Looks like our cap is getting tight! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks like our cap is getting tight!

McKinney made the pro bowl in 2018 so not that long ago. I feel Lawson had more of an impact that Van Noy. When Van Noy went down, we had someone step up just fine.
We have a plan to replace them and I don't believe we struck out in free agency by trying to replace them. We never really had interest in the edge rusher market in general so they likely have other plans in replacing them. They were both solid but nothing special by any means.
Still can bargain hunt with whats left on the edge in Free Agency
Still can draft or trade for someone on the edge

I also wouldn't be surprised if they moved Baker around some since we acquired McKinney. They may be able to get creative with Baker

Chargers signed Linsley.

They can restructure Byron Jones and free up 10 million dollars.

That's without cutting anybody.

There is plenty of money to be found if we want Golladay, Hudson, Andrews, Samuel, etc.

OK, Galloway and pick-a-top-FA. My concern is, no Dolphin is required to restructure and, likely, won't unless he gains from it. BJ may, but it's not a done deal. I still don't see the "plenty of money." Doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, but it's not as easy as some seem to think. Plus, I don't think Miami is finished with FA lower tier guys and every $1-2mm contract nicks that "plenty of money." Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to top tier guys. I just don't think it's easy coming up with the cap space sans some generous agreements by the players.

OK, Galloway and pick-a-top-FA. My concern is, no Dolphin is required to restructure and, likely, won't unless he gains from it. BJ may, but it's not a done deal. I still don't see the "plenty of money." Doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, but it's not as easy as some seem to think. Plus, I don't think Miami is finished with FA lower tier guys and every $1-2mm contract nicks that "plenty of money." Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to top tier guys. I just don't think it's easy coming up with the cap space sans some generous agreements by the players.
I'm not advocating one way or another.

I also don't think we're done with lower level signings.

With Jones, I believe it was converting salary to bonus to free up over 9.6 mil (I've never seen a player say no to that).

Cutting Fedjelem frees up like 3 milly.

And I haven't done any deep dives.

I'm not advocating one way or another.

I also don't think we're done with lower level signings.

With Jones, I believe it was converting salary to bonus to free up over 9.6 mil (I've never seen a player say no to that).

Cutting Fedjelem frees up like 3 milly.

And I haven't done any deep dives.

Doesn't seem we disagree much. Fans know Miami needs an OC - I doubt we run 'as is.' Again, low tier signings seem almost certain. All that before top tier FAs. BJ? Yeah, I hadn't considered converting to bonus.

Given that, to state the obvious, no one knows Flo's inclinations. I think dumping Grant has been a fan goal for at least 2 yrs, yet Flo keeps him. Point is, just because Grant, Fed, McCain and others are potential cuts, doesn't mean Flo has an interest in cutting them and, in fact, I'm confident a few of them won't be. And if they are, doesn't mean they'll be replaced with league min guys. All in all, I can see Grier/Flo jumping on one of the top FAs. Just too many unknowns to advocate signing two of them and claiming the cap will work perfectly to allow it AND assuming Flo even wants to. Like you, I'd like two top FAs, but the path there is murky.

Barring any moves looks like we’re sitting around 29 million. I don’t think that includes Brissett or Coleman signings yet since their not official. Those moves would bring us to about 22 mill and the projected cost for our rookie class is about 12. That would leave us with around 10 mill to spend. From that point it would take some creativity, a few cuts and a restructure for McKinney could likely free up enough space to add a center and WR to complete our signings.

What's the cap now?

I see some restructures and short term extensions coming.

You need about $10M available to start the year in order to absorb any injuries that need immediate addressing.

I'm not concerned about our cap. The entire league is feeling the crunch. And the teams that aren't... are most likely rebuilding. So, most of the playoff caliber teams are having to make similar decisions. As such, there will be salary reductions across the league in this depressed cap year. Not all players, but many will have to accept less this year. So, it really isn't that big of a marketing disadvantage for any team.

Draft collateral is your savings account for times like these. Target your "big acquisitions" in the draft. Look for deals in the FA Value Bin. But don't over spend.

Ogbah, McKinney, McCain, Rowe, Wilson, Grant and Davis.

We have options to free up cap. No need to panic.

Back
Top Bottom