Mando: Fins 'love' Paxton Lynch | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando: Fins 'love' Paxton Lynch

This team has much bigger needs than QB, namely OLinemen, CB, LB, FS, and possibly DE.
The defense cannot hold it's own without some premiere young talent -- so far a lot of the young talent, and subs, have not panned out well. I think it'd be a mistake to throw any early-round pick on a QB prospect when they won't be an immediate contributor, and miss out on a top defense prospect to pair into a Suh-centric defense.

By 2017, I would say yes, draft a QB. At that point, the jury would then be universally out on Tannehill, and a decision could be made with his contract's options. This makes the competition for the QB job all the more legitimate with a better chance for a rookie to win the job.

There is never a bigger need than a playmaking.....game winning quarterback...period.

Question is...do the Dolphins have one or not.

I am a fan of Tannehill..... and I do appreciate the fact that this organization failed to solidify an offensive line that got him sacked more than any other QB during his career.

At some point though....if you decide that question marks are still there...and you have a shot at a QB you really like in the draft....you do it....no question.

If Lynch ends up being an all time great....and Tannehill ends up a good or even very good....you made the right call.

No middle linebacker....no tackle or corner or guard is worth missing that chance.

I'm all for brining in competition at every position....including QB. I think that is healthy for everyone and keeps players motivated to perform.

However, I am not trading draft picks to move up and draft this kid. At least not yet. He is far from a sure thing and this league is full of mediocre QB's that were great in college. We have lots of other needs that need to be addressed. I'm taking a corner or LB with my early picks along with o-line and perhaps a QB in a later round.

There is never a bigger need than a playmaking.....game winning quarterback...period.

Question is...do the Dolphins have one or not.

I am a fan of Tannehill..... and I do appreciate the fact that this organization failed to solidify an offensive line that got him sacked more than any other QB during his career.

At some point though....if you decide that question marks are still there...and you have a shot at a QB you really like in the draft....you do it....no question.

If Lynch ends up being an all time great....and Tannehill ends up a good or even very good....you made the right call.

No middle linebacker....no tackle or corner or guard is worth missing that chance.

I agree that essentially QB is more important (I'm not a very big fan of Tannehill's play lately) but my concern would be, if you draft a guy like Lynch, does he actually see the field in 2016? I would spend my high draft picks on guys who will likely start sooner than later. A great CB, LB, OG will get starting time almost immediately. A great DE will likely start or rotate in as well. But for QB? Tannehill's in his first big contract year -- the team is going to want to see him play at all costs. At best-case for a rookie QB, Tannehill flunks next season early and the rookie steps in to learn trial by fire -- not exactly great odds for a playoff run though in my mind.
Bolstering the defense behind Suh, Jones, and Grimes with high-round playmakers would help with the defense generating turnovers and give Tannehill and the new OC more tries to see the field. Adding pieces to the OLine will help extend the plays that Tannehill can't. We'd have a more finalized verdict on what to do with Tannehill's contract going forward, and if the feeling is that a 1st-round pick will help change things, at least you'd know the future guy in 2017 will have a shot to unseat Tannehill; his contract wouldn't protect him.

TL;DR
For a team who's QB just got a big contract, I would only draft players who will see the field immediately to help make the playoffs push.

Back
Top Bottom