Mare | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mare

Originally posted by Dajesus

He was 17th in the NFL in FG%, but yet he is among the top 5 in money at the postion. The only guys that make around the same money that Mare makes are Elam, Janikowski, and Vanderjact. Those 3 combined missed 3 kicks all year. Including the extra point he missed Mare missed 8. The stat the troubles me the most is he was 3/6 in the 30-39 yard range. That should be 6/6, and could be the single reason Miami isn't in the playoffs. All 3 against New England. Obviously if he made 1 of the 2 in Miami we win that game. The one in NE was almost as big. The one he missed would have tied the game. It would have also prevented us from having the ball inside of our own 10 yard line, and may have changed our game plan. If we win thoose 2 games we win the AFC east, and have a bye in the first round. I don't want to see Mare in Mare next year. For 200,000 we can pick up a guy that can kick 75% just like Mare did, and save 1.8 mill next year.

I agree with everything you have said. Don't forget the 2002 season ending debacle when Mare kicked the ball out of bounds to give NE the ball at the 40 in OT.

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
Dolphins aren't the only team who's had to play with a dirt infield...that excuse is a cop-out. :rolleyes:
mare is not the only one to miss an important field goal either! WIDE RIGHT!:lol:

DF1, I agree with you that we should give Mare another year to improve his performance. We know that the FO has given numerous chances to others that don't deserve it.

As to your question on Mares' time with Matt Turk, they are:

Mare and Turk were together in 00-01. Being in New York, for 2002, Turk returned again early in the season, playing in the Giants game, the NE game was a few games later.

In 00'-01' with Turk he was 47 of 52 (.90%).

In 02'-03' without Turk he was 26 of 33 (.78 %).

In 03' with Turk he was 20 of 27 (.74%).

Hope this help....

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Originally posted by finfan54

your kiddin right? he wasnt all that good last year either. the only thing he is doing great is kickoffs. has anyone noticed this? that mare hasnt been as good since that parapalegic guy left? things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Mare SUCKS!

He needs to go. When a kicker starts missing extra points, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that he has lost his touch.

He has not been as reliable as you would like this past year.

Re: Some of the 2004 Draft Top Kickers

Originally posted by Disnardo

I might be off with the top prospects bit, but, these players I have seen in 2 draft websites.

Nate Keading (Iowa), 6-0", 170 lbs, FG= 46-53 (.86 %). This guy is the best of the lot, also 5-6 FGs of 50+ yds.

Peter Veldman (Pennsylvania), 6-2", 190 lbs, FG= 22-33 (.81 %)

Drew Dunning (Wash), 5-11", 170 lbs, FG= 63-81 (.77 %).

Billy Bennett (Georgia), 5-8", 170 lbs, FG= 72-94 (.76 %).

Steve Azar (Northern Ill), 5-7", 193 lbs, FG= 59-77 (.76 %).

Nate Keading has the potential to be the next Mr. Automatic....

I also don't know what round they will go or if they will be FA, but Nate will surely be drafted in the mid-lower rounds I believe.

Don't be alarmed by those 70 % kickers above. There are only 10 kickers in the NFL currently that are averaging above 80 % (within the last 4 years), Mare is currently one of them at 83 %.

Just info for those who would like to know....

GOOO FIIINZ

I seriously expect us the Dolphins to after Keading!!!!....We also will miss Mare's TB's thaa are a hugh + for us!!!..How well did Keading do on KB's??

Here is the problem.........With what kickers are making......If Keading gets an agent that has half a brain......Keading would only except a two year contract....thus when he becomes available...he will be making the same money that Mare is making......so you save money for two years.....Is it worth it?

Originally posted by Section126
Here is the problem.........With what kickers are making......If Keading gets an agent that has half a brain......Keading would only except a two year contract....thus when he becomes available...he will be making the same money that Mare is making......so you save money for two years.....Is it worth it?

Well if i recall it all depends on where hes drafted!!...But more then likely it's what he'll do!!!....I am not sure its the best thing to do because we have to remember 1 thing....Out snappers have sucked all year too!!!

Hey guys and gals I think Mare is still a decent kicker, just not worth what he has been making for the last 2 years due to his performance.

He has been in the league 7 years now, he is no rookie, sure they let his coach go, due to cirumstances beyond his control. They brought in a different snapper this year due to Perry's injury, but Perry was snapping last year, and with a new holder (Royals), he was inconsistant. This year they brought Turk (holder) back and with 2 different snappers he still was inconsistant.

I am saying for that performance, if he maintains it again this year, either cut his payroll or get another rookie kicker, in next years' draft (2005), because it will be 3 years that his production has deminished.

GOOO FIIINZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by dolfan06
mare is not the only one to miss an important field goal either! WIDE RIGHT!:lol:
But we don't make excuses about it...he choked, that's life. Not, "He would've made it if it weren't for that dirt infield:cry: :cry: :cry: " Yeah, and I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and that damn dog:lol:

Re: Re: Some of the 2004 Draft Top Kickers

Originally posted by musphinzfan

I seriously expect us the Dolphins to after Keading!!!!....We also will miss Mare's TB's thaa are a hugh + for us!!!..How well did Keading do on KB's??

I have not been able to get any information on Nate Keading’s touchbacks stats. I don’t believe schools use them, but here is some feedback on this kid’s ability. I believe if he drops to lower rounds or FA, he will be inexpensive and worth a try, to improve our ST. At least the Fins should keep him in the Practice Squad.

He set an Iowa record for most consecutive FG between 01 and 02 with 31 attempts. Also set school record (2002) for PAT (57) and PAT attempts (58).

2003 Honors- First team All-American by the Sporting News; pre-season first team by Athlon Sports.

2002 Honors- Winner of Lou Groza Collegiate Place Kicker Award; first team All-American by Football Writers Assoc, by Sporting News, and by CNNSI.com; second team All-American by AP.

from article written by Marc Morehouse (Gazette sportswriter), December 30, 2001.

“Kaeding didn't have any problems Saturday.
The sophomore kicker from Iowa City booted a 47-yard field goal with 44 seconds remaining to lift the Hawkeyes to a 19-16 Alamo Bowl victory over Texas Tech before 65,232 fans.

Kaeding's four field goals (36, 31, 46 and 47) helped the Hawkeyes (7-5) to their first bowl victory since blanking Tech, 27-0, in the '96 Alamo Bowl."

This shows me that he can play under pressure, making those game winning FG :)

What have we got to loose? At least let Mare know that he needs to improve his inconsistancy, well as he should know by now that not even DW's job is secured.

GOOO FIIINZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by CirclingWagons
But we don't make excuses about it...he choked, that's life. Not, "He would've made it if it weren't for that dirt infield:cry: :cry: :cry: " Yeah, and I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and that damn dog:lol:
if there were kids there, you should have let them kick it!:o

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
Hmm...I never really thought about the whole Mare situation in terms of releasing him. I just figured Miami should cut his pay, but after looking at some of the facts in this thread, I have to say..maybe the Dolphins should drop him.

This young kicker Nate Kaeding does sound pretty good.

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Nate Kaeding
i'd keep mare!;)

I'd keep Mare too. But I'd try to alter his contract.

We're not going to get anybody better than him.

Originally posted by dolfan06
i'd rather a team score TD's and forget about the friggin field goal.;)

That's the misconseption we have had for the last few years. The defense has not scored enough points for them to win games...

That being said that the media, sports analysts, fan base and the likes use this talented team as a synonym for this talented defense. The talented is lobsided, but people still call it a talented team.

GOOO FIIINZ

Back
Top Bottom