Lions shopping Stafford. Perfect trade partner | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions shopping Stafford. Perfect trade partner

But why would DET make a deal with MIA for 3 to then risk having NYJ trade 2 to somebody else also wanting a QB and possibly taking their guy?

That’s why I believe DET would just soon deal with NYJ who might be very interested in trading down for more ammo.
they would have to trade with us after the jets do whatever they do.

if they trade to two, we need to look at the other usual suspects.

as long as people covet fields and wilson, we should be good to go.

they would have to trade with us after the jets do whatever they do.

if they trade to two, we need to look at the other usual suspects.

as long as people covet fields and wilson, we should be good to go.

I don’t think QB’s are going 1,2,3. Maybe I’m wrong.

But I was referring mostly to why DET may not be an option for trade down. I just feel they’d try to deal with NYJ first. Makes more sense.

I don’t think QB’s are going 1,2,3. Maybe I’m wrong.

But I was referring mostly to why DET may not be an option for trade down. I just feel they’d try to deal with NYJ first. Makes more sense.
i was just looking at all the aspects, and what might happen if jets take a qb or trade their pick to another team that wants a QB (other than detroit).

and i do see it shaking out to go QB 1, 2, 3, unless we keep our pick (unlikely, in my opinion).

Stafford is a really good qb. He puts up some really good numbers for having just average talent around him. Has a very cap friendly contract for the next 2 years.

Don't know if Stafford would want go with Pats since Patricia is back there of maybe he would?

Building on that.

Trade Tua for 13 (San Fran)

Have 7, 13, 18, 21

Trade first 3 for Watson

Draft Bateman at 21
The Dolphins aren’t trading Tua and they aren’t trading for Watson. Tua will be the Dolphins QB for the next decade or more and I really don’t care where Watson ends up as long as it’s not with the Dolphins.

Matthew Stafford top trade destinations: Five teams most likely to complete a deal with the Lions - CBSSports.com

Jordan Dajani of CBS does not view Miami as a Stafford destination but does have:
1. Washington
2. Indianapolis
3. San Francisco
4. New England
5. Denver

Washington is intriguing as Dajani rationalizes:

1. Washington Football Team

As CBS Sports' R.J. White noted, new Washington general manager Martin Mayhew was the general manager in Detroit when Stafford was drafted with the top pick back in 2009. It proved to be a great decision and the University of Georgia prospect set multiple franchise and NFL records during his tenure with the Lions. Washington does have Alex Smith, who pulled off a remarkable NFL comeback this past season, but he struggled to stay healthy due to other nagging injuries. Washington had to start journeyman Taylor Heinicke in its postseason matchup against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Washington has a star wide receiver in Terry McLaurin, a talented 2020 rookie running back in Antonio Gibson and an elite defense which is highlighted by a defensive line made up of all first-round picks. Even with a healthy Smith, Washington could stand to upgrade at the quarterback position, and it's a move that could potentially make them a legitimate contender. Washington should call and see if the Lions would accept the No. 19 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.
md-icon-volume-off.svg

As stated elsewhere Detroit may be looking to trade Stafford to increase their draft picks and Stafford would likely want to go to an existing playoff team instead of a team still on the verge of making the playoffs.

You can't expect every QB to last until 40. Most QB's really begin showing their age in their mid 30's. We simply don't know his longevity. Most QB's (outside of the HOF'ers) really regress beyond 35. Its very risky to invest a 1st round pick on a player who might only give you a couple years. You better be damned sure you're going to have a contending team if you invest a 1st.

Not saying it can't happen. I could see a late round pick from a contender...but a pick in the early 20s? I don't see it.

Other than perhaps Watson, there is not a better QB who will be on the trading block this off season. So the Lions should easily be able to get a first round draft pick for him and probably a few more picks too. I do see him as a top ten 10 in the right situation. It would be difficult for just about any QB in the NFL to put up better stats than Stafford did with the Lions this past season.

Put him on the Colts, 49ers, or Patriots and he will lead anyone of those teams to the playoffs next year.

But why would DET make a deal with MIA for 3 to then risk having NYJ trade 2 to somebody else also wanting a QB and possibly taking their guy?

That’s why I believe DET would just soon deal with NYJ who might be very interested in trading down for more ammo.

If NYJ indeed want a QB for themselves then this is all moot. But I believe they’ll ride with Darnold since Lawrence isn’t a possibility.
I don't see that. I don't see why NY and Det can have a deal.

Lets exam all the scenarios...
1. NY keeping Donald. That means NY will not take a qb. Therefore Det has no incentive to get to 2 and paying higher price. They can get a qb they want at 3, and give up less than jump to 2.

2. NY part way with Donald, then NY keep the 2 for a qb.

3. NY trade for Watson. Most likely NY has to give up their 2.

In all the possible scenarios, I see we are the most likely partner for Det.

They won't get a first for Stafford.

No question about that.

I was hard pressed to find a team that should give up a second. Washington maybe? The Saints if they had the cap space? Las Vegas? SF?

I like Stafford for the Panthers but not if they’d have to give up their second.

I couldn’t see him being interested in NE at all at this point.

Or play it cool like Miami did in 2020 and sit tight still getting their QB.

Why must every GM have to be so desperate ala OBRIEN, to make his idiocy the norm?
Bc it’s Detroit. I mean they’re Detroit. The king of stupidity. It’s Detroit. Once again they’re Detroit. Lol

No question about that.

I was hard pressed to find a team that should give up a second. Washington maybe? The Saints if they had the cap space? Las Vegas? SF?

I like Stafford for the Panthers but not if they’d have to give up their second.

I couldn’t see him being interested in NE at all at this point.

Panthers best bet would be trade down in 1st adding a 2nd, use the 2nd and maybe a future 4th for Stafford

Back
Top Bottom