Latest Fiedler Update | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Latest Fiedler Update

Originally posted by 4THand10
I don't trust this FO when it comes to bringing in offence lineman or drafting one.
It has been terrible since the JJ era and it still has not changed.
We had one adequate starter Todd Wade.And he sure is not worth no 10mil signing bonus.

The last 2 pro bowl offence lineman for the dolphins were in the Shula era(Webb/Ruddy).

Thats 1 sad statistic.

The ProBowl is so incredibly over rated its ridiculous. How often do players get sent to Hawaii on name recognition? I can name two who you should be darn familiar with, right off the top of my head. Brock Marion and Reuben Brown.

Wade Smith will be a solid starter for years to come, and he was drafted in the 3rd round. Hows that for a dumb o-line draft?

Originally posted by fins4o8

Let me be the third to say, I still want Rivers also.

and let me be the first to say, that you're the second, not third. I never said I wanted Rivers. Sure he'd be totally great, but unless we have 3 1st round picks, im not even going to give him a mention. Plus, now that Fiedler is staying, we have our 1st-3rd string QB's on the roster.

Jay would be fine as a back-up QB. Not at his current salary though, and it sounds like they will just push the cap hit back till 2005 or 2006 instead of just making him take a pay cut right now.

I seriously doubt there was much interest in Feidler by any other team, except as a back-up, and at $1 mil or so salary. The only real leverage I see Fiedler and his agent having is the fact Wanny is making it clear he wants him back. Wants him back to openly compete and start.

So why did we trade for Feeley again? So he could move up from third-string to second? Because we have cap room to burn? :mad:

I think we will have a QB controversy all next season if Fiedler is allowed to return to compete and be payed as a starter. If he comes in with a paycut and clear understanding that he is now the #2 QB? Then the team can rally around and FOCUS on building chemistry with Feeley, instead of wondering if he will get benched after an incomplete pass.

I would really like to see Fiedler resigned with a cap friendly deal and then traded off to the Skins for Ramsey. Gibbs gets another vet QB for back-up, Ramsey gets to come here and compete with Feeley to start. We would probably have to sweeten that deal by giving up a #3 or 4 pick to the Skins this year.

Is this a contradiction about avoiding a QB controversy by bringing in Ramsey? No. How many of you think that if Jay stays and starts, that Miami won't be looking for yet another QB in 2005? Anyone here think Jay will be here beyond 2004? Feeley or Ramsey are young enough to be here for a long time. They are a solution for now, and the future at QB. Between the two of those young guys, one should become a capable starter.

I'm really afraid that Wanny is hoping to win 9-10 games with Fiedler this year, maybe squeak into the play-offs (only to lose badly in the wild-card round) but claim yet again that "This team is close." So that he can hang on for another year. Wanny is not interested in what is best for the Phins long term, he is only about saving his job this year. Without a serious play-off run wanny should be gone, but that was supposed to be the case in 2003, and he is still here. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a tough call, I think. Having Fiedler around makes a QB controversy likely, no matter how he conducts himself in the locker room and to the press. Allowing him a shot at the starting job guarantees a QB controversy, not to mention possible dissension between Wanny and Spielman, as it seems pretty clear that Fiedler is Wanny's guy and Feeley is Spielman's guy.

On the other hand, Fiedler is almost certainly the best available backup QB. Billy Volek? Damon Huard? Jeff Blake? I know Volek has a few backers here, but would you honestly take one of those guys over Fiedler as the backup at this point? I wouldn't. Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner aren't coming anywhere where the starting job isn't handed to them on a silver platter. It's possible that Brad Johnson is going to be cut, and he might take a backup job, but who knows if that's going to happen or when?

Best case scenario is this: Feeley plays lights-out the first 3 games and the QB controversy goes away. In this regard, our early schedule has just become extremely important.

Originally posted by phunwin
This is a tough call, I think. Having Fiedler around makes a QB controversy likely, no matter how he conducts himself in the locker room and to the press. Allowing him a shot at the starting job guarantees a QB controversy, not to mention possible dissension between Wanny and Spielman, as it seems pretty clear that Fiedler is Wanny's guy and Feeley is Spielman's guy.

On the other hand, Fiedler is almost certainly the best available backup QB. Billy Volek? Damon Huard? Jeff Blake? I know Volek has a few backers here, but would you honestly take one of those guys over Fiedler as the backup at this point? I wouldn't. Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner aren't coming anywhere where the starting job isn't handed to them on a silver platter. It's possible that Brad Johnson is going to be cut, and he might take a backup job, but who knows if that's going to happen or when?

Best case scenario is this: Feeley plays lights-out the first 3 games and the QB controversy goes away. In this regard, our early schedule has just become extremely important.

Excellent post. There is this to consider as well (from the Miami Herald):

Assuming Fiedler can agree with the Dolphins on a new deal, the team could have one of the cheapest quarterback positions in the league based on the salary cap. Fiedler and Feeley could cost the Dolphins about $5 million combined against the cap, a relatively meager sum in the NFL.

This is important when you consider how many other offensive holes we have to fill.

I think Feeley will beat Jay, and Jay coming of the bench has done great, like you say get the O line help we need and a good second receiver and will be in great shape.
These people are pros all of these comments about Jay are just noise.
Its hard to believe that Wans would want to create problems on a team that he has to coach. If the Fins win that's all that matters and if Fiedler can help do that then they are doing the right thing keeping him.

So much for the trade theory of getting rid of Fiedler.

Spielman has made some nice decisons but by keeping Fielder this move is going to come back and cost him his job.

CUT HIM for christ sakes.And for the Fiedlers fans F YOU. MOD NOTE: Now was the 2nd part of the line absolutely necessary? You are new, just to warn you, DONT get in TTT's Doghouse
clear.gif

Name 1 team right now that Fiedler could start for.

By keeping Fiedler Spielman has just started a QB contreversy and the players on the team are going to be split on who should start.
Without team chemistry we will have no chance.Thanks RS.
One team that JF could start for is the Chicago Bears. He is alot better then Rex Grossman in his first couple years. If they draft a qb then maybe not but as of right now JF could start for the Bears. Just not the DOlphins please

Get the latest report about Fielder,Trent Gamble, and Mark Dixon

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins01mar01,0,3225488.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

This only sends out more mixed signals. If Fiedler accepted a paycut, then keeping him was pretty much all right in that he'd be ok to start for another yr to groom a rook.. Since he didn't want to take a cut, it WAS a foregone conclusion that he's outta here, particularly since the Feeley deal came about. Now it appears Fiedler will be back and even "allowed" to compete for the starting job that apparently was why they bring Feeley in. A divided locker room? Who knows for sure at this point but if all this raise [more] questions in our minds, i'm wondering what it does in the players' minds as well? So what this tells me right now is that 1st, Fiedler is gone, 2nd, Feeley is coming and is the starter, 3rd, Fiedler is staying. Which brings up another question. Sage! Appaerently, we're not going to tender him at all, or i've not heard any buzz of such anyway. Watch and see if we offer him any kind of deal at all, of course we may not even hear of such for these kind of players much. so, if another team signs him away for the min salary, that should mean that we offered him nothing and if so and we don't sign anyone else, does this mean we still may draft QB in the 1st rnd??? I would be leaning to think that it just might happen since it has already been said that the reason Rick made the feeley deal was cuz he din't want him to get away. Now, along, if i wanted Sage to stay with all that stuff going on now, I would tender him only for the RoFR only so that the salary would be the cheapest, slightly above the min. If there was no way we're going QB early in the draft then we should at least want Sage back for a cheap as possible.........unless we're going to forego QB in the 1st and grab anyone at all late on the 2nd day or just use Stoerner. But like i said, the are so many mixed signals and questions about a team that is "closer than you think"!! :) ;)

I have two theories:

1) The overtures to Jay were made largely to play nice and not outright boot him out of south Florida. This assumes the front office fully planned on him splitting anyway -- only to be surprised when he called their bluff and said, "Sure, I'll stick around."

2) And this is the theory I'm sticking with. Wanny may be doing a Joe Gibbs riff of promising the incumbent every opportunity to compete when he knows darn well the newcomer will take the job. In Gibbs' case, the Skins want to hold on to Ramsey because of his value and their knowledge of Mark Brunell's fragility; in the Dolphins' case, they feel Feeley gives them the best chance to win, but if he falters, they want a viable candidate off the bench who knows the system and, therefore, doesn't mean a significant drop-off in production.

Think about how scaled back the playbook had to be last year when Griese came in. If we can have two competent, if not dominant, quarterbacks for what the Herald has called "a meager sum," it might just be best for the team as a whole.

I'm still processing this, and I'm not sure how I feel yet.

"the players will only be split in the locker room if Fiedler is immature enough to make a fuss if he loses the starting spot. The rest of the players would perform fine, possibly even better. Im not too worried about this at all"

i have to agree with this statement. say what you want about Jay Fiedler, but he has carried himself with class, and is a team player in my opinion.

1) Fiedler is a cancer to this team.

2) This may not turn out to be the worst thing. Can he restucture his contract to clear cap room, then go into training camp and get pissed that he is practicing with the 2nd teamers and demand to be traded? That wouldnt be soooooo bad.

3) Fiedler is a cancer to this team.

The whole Fiedler situation should have been resolved when they agreed to trade for Feeley. They should have just let Fiedler go, end of story!!!

Fiedler is anything but cancer for the fins. He may not be Manning (QB skills) but I don't think anyone here would question his dedication or loyalty to this team....the hard work he has put in and the respect of his teammates, and the constant BS from fans over the years (only to have them want him back when his 'backups' fail, to the point of many giving him a standing ovation against the Skins this past season) and him having to beat out a QB almost every year he has been here....Huard, Lucas, Griese, and now.....he'll go against Feeley. He is a tough SOB (used to run the decatholon and holds several school records) and does whatever he can for us to win.

That said, I would like to upgrade the QB spot (I'm not so sure yet that Feeley is an upgrade, judgement will come later). If they want to give him competition, I say go after Rivers.

I think that Fiedler played us just like the Eagles did with Feeley. Now, with all the flip flopping and mixed signals can mean only one thing. The FO is just trying to confuse all of us !! :D :D

4th little advice, people dont take well to self proclaimed experts.

If Jay makes it an issue than it CAN hurt chemistry, if he has teh right attitude, then it wont. It is not automatic that it WILL hurt chemistry. Let me also state I was one considered a Jay hugger. I do have concerns with him coming back, only because I am concerned that it will cause Feeley to look over his shouler. I cannot accept that we would make this trade without expecting AJ Feeley to be the starter.

I also do not believe that wanny is stupid enough to go against Rick and Wayne when he knows that this offseason restructure and the bringing in of Dan and know whomever is chosen to have a football guy in teh FO to advise Wayne of the performance of the coach. If we had that this year Wanny very well could have been gone, but he was lucky in that those whom Wayne consulted said the offensive personnel suked. So Wayne said based on that he couldnt be sure the coaching was to blame. All that want to blame Wayne for not firing wanny i respect you but I also understand not jumping to a wrong decision. Any way I do Beleieve Wanny wants to have success and wants to coach here for a while and if he plays this favorite game when Feeley is clearly better will only send him packing, now that the evaluation system has changed and the offense is being overhauled.

Originally posted by jbond
Fiedler is anything but cancer for the fins. He may not be Manning (QB skills) but I don't think anyone here would question his dedication or loyalty to this team....the hard work he has put in and the respect of his teammates, and the constant BS from fans over the years (only to have them want him back when his 'backups' fail, to the point of many giving him a standing ovation against the Skins this past season) and him having to beat out a QB almost every year he has been here....Huard, Lucas, Griese, and now.....he'll go against Feeley. He is a tough SOB (used to run the decatholon and holds several school records) and does whatever he can for us to win.
That said, I would like to upgrade the QB spot (I'm not so sure yet that Feeley is an upgrade, judgement will come later). If they want to give him competition, I say go after Rivers.

Im dedicated to the Dolphins as well, that doesnt mean I should start for them.

He is a cancer cause the Dolphins feel he is "good enough" and never look hard at aquiring a real qb.

He stays in Miami 1) Cause Dave is absolutely in love with him (Note: Dave is also a cancer to this team) and 2) He KNOWS he would have to compete for his job every year no matter where he goes. Why do you think he's considering staying, no one else is taking him seriously...I dont care what his agent says.

Tough?? He's been hurt 4 out of 5 years!!!!!

CUT JAY NOW!!

Back
Top Bottom