Looks like our cap is getting tight! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks like our cap is getting tight!

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
Barring any moves looks like we’re sitting around 29 million. I don’t think that includes Brissett or Coleman signings yet since their not official. Those moves would bring us to about 22 mill and the projected cost for our rookie class is about 12. That would leave us with around 10 mill to spend. From that point it would take some creativity, a few cuts and a restructure for McKinney could likely free up enough space to add a center and WR to complete our signings.

But what is it over the next two years? Cap space in a current year isn't impossible to maneuver through if there is space in following years. People seem to get fixated on just what the cap is now and now what the hit is down the road

But what is it over the next two years? Cap space in a current year isn't impossible to maneuver through if there is space in following years. People seem to get fixated on just what the cap is now and now what the hit is down the road
Pretty unpredictable, because cap could skyrocket with new TV Deal and sales getting back to normal

We've done a nice job with cap since the tear down. Manipulated contracts with escape doors built in if things don't work out. Sincerely, I'm loving what our front office is doing. Keeping the cost low, adding depth and going to add talent in the draft. These are all good things. We've seen Miami spend and spend and spend. This is a nice change of pace.

Barring any moves looks like we’re sitting around 29 million. I don’t think that includes Brissett or Coleman signings yet since their not official. Those moves would bring us to about 22 mill and the projected cost for our rookie class is about 12. That would leave us with around 10 mill to spend. From that point it would take some creativity, a few cuts and a restructure for McKinney could likely free up enough space to add a center and WR to complete our signings.

Don't forget about 5mil carryover.
Yes, cuts can be made, but not all cuts WILL be made and a number of those cuts will have to be replaced by rook min guys, so not all savings. Maybe one top FA and Miami's done. Unless Grier can work some impressive magic

It’s weird that our cap is so tight and we aren’t paying franchise money to any QB. I guess Jones and X.

We have a lot of money at corner....not only Howard and Jones but we drafted a corner in the 1st round last year. We're ok tho. We've signed 6 guys so far and we're still under.

It is actually sad when you think about it. A team like KC is paying Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Matthieu, Thuney and Chris Jones and we pay a couple of CB's? I hope to Hell we get some firepower in this draft as this roster scares no one and I don't care how good Flo is at coaching people up.

I would have rather signed a young edge, C or WR instead of the training camp fodder we have invested in. You can get bargain bin anytime. I wish I had faith that I knew Grier could nail this draft.

It's amazing how some don't understand just how fluid the cap and contracts are. We can sign anyone we want if we want to make moves on existing contracts.
Also, do posters realize the new rule that the pats are taking advantage of this year right? Normally contracts can't have a disparity of 20% year to year. Due too covid the union and nfl adjusted the rule. That's what you are seeing in NE. I'm fine not hedging like NE is doing right now.

It is actually sad when you think about it. A team like KC is paying Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Matthieu, Thuney and Chris Jones and we pay a couple of CB's? I hope to Hell we get some firepower in this draft as this roster scares no one and I don't care how good Flo is at coaching people up.

I would have rather signed a young edge, C or WR instead of the training camp fodder we have invested in. You can get bargain bin anytime. I wish I had faith that I knew Grier could nail this draft.

Yep! That’s the exact type of comparison to make.

It's amazing how some don't understand just how fluid the cap and contracts are. We can sign anyone we want if we want to make moves on existing contracts.
Also, do posters realize the new rule that the pats are taking advantage of this year right? Normally contracts can't have a disparity of 20% year to year. Due too covid the union and nfl adjusted the rule. That's what you are seeing in NE. I'm fine not hedging like NE is doing right now.
I realize how fluid every thing is, and I understand Miami can sign guys and backload contracts if they want. I’m just posting this because I’ve seen a ton of posts about all these big names people want. Realistically Miami can sign 1 and maintain long term flexibility or sign 2 with some manuevering (which I even said in my initial post)

Back
Top Bottom