Mare | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mare

Originally posted by Phin-o-rama
ya fiedler deserves 3.7 million a year :/

Yup just like Griese deserves 6 mil a year.

Send his *** to Arizona.

Oh and Mare needs to restructure big time.

Originally posted by jbond

Semantics on restructures.......ok, I'll give you technically a paycut is not a restructure. At the same time, 'restructuring' a contract guarantees less money to the player and increases the probability of that player never seeing that restructured money. Some goes into signing bonuses (spread over multiple years), some goes into incentives (how easy they make them is another thing depending on if they like you or not), or increased salaries for the future. Some players just never meet the incentives or aren't around in the future to collect on everything promised to them. I mean, if it was guaranteed they'd get it.....why do players hate having to "restructure" and many refuse to?

That's not right. Restructure usually means guarantying base salary which makes it a signing bonus. The reduction in salary plus only a portion of the guaranteed money, because it is prorated, yields the cap savings.

In Mare's case his salary was reduced to the minimum for a player with his experience, $530k from $1.5m. The difference was guaranteed making it signing bonus. ($970k / 4 years)
Mare didn't lose a thing.

A salary cut with incentives to make the deal palatable gives cap space with no future problems unless there are NLTBE incentives that the player achieves. The player loses the money in the salary reduction unless he is given incentives to make part of the reduction back. Even if the player makes the incentives he loses the reduction in pay between the original salary and the new lower salary and the incentives. .

As far as I'm concerned, Mare should be cut. Once kickers lose their edge its time to cut them loose. We saw it happen with Fuad Reveiz, we saw it happen with Stoyo and it will continue to get worse with Mare. Why do we need to pay a kicker so much money anyways?

merman, so what happens if Mare isn't with us for 4 years? Does he still get the 'signing bonus'? Is that the 'dead' cap 'space' that exists after a player is gone? Do we still give him his bonus year after year although he isn't here, or does another team pick that up, what about him retiring, being fired/traded, or does that 'bonus' get renegotiated down the road as well by either us or a new team so that it is reduced?

I guess I've viewed that as a way for teams to meet 'salary cap' requirements, while delaying paying the player, that will not be there in the future, so as to never really have to pay the player.

Originally posted by jbond
merman, so what happens if Mare isn't with us for 4 years? Does he still get the 'signing bonus'? Is that the 'dead' cap 'space' that exists after a player is gone? Do we still give him his bonus year after year although he isn't here, or does another team pick that up, what about him retiring, being fired/traded, or does that 'bonus' get renegotiated down the road as well by either us or a new team so that it is reduced?

I guess I've viewed that as a way for teams to meet 'salary cap' requirements, while delaying paying the player, that will not be there in the future, so as to never really have to pay the player.

Yes the signing bonus is already received by the player and is the dead money if the player is released or traded.

Yes a signing bonus is a way to meet cap restraints. The player is paid immediately and the amount is prorated into the future. All this cap talk is going to get us booted into the salary cap forum so post there if you want to continue with this type of thread. There is a thread there about learning the salary cap. I gave a link there to an excellent FAQ and urge you to read it. You will enjoy it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I say we draft a K in the 6th or 7th round to replace Mare.

Some of the 2004 Draft Top Kickers

Originally posted by Gonk

I might be off with the top prospects bit, but, these players I have seen in 2 draft websites.

Nate Keading (Iowa), 6-0", 170 lbs, FG= 46-53 (.86 %). This guy is the best of the lot, also 5-6 FGs of 50+ yds.

Peter Veldman (Pennsylvania), 6-2", 190 lbs, FG= 22-33 (.81 %)

Drew Dunning (Wash), 5-11", 170 lbs, FG= 63-81 (.77 %).

Billy Bennett (Georgia), 5-8", 170 lbs, FG= 72-94 (.76 %).

Steve Azar (Northern Ill), 5-7", 193 lbs, FG= 59-77 (.76 %).

Nate Keading has the potential to be the next Mr. Automatic....

I also don't know what round they will go or if they will be FA, but Nate will surely be drafted in the mid-lower rounds I believe.

Don't be alarmed by those 70 % kickers above. There are only 10 kickers in the NFL currently that are averaging above 80 % (within the last 4 years), Mare is currently one of them at 83 %.

Just info for those who would like to know....

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
I want mare back... but at a much cheaper price. He had a bad year, but the guy is still money compared to most kickers in the NFL, just get him to take a paycut

your kiddin right? he wasnt all that good last year either. the only thing he is doing great is kickoffs. has anyone noticed this? that mare hasnt been as good since that parapalegic guy left? things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Originally posted by Gonk
why are you on mare's case. he had a bad year, so what. when he has 2 or 3 bad years, then complain!:rolleyes:

His 2002 year was also subpar and 2003 so two years.

The strange thing is that the guy is just barely over 31. That's not even kicking prime yet (bout 33) and this guy is getting worse???

What the hell???

hes been too good in the past, and like you said, still relatively young for kickers. Not ready to give up on him yet, take a pay cut, bring in someone to push him a little, but i think mare should be the guy

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
hes been too good in the past, and like you said, still relatively young for kickers. Not ready to give up on him yet, take a pay cut, bring in someone to push him a little, but i think mare should be the guy
mare has been a good kicker in the past. won some big games. if the offense would get its **** together, a bad year by mare wouldn't stand out as much!:rolleyes:

Dolfan06 just a question, why does almost every post of yours have the rolling eyes smile. No problem with it, just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom