tight end taken in the top 15 that has panned out? I'm actually curious and not trying to be a jerk.
Don't get me wrong I like Pitts, he reminds me of Waller from the Raiders, but no way in hell am I using a top 5 pick on a tight end.
Off the top of my head, Kellen Winslow (SR) definitely panned out for the Chargers. He went 13. Doesn't mean I want Pitts at 3, tho.

Last edited:
I believe he should be the pick. Never would I have said draft a TE in the first round period but let me tell you this kid is going to be special. He doesn’t even look 6’6 yet he is , he’s so athletic, he has speed, great hands, runs incredibly fluid. I can’t explain wtf I’m watching when I look at his highlights. That shouldn’t be possible for a 6’6 guy. I’m all in on Pitts. I love devonta smith but this kid should be the pick. Sadly Grier and company are terrible at drafting so I doubt this happens. Would love to hear finheavens opinion on the kid. Phenomenal talent.
4064A313-73F0-4781-ADF2-519D0CFCD04C.jpeg

Has there ever been a TE drafted in the top 3? I’m 100% on board, the kid is special.

No the highest drafted TE post AFL/NFL merger went at 5 and that was back in 1972. Also no TE drafted in the top 10 in the last 45 years has gone on to have even one 1st team All Pro to their name.

At 3? No. Far as I'm concerned, that should be Sewell or Smith. Now. If he's there our next pick, absolutely no problem with that.

I believe he should be the pick. Never would I have said draft a TE in the first round period but let me tell you this kid is going to be special. He doesn’t even look 6’6 yet he is , he’s so athletic, he has speed, great hands, runs incredibly fluid. I can’t explain wtf I’m watching when I look at his highlights. That shouldn’t be possible for a 6’6 guy. I’m all in on Pitts. I love devonta smith but this kid should be the pick. Sadly Grier and company are terrible at drafting so I doubt this happens. Would love to hear finheavens opinion on the kid. Phenomenal talent.
No

The value is Sewell at 3. He’s a legitimate bad ass. So I wouldn’t be mad with that pick. The more I watch Chase, the more I like him...I’d be very happy if we picked him. Smith just had an amazing year.....So I’d be happy with that pick. I think we would have to trade down to take Pitts.....And I wouldn’t be mad if we did. Those are all solid picks in my book. If Grier drafts anyone else.....I’m gonna be pissed.

No the highest drafted TE post AFL/NFL merger went at 5 and that was back in 1972. Also no TE drafted in the top 10 in the last 45 years has gone on to have even one 1st team All Pro to their name.
Shockley is
The value is Sewell at 3. He’s a legitimate bad ***. So I wouldn’t be mad with that pick. The more I watch Chase, the more I like him...I’d be very happy if we picked him. Smith just had an amazing year.....So I’d be happy with that pick. I think we would have to trade down to take Pitts.....And I wouldn’t be mad if we did. Those are all solid picks in my book. If Grier drafts anyone else.....I’m gonna be pissed.
Sewell and parsons are the two sure gems in the 1st round. If Miami can draft both then they are sure all pro locks if healthy.

Back
Top Bottom