“Legal” Tampering Day 2 Superthread | Page 60 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“Legal” Tampering Day 2 Superthread

Yeah, but I'm not signing Hilton as a #1 first off and I'm not signing Hilton for Mike Wallace dollars.
What's the point of signing JAG, no matter how cheap he comes? He's past 30 and declining, what's the point? I'd rather have a developmental young guy than a declining vet. How does he improve our O, he doesn't and how long do you expect him to stick around at 31?

It's probably also why we haven't signed a WR , Edge or C. So far, they've been getting pretty big deals and it's hard to get value when everyone else is shopping like a kid in a candy store.
Well still plenty of time, we will see.

I think the proper way to use FA is to build a floor for a certain unit. Given that Vets are usually more predictable than draft picks, but cost more, its only logical to use them as guys that you put somewhere on your team and tell yourself: "Worst cast scenario, he's the guy." That plan leads you to get 2nd-3rd tier guys that you'll probably get close to market value for and enables you to properly evaluate worst case scenarios.

The draft is where you should swing for the fences, this is where you build your ceiling. The risk is very limited, at least if you draft logically, because these rookies contracts afford you alot of leeway. ie. Its very hard to come out of the 2nd round and overpay for a WR. That contract is still a discount if the guy ends up being a backup.

If you can get TY Hilton without overpaying him, I'd say its a pretty nice floor to have when guys like Parker or Williams get hurt, or when the rookie we got arent ready to really bail you out in crucial situations. Again, this is all assuming Hilton can be had on a very reasonable contract.

Still had a very similar year to Parker, and he was #1 option on the Colts, Fins wouldnt bring him in for that role and he'd be a nice vet presence on such a young offense. All this implying he'd be coming in for 10M per or less....
Other than yours I don't recognize the summaries of TY Hilton around here. Still a very good player and he's always been a clever player...heck of a lot more than a speed guy alone.

PFF listed Hilton as the most underrated wide receiver on the free agent market.

But from his standpoint I think he should try to catch onto a legitimate contender at this stage of his career.

What's wrong with a WR room of Parker, Chase/ Smith/Waddle, Hilton, Williams, Hurns, Bowden? I'll settle for that provided it allows us to use the remaining cash to fill another need.

Still had a very similar year to Parker, and he was #1 option on the Colts, Fins wouldnt bring him in for that role and he'd be a nice vet presence on such a young offense. All this implying he'd be coming in for 10M per or less....
That's the problem. DVP didn't have a great year, we should be looking for players that will surpass parker's production, not mirror it. I just don't think he adds anything at this point in his career other than a vet presence and that doesn't put points on the board. If we're picking up a vet WR, I would like to see him in the 26,27-year-old range, not 31. Just my opinion is all.

Character concerns
I thought so. I read something about the Giants not touching him with a ten foot pole, due to something that went down in Detroit. And with the coaching connections with Miami, may be a reason Grier and Flores won't touch him either.

Back
Top Bottom