Lions shopping Stafford. Perfect trade partner | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions shopping Stafford. Perfect trade partner

Sure if they were totally sold on getting a QB that high but I'm not sure they want to start out by using two high picks on one player with al the help they need. Lets face it, they could stay at 7 and still get a QB there. I know we're all looking for whatever is best for our team but in order to move down you need them to want to come up and at this point we don't know what their plan is n how they want to build a team that needs a lot of parts.
But like I said new coach new GM basically new FO. More times than not a new FO wants to start their regime with a new QB and like I said in another thread it’s Detroit. They just hired Dan Campbell as their head coach lol. The king of stupid moves.

Can't see how they find cap room. They are 100 million in the hole already
Not really what I anticipate happening, but rather what I'd like see. It also seems like if there is a will, there is a way with most of these things. I don't think the plan is to roll with Hill or Winston and I'm curious what their plan is.

No question about that.

I was hard pressed to find a team that should give up a second. Washington maybe? The Saints if they had the cap space? Las Vegas? SF?

I like Stafford for the Panthers but not if they’d have to give up their second.

I couldn’t see him being interested in NE at all at this point.
They most certainly can get a number 1. If a team like Indy, WFT, or SF think that Stafford can get them in the playoffs a number 1 is not to much to give up.

Panthers best bet would be trade down in 1st adding a 2nd, use the 2nd and maybe a future 4th for Stafford

Thats too rich for my blood if I’m them. A third and conditional 4th would be my ceiling. He’s gonna want to get paid too. It’s not a situation where they can just trade him to the highest bidder anyway.

Detroit isn’t trading from a position of power. Stafford shouldn’t want his new team to give up a premium pick.

I think Stafford should’ve asked for a release and then settled for a trade he arranged.

This is a rather awkward scenario unless both sides already know how it will play out.

Does he have a no trade clause? If so Detroit won’t have much leverage. They’re not going to want him back if something doesn’t work out.

Thats too rich for my blood if I’m them. A third and conditional 4th would be my ceiling. He’s gonna want to get paid too. It’s not a situation where they can just trade him to the highest bidder anyway.

Detroit isn’t trading from a position of power. Stafford shouldn’t want his new team to give up a premium pick.

I think Stafford should’ve asked for a release and then settled for a trade he arranged.

This is a rather awkward scenario unless both sides already know how it will play out.

Does he have a no trade clause? If so Detroit won’t have much leverage. They’re not going to want him back if something doesn’t work out.
I don’t think Stafford would have any input in what other teams are willing to trade for him. He has stated he wants to be traded and the Lions seem willing to trade him. Yet the Lions are not just going to give him away. With so many teams in need of a quality QB , I will be extremely surprised if they don’t get a first round draft pick for him.

With Washington,Saints, Panthers, 49ers, Patriots, Colts, and even the Bucs looking to upgrade their QB position for the next several years, I imagine there could be a bidding war in trying to trade for Stafford. There just aren’t a lot of top tier QB’s in the NFL today and when one comes on the market,
the Lions would just laugh at any team just offering a third round pick for Stafford.

If I am the Lions, I start with a minimum of one first round draft pick and a third round pick and let the bidding begin there.

He’s still under contract for the next 2 years at 20 million on the cap this coming year and 23 million next year. Honestly that’s a bargain for a starting QB of his level. While he’s not elite he’s more than good enough for a team built to win now.

Lets think from their shoes...if they're starting a whole new rebuild just like we did...maybe they want to acquire a bunch of picks?

What if we're the ones trading up!? And what's in it for them?

Our #18 and #36 is almost perfect value for their #7 according to the draft chart. That would be the basis for the trade.

It makes sense for them if they are content with building around a Trey Lance, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask.

They get our picks plus the 1st for Stafford and instead of 7, 41, 72, 102 (they're best picks as of right now,) they'd have something more like 18, (another 1st - 20's), 36, 41, 72, 102

Knowing what we know about Campbell and how he was when he was here...I could see him wanting to build HIS team, and the QB position would be more of a game manager. I could totally see them going for it.

So what's in it for us?

How would you like to see us with #3 and #7? Here are just a few ideas:

The best combo imho: Sewell and Smith?

The offensive firepower combo: Smith and Waddle? Smith and Pitts?

The hybrid combo: Smith and Parsons?

Or create your own...I'd be all for it. I think they, just like Carolina, are excellent trade partners to make it happen.

Other than perhaps Watson, there is not a better QB who will be on the trading block this off season. So the Lions should easily be able to get a first round draft pick for him and probably a few more picks too. I do see him as a top ten 10 in the right situation. It would be difficult for just about any QB in the NFL to put up better stats than Stafford did with the Lions this past season.

Put him on the Colts, 49ers, or Patriots and he will lead anyone of those teams to the playoffs next year.
Heard that about Cam Newton last year.

Back
Top Bottom