Mare | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mare

Zachspac54

Dan is STILL the MAN
Reaction score
All this talk about Madison ,Griece,Feidler big payroll how about this guy Mare he must be cut or a paycut but iam not even sure we want him back who is some Fa Kickers?:confused:

I want mare back... but at a much cheaper price. He had a bad year, but the guy is still money compared to most kickers in the NFL, just get him to take a paycut

same here i want him back, but it has to be at a cheaper price....I think the problem was he let all the money get to his head.

agree.....we need him back. he is still better then most other kickers. he needs to take a paycut.....but he didn't do so last offseason when asked to.....he'll need to now or find another job.

I too like Mare, but honestly I think he is losing his edge in Miami. Plus he is due a large paycheck in 04. If he went to a dome team he would be the best kicker in the league. He said so himself he would like to stay in Miami but if he had to go he'd enjoy a break from the often cross winds and infield dirt. I don't remember where I read that.

I would like to see Miami bring this kid (Can't remeber name) in who was with Denver 2 years ago and kicked a 65 yarder in preseason. Course they would not get rid of Elam. Last year he was in Dallas for preseason and went 9 for 9 but for some reason, mabye cuz he's a Rookie, he did not make the team.

He's got talent.

Mare is O.K. I like him also but...

Fact is he cost us two games.

He should of won the first NE game. Kicking on the dirt is better then the rain. No other kicker makes that excuse.

mare should reduce his salary. mare needs to stay. he is one of the better kickers in the league. he got the big contract and his stablity on the team unraveled.

first doug blevins was fired and then turk was not re signed. mare struggle all last season and then the first half of this season. a kickers game is not all physical, there is a mental aspect to what they do.

the one thing i have noticed since turks return is that mare's kicking is much better.

Originally posted by jbond
agree.....we need him back. he is still better then most other kickers. he needs to take a paycut.....but he didn't do so last offseason when asked to.....he'll need to now or find another job.

I don't remember him being asked to take a pay cut but he did restructure his contract late last season so the Dolphins had cap room to make late season moves. That made his future cap numbers look worse. Still I agree he should be in line for a pay cut.

Where can I find salary information on him and/or other dolphin players? I looked at the roster, but I don't see salaries listed. Would like to see the chunk they all make.

Originally posted by njfinfan
Where can I find salary information on him and/or other dolphin players? I looked at the roster, but I don't see salaries listed. Would like to see the chunk they all make.

NJFF, here is the info that I think you are looking for!

Link

GOOO FIIIINZ

:cooldude:

Wow - go figure. On this site 24-7 and somehow missed this great info. Thanks D.

njff

Originally posted by Merman

I don't remember him being asked to take a pay cut but he did restructure his contract late last season so the Dolphins had cap room to make late season moves. That made his future cap numbers look worse. Still I agree he should be in line for a pay cut.

paycut/restructure.....essentially means the same thing....they guarantee you less but give you incentives to 'match'...although often enough those incentives aren't met and the player actually makes less. anyways, Mare did NOT restructure his contract last offseason although he was asked to.

Originally posted by jbond

paycut/restructure.....essentially means the same thing....they guarantee you less but give you incentives to 'match'...although often enough those incentives aren't met and the player actually makes less. anyways, Mare did NOT restructure his contract last offseason although he was asked to.

Pay cut and restructure do not mean the same thing. A pay cut means reducing your salary only, a restructure is usually changing salary into signing bonus which is prorated.

Posted on Wed, Oct. 08, 2003
Relief for cap -- and Mare
By JASON COLE of The Miami Herald

By guaranteeing part of kicker Olindo Mare's contract, Miami saves about $500,000 -- money that could be used to sign a player in the event of an injury.

The Dolphins made a move in anticipation of another move later this season when they guaranteed part of kicker Olindo Mare's contract Tuesday.
It's simply a way of shuffling money under the salary cap at a time when the Dolphins were up against it. After releasing punter Mark Royals and signing Matt Turk to replace him, the Dolphins were about $127,000 under the cap's $75 million threshold.
So the team guaranteed about $900,000 of Mare's deal for the remainder of the season, saving about $500,000 against the cap and putting the Dolphins approximately $627,000 under the cap. That money effectively serves as insurance in case the team loses a player to injury and needs to sign someone else.
Mare signed a six-year, $12 million contract before the 2001 season, making him the highest-paid kicker in the NFL.

ya fiedler deserves 3.7 million a year :/

my bad, I know they asked him to in the off-season and he said no. I forgot that he did so after a week into the regular season.

Semantics on restructures.......ok, I'll give you technically a paycut is not a restructure. At the same time, 'restructuring' a contract guarantees less money to the player and increases the probability of that player never seeing that restructured money. Some goes into signing bonuses (spread over multiple years), some goes into incentives (how easy they make them is another thing depending on if they like you or not), or increased salaries for the future. Some players just never meet the incentives or aren't around in the future to collect on everything promised to them. I mean, if it was guaranteed they'd get it.....why do players hate having to "restructure" and many refuse to?

Back
Top Bottom