Lions looking to trade Stafford? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions looking to trade Stafford?

They have the best reason of all to move on from him. He isn't very good. Plus they are in a great position, draft wise, to take one of the top three QB's. Matt Stafford's career record is 69-79-1 and was selected to play in only one pro bowl. He along with Eli Manning are two of the most overrated QBs I've ever seen, but at least Eli got hot a few times in the post season.
Good point, but if I'm looking to replace him I certainly wouldn't put any information out there. In other words, make Miami and other quarterback needy teams feel secure in their current draft position.

If the Lions keep Staford on the roster it will cost them 21 Million. If they trade him, it will cost them 32 Million against the cap.

Miami is getting Tua it’s a done deal don’t get your panties in a bunch guys. We will easily trade up with all the draft capital we have. He wants to be in Miami not Detroit, he’s said as much
And if Detroit drafts him...then what?

And if Detroit drafts him...then what?
Some people seem to think that just because Tua has expressed an interest in Miami that he only wants to play in Miami and no where else. The fact is Tua came out because he is looking to make as much money as he can now.
If he is drafted by the Lions at 3 instead of the Dolphins at 5 he will make several millions more dollars based on his draft position. I think he expressed an interest in Miami because he just wants to be taken as high as possible in the draft and he figured that after the Bengals select Burrow the Dolphins would be the next team on the board who would probably select a QB and he hopes that QB is him.

I don’t think he would mind at all being the third pick in the draft and going to play in Detroit instead of the fifth pick and coming to Miami.

If the Lions keep Staford on the roster it will cost them 21 Million. If they trade him, it will cost them 32 Million against the cap.
The Dolphins paid more of Tannehill’s salary this past season than the Titans did and he also counted millions of dollars against their cap in dead money. So it isn’t that unusual for an NFL team to take a huge cap hit in one year so they can be better off in the coming seasons.
Trading Stafford for a draft pick, taking the cap hit in the 2020 season and drafting Tua would be much better on a long term basis for the Lions organization than keeping Stafford around if they really have an interest in trading him.

Toying around

Would you take Staffords bad contact and their 3rd for your Fifth?
Yes I would do that yesterday. You're getting a guy you can use next year, drafting the QB you (theoretically) wanted all along, without handing over any of your 1sts or even 2nds.

The cap hit is the price of doing business, ie those exhilarating wins over hoyer and darnold

Oh ya do you all still remember beating the Bengals (OT) and the Pats in the last two games and going 5-11.

Losing those 2 totally meaningless games, and we'd be sittin pretty at 2 ( I think ahead even of Washington).

But nooooo. This is why some of the posters wanted us to lose those 2 games at the end.
I ask you now what would be best for the Fins, those 2 wins or 2 pick...daaaa

Oh ya I think even moving a little higher in the second rd.

Not to get too far OT, but my problem with "meaningless" is the 'less' part. Those wins had meaning. There is no legitimate debate on that. Whether the meaning of those wins outweighs the meaning of 1 win is open to disagreement.

As far as Stafford or any QB goes, there is no FA QB worth the money they want. Get a QB R1 and go with the 'reasonable risk'

If I’m miami I full on plan for burrow to be a bengal and full speed ahead on getting Washington to take the bait on a trade to 2.

If we can do that we got tua. And tberes zero reason we can’t do it. Just have to pony up.

If Patricia already has one foot out the door as you suggest, that is even a better reason for the Lions to draft Tua. That way he will be fully recovered from his hip surgery by the time the new head coach takes over in 2021.
Stafford is a good QB when he is healthy but he just hasn’t been able to take the Lions offense to the next level. It might be time for the Lions to do what the Dolphins did with Tannehill and just start over at the QB position. On a more talented roster Stafford would likely have similar success to what Tannehill had with the Titans.

If Tua is truly a generational type QB he is said to be, I have no idea how the Giants, Lions, or Redskins wouldn’t draft him. Because if he is able to stay healthy in the NFL, his skills are much better than any of the starting QB’s on any of there teams.
GMs and coaches usually aren't interested in helping out their replacements

Not that I would do it, but would you swap picks with Detroit, and take Stafford's contract in the bargain?

That way, you move up, get Herbert or Burrow for sure, and it doesnt cost any additional picks.

Not doing it for Herbert but that's easy call for Tua. Way too easy. Eat the cap for one year and be done with Stafford. Keep all our picks and get the team young. Id even chip in Rosen on the deal to get it done haha

Back
Top Bottom