Larry Warford... can he fit? Or too late? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Larry Warford... can he fit? Or too late?

I think they may keep an eye on him if he passes waivers. However, I think they would pounce on a quality Right Tackle if one gets waived under similar circumstances.

After the Albert Wilson restructuring, Dolphins are $29 million under the cap before signing all their rookies (some have already signed). The signing of all 11 rookies plus practice squad players is said to cost $14 million leaving the Dolphins with $15 million in cap space to take in to the season for carry over and signings during the season if players get injured. Don't think there's enough room to sign Warford unless he plays at $7 million or less.

Dolphins want to carry over as much into next off season as possible because in all likelihood NFL revenue, due to COVID-19, is going to be down which mean the salary cap could shrink or only make a minimal increase.
Thank you for bringing the salary cap point up. If you look at how they structured contracts as such front loaded contracts, it could appear the front office is preparing for it.

I would love it we signed Warford. We gotta get Deiter out of the starting lineup. With a starting lineup of Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Warford, and Hunt/Davis/Davenport would be pretty nasty.

Does anybody know for sure if Hunt is playing G/T? I have heard Flores wants to use him at T.

Deiter, Kindley, Flowers, and Hunt all penciled in at guard in depth chart. We either have big money or high picks invested in these 4 guys. Could we fit Warford into this group and carry 5 OGs, Absolutely. I would offer him what we saved on the Albert Wilson deal 1-2 years 6 mill per. He will probably get more than that and i’d let him walk. I don’t like the idea of paying 2 guards 10+ mill each. Especially when we drafted 3 guys to compete for that spot.
Dieter can play both guard and tackle. And we are hoping Hunt can be our RT. I'm not optimistic about that, but that's the plan for now.

I would care much more about how much money is guaranteed beyond this season than I would that we might pay two guards 10 million.

It honestly could work out perfectly, but it's dependent on Hunt working at tackle.

I want an O-line I actually feel comfortable putting Tua behind this year, and I don't think we have nearly enough established talent. If we plan on sitting him all year then I don't care as much.

Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Warford, Hunt would end the night terrors I'm having of Tua playing behind a line where Flowers is the most established player.

Last edited:
Think you have to give him a look.

Above average- experienced RG..

Regardless whether Hunt is our RG or he wins the RT battle with Davis, I don’t see the downside. Need depth.
Dieter is on the way out- he’s part of reason they brought in 5 new guys.

Think you have to give him a look.

Above average- experienced RG..

Regardless whether Hunt is our RG or he wins the RT battle with Davis, I don’t see the downside. Need depth.
Dieter is on the way out- he’s part of reason they brought in 5 new guys.

I wouldn't say he's a lock to make the roster, but the truth is we don't know what Deiter in year two will look like, just like we don't know what Rosen, Davenport or Ballage in year three will look like. Players do have the ability to improve from one season to another. I think we'll need to wait until camp and preseason before we have any idea about some of the young players the team is trying to develop. Their window of opportunity might not be as great as it once was, but they're too young and raw too judge by a one year look.

Like I said, he is tempting. Jason Peters would be far more of a need though.

I've been wrong before, but I don't think that a player like this fits our overall strategy. This is the type of move that the previous regime would have made... signing an older player for the short term and ignoring the long-term, team-building vision.

His former team didn't think (at 7 million) that he was worth the contract, and that team is pretty sharp.

So why would we rent an average player at a position where we just drafted players?

impatience... impatience... impatience

I've been wrong before, but I don't think that a player like this fits our overall strategy. This is the type of move that the previous regime would have made... signing an older player for the short term and ignoring the long-term, team-building vision.

His former team didn't think (at 7 million) that he was worth the contract, and that team is pretty sharp.

So why would we rent an average player at a position where we just drafted players?

impatience... impatience... impatience

He is not an average player. The Saints have major salary cap problems. He is coming off 3 consecutive pro bowls and is a much better option than we currently have. The question I have is if we could cut Flowers and sign him if it comes down to that and we couldn't afford to pay both guards $10 million.

I find it funny all the hate deiter is getting as a 23 year old just finishing his rookie year.
Also, how many experts have Hunt as a G over OT.

Can't dump Flowers. 3 year 30 M with 20M guaranteed. You could in 2022 for 3M in dead cap.

Back
Top Bottom