Mando: Barkley's Choice Could Have Dolphins Scrambling | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando: Barkley's Choice Could Have Dolphins Scrambling

I think with Stephen Ross breathing down Ireland's throat, and with Ireland KNOWING he has to have a plan to get a franchise QB to make his boss happy, he will end up doing something dumb. By this, I mean he will draft a QB, but probably in the second round, hiding behind what Armando says in the column, "The price was too steep to trade up." Then, like a lot of others here have said, we will ultimately be saddled with this second-tier guy for about four years. Which is perfect for Ireland because it buys him time while this guy is still "developing."

That, or he'll move heaven and earth for Manning... which I'm not a fan of either

What happens when we win 8 games next year and draft 15 in 2013? It will be the same story. There will always be several teams looking for QB's and drafting before us. I don't see an answer in sight in the next 2 years, but we need to keep drafting QB's every year; I personally would take the gamble on Peyton Manning if available. He would sell tickets and bring immediate leadership to this team. He would give us 2-3 years where we keep searching for that diamond in the ruff QB.

I think with Stephen Ross breathing down Ireland's throat, and with Ireland KNOWING he has to have a plan to get a franchise QB to make his boss happy, he will end up doing something dumb. By this, I mean he will draft a QB, but probably in the second round, hiding behind what Armando says in the column, "The price was too steep to trade up." Then, like a lot of others here have said, we will ultimately be saddled with this second-tier guy for about four years. Which is perfect for Ireland because it buys him time while this guy is still "developing."

That, or he'll move heaven and earth for Manning... which I'm not a fan of either

Ross could be the most dangerous aspect of this entire situation.

I really like Weeden but I honestly don't see him lasting till the 2nd.

My ideal would be to trade down about...ohhhhh 15 spots (Probably 2 trades) still pick up Weeden and have extra first day picks.
If we ended up with Weeden and Fleener, I would be ecstatic. Not sure if I see us taking a TE if Ireland is still here, though.

Yea your right there is always next year its been that way since Marino retired so why do anything now if not next year than the year after hell we have time we not dead yet

Yeah, because it is better to waste a high draft pick on a Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker than it is to actually get a good player with the pick, because we have to give the perception that we are investing something in a position where we already have a good player in Matt Moore. However, Matt Moore was not highly regarded, so his good play is just a flash in the pan or really isn't good play. He is just putting up equal or better numbers that most of the first round quarterbacks drafted over the past 10 years. But, again, he wasn't highly regarded, so he can't possibly be good. However, if we had a first round pick putting up Matt Moore numbers, then that player would be great.

If we ended up with Weeden and Fleener, I would be ecstatic. Not sure if I see us taking a TE if Ireland is still here, though.

Not sure I agree with that.

At this point, nothing that Ireland does is going to surprise me. He is hanging from a very short leash I imagine, for several reasons. I guarantee you, he is working 18 hour days scouring, reading, re-reading and watching everybody that is draft eligible.

Unlike many in here, I honestly think Dabol is a very nice asset, and his input could prove valuable....of course, none of that might matter depending on whom the next HC is.

I also find it interesting that sooooooo many were talking about the fact that Luck had nobody to throw to, yet his TE (Perhaps the most important position to a QB) is the consensus first TE taken :rolleyes:

I could live with Weeden and Fleener, but would prefer:
Courtney Upshaw/Bruce Irvin
Weeden
Michael Egnew myself :up:

Then pick up a road grating RT and I think we are instantly 4 wins better than this year.

To those of who are fine with a 2nd round QB or not drafting a QB for all, it reminds me of the words of George Wallace. To paraphrase, to me it sounds like you are saying:

"I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of excellence, and I say mediocrity now, mediocrity tommorow, mediocrity forever!"

Yeah, because it is better to waste a high draft pick on a Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker than it is to actually get a good player with the pick, because we have to give the perception that we are investing something in a position where we already have a good player in Matt Moore. However, Matt Moore was not highly regarded, so his good play is just a flash in the pan or really isn't good play. He is just putting up equal or better numbers that most of the first round quarterbacks drafted over the past 10 years. But, again, he wasn't highly regarded, so he can't possibly be good. However, if we had a first round pick putting up Matt Moore numbers, then that player would be great.

He's just perpetually bitter because we got an all-world LT instead of an extremely over-rated QB in Melty Ice.

Actually, I am seeing more and more he is just perpetually bitter..........

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

To those of who are fine with a 2nd round QB or not drafting a QB for all, it reminds me of the words of George Wallace. To paraphrase, to me it sounds like you are saying:

"I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of excellence, and I say mediocrity now, mediocrity tommorow, mediocrity forever!"

Nice quote, I just don't see how it's even remotely accurate to anything related to this conversation.....at all.

Not sure I agree with that.

At this point, nothing that Ireland does is going to surprise me. He is hanging from a very short leash I imagine, for several reasons. I guarantee you, he is working 18 hour days scouring, reading, re-reading and watching everybody that is draft eligible.

Unlike many in here, I honestly think Dabol is a very nice asset, and his input could prove valuable....of course, none of that might matter depending on whom the next HC is.

I also find it interesting that sooooooo many were talking about the fact that Luck had nobody to throw to, yet his TE (Perhaps the most important position to a QB) is the consensus first TE taken :rolleyes:

I could live with Weeden and Fleener, but would prefer:
Courtney Upshaw/Bruce Irvin
Weeden
Michael Egnew myself :up:

Then pick up a road grating RT and I think we are instantly 4 wins better than this year.
Definitely. Any combination of Upshaw/Fleener and Weeden/Tannehill would make me happy.

He's just perpetually bitter because we got an all-world LT instead of an extremely over-rated QB in Melty Ice.

Actually, I am seeing more and more he is just perpetually bitter..........

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Nice quote, I just don't see how it's even remotely accurate to anything related to this conversation.....at all.

Yep. The funny thing is, our unheralded starter over his 23 games as a starter has put up identical numbers to that quarterback everyone thinks we should have spent the first overall pick on, but what doesn't make any sense is that our unheralded quarterback isn't good enough whereas "Matty Ice" is great.

I agree that Miami should not force the quarterback position for a bad prospect like Tannehill, Foles, Cousins, or Landry Jones. I am worried one of those 4 will infect the Dolphins the same way Chad Henne did for the past 4 years. My fear is this scenario:

Ross: "Which quarterback you taking?
Ireland: "Redskins paid too much to get Griffin. He wasn't worth so many picks. We don't rate any of the others high enough."
Ross: "Have you seen how disinterested our fan base is? I'm not here to win, I am here to make money. I am a businessman. Take Landry Jones. The fan base wants him."
Ireland: "We don't like him."
Ross: "Did I stutter? Take Landry Jones."
Goodell: "With the 7th pick in the 2012 draft, the Miami Dolphins select Landry Jones, quarterback from Oklahoma."
[Raucous cheer from the Jets and Pats fans (like when Miami drafted Ginn and the divisional rivals knew their next several years would be cake with Miami remaining lowly).]

You sir, are on fire! Completely exposing the unwarranted bias of many fans on this site. I love it!

What do you guys think about Kellen Moore? He will go later, but you cant argue his winning pct and even for a school that isnt playing great competition, he makes reads quickly and has some good movement in the pocket i thought. The biggest detractor to me is he is never under center. I only mention it cause after the first 2, i think its a crap shoot

You sir, are on fire! Completely exposing the unwarranted bias of many fans on this site. I love it!

Pro Football Reference has a great section where you can find these things. I looked it up. In the past 10 years (2001-2011), 31 quarterbacks have been selected in the first round. Of those, only 3 have posted passer ratings that are significantly better than Matt Moore's 86.6 passer rating as a starter over a 23 game period. Those three are Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Stats don't tell you everything. Put Matt Moore on the road in a two minute drive to win a game and he throws a pick. See the Giants game. Maybe he can do it against the Pats, I'd love to see that. Matt Moore is fine when you don't put him under pressure. But if you pressure him, he is very sub-par. That's not good enough. The kid is limited.

I agree that Ryan is over-rated. But the fact remains that he has a heck of a record and looks playoff bound again this season. Matt Moore is 5-5 this season.

I like Matt Moore and maybe he can develop to some degree. But there is no evidence that he can be a winning quarterback as of now.

Back
Top Bottom