Marino Reigns Supreme in new ESPN study | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Reigns Supreme in new ESPN study

I started following the Dolphins in 72, but the peak for me of enjoying watching Dolphins football were the Marino years. He revolutionized the game.

Incredible watching those highlights, travesty that he never got a ring. To do what he did in an era when dbs were allowed to actually be physical with receivers up and down the field, truly was a thing of beauty watching him place the ball right on the money while buying time in the pocket. Thanks for sharing that video.

Incredible watching those highlights, travesty that he never got a ring. To do what he did in an era when dbs were allowed to actually be physical with receivers up and down the field, truly was a thing of beauty watching him place the ball right on the money while buying time in the pocket. Thanks for sharing that video.
Most skilled QB in history, IMO.

Marino didn't take long once he made up his mind where he was going with the ball, one of the quickest releases ever. We also played Buffalo with Bruce Smith, and Cornbread twice every year. Marino took a beating every game, mostly releasing the ball just before he got creamed. QB's in those days didn't wear skirts.

New Article and Study Finds what most of us already know...what Marino did in 84 dwarfs what these new QBs are doing in the "don't touch the QB and Receiver" era.

" Best Passing TD Seasons

ESPN Illustration
Pct. Above Avg. Starter (Since 1970)
SEASONPLAYER, TEAMPASS TDAVG. STARTER% ABOVE AVG.
1986Dan Marino, MIA4416.0175.0
2007Tom Brady, NE5018.5170.7
1984Dan Marino, MIA4817.8169.9
2013Peyton Manning, DEN5521.9150.7
2004Peyton Manning, IND4919.9146.2
Takeaways

• Before Peyton Manning and Tom Brady came along and rewrote the NFL record books, it was Marino blowing everyone away. His 1984 and 1986 campaigns show up as two of the three most dominant seasons on both of our QB lists. He was putting up 40-TD seasons at a time when throwing 30 TDs would have been enough to lead the NFL most years. It's also interesting to note that while Brady's 50-TD season in 2007 came during the NFL's air attack era, the average starting QB was still throwing fewer than 20 TDs. Brady and Manning helped usher in an era when throwing near the goal line became the norm instead of the exception. -- Michael Proia"
Brady and Manning were constantly lobbying the league for the rules changes that led to their eventual huge seasons and many others…..

Anybody who lived through those eras and knows the history of the truth knows these facts and knows how “Monster” it is what Marino accomplished!

QB’s got hit on nearly every passing play!

Too young to have watch Marino in his prime. I got the JJ years! Shame..

Whom would you compare his arm strenght to in today's NFL? J.Herbert?
I recall watching Josh Allen's college highlights years ago during the draft, where the ball jump/pops whatever out of his hand the same way as Marino's. Watching him (Allen) last season I saw him roll and direct the receivers the way Mario used to before throwing a strike, although Allen is a great deal faster.

Herbert, doesn't have quite the same jump but he has the appearance effortless arm motion ala Marino and more of the accuracy Marino had as well.

I doubt we will see the Marino package again, his processing ability combined with the strength and control (especially in 84-86) was something to be enjoyed live.

New Article and Study Finds what most of us already know...what Marino did in 84 dwarfs what these new QBs are doing in the "don't touch the QB and Receiver" era.

" Best Passing TD Seasons

ESPN Illustration
Pct. Above Avg. Starter (Since 1970)
SEASONPLAYER, TEAMPASS TDAVG. STARTER% ABOVE AVG.
1986Dan Marino, MIA4416.0175.0
2007Tom Brady, NE5018.5170.7
1984Dan Marino, MIA4817.8169.9
2013Peyton Manning, DEN5521.9150.7
2004Peyton Manning, IND4919.9146.2
Takeaways

• Before Peyton Manning and Tom Brady came along and rewrote the NFL record books, it was Marino blowing everyone away. His 1984 and 1986 campaigns show up as two of the three most dominant seasons on both of our QB lists. He was putting up 40-TD seasons at a time when throwing 30 TDs would have been enough to lead the NFL most years. It's also interesting to note that while Brady's 50-TD season in 2007 came during the NFL's air attack era, the average starting QB was still throwing fewer than 20 TDs. Brady and Manning helped usher in an era when throwing near the goal line became the norm instead of the exception. -- Michael Proia"
F@cking A. Then consider that there was no special little quadrant of protection around him and the skill players weren't wearing gecko hymen sticky gloves.

Am i mistaken in watching his pocket movemt and thinking Tua is similiar in this department?
No. You are totally right ANU. I've seen it too. Tua has that little dance in the pocket akin to Marino's. Now Tua also has some decent wheels on him that Marino never really had but in the pocket his movement is very similar. Tua's release time is actually faster.

Dan Marino had one thing in common with Bret Farve and that was their ability to turn over the ball. Dan at times push the ball in desperation to create a play. A lot of times that resulted in turn overs for dan. Duper and clayton were able to catch those passes early on. If Dan could have gotten a ring it would have been against san franscisco because that problem continued on all the way to his disastrous last game. Marino to some extent is overly celebrated by us but we dont come into terms with all the post season exits that ended the same. It wasnt that he didnt have a running game and etc if you were watching the games you would know this.

Am i mistaken in watching his pocket movemt and thinking Tua is similiar in this department?
Very similar. Both have compact deliveries and lightning quick releases. Dan had a stronger arm and Tua is more athletic, but definitely similar in throwing styles.

Dan Marino had one thing in common with Bret Farve and that was their ability to turn over the ball. Dan at times push the ball in desperation to create a play. A lot of times that resulted in turn overs for dan. Duper and clayton were able to catch those passes early on. If Dan could have gotten a ring it would have been against san franscisco because that problem continued on all the way to his disastrous last game. Marino to some extent is overly celebrated by us but we dont come into terms with all the post season exits that ended the same. It wasnt that he didnt have a running game and etc if you were watching the games you would know this.
Clueless

Yeah, no. I am 53 years old and started watching the Miami Dolphins in 1978 when I was ten. I saw all the Dolphins games throughout the years, including obviously every single one of the Marino-era games, playoffs included.

Dan may have thrown desperation passes late in games to try and bring us back when nothing else was working. But don't get it ****ed up, we never had a good running game and most of the time had no real defense. Tom Olivadotti is arguably the greatest villain in franchise history (and shame on Shula for not getting rid of him sooner out of misplaced loyalty).

We lost those games for several different reasons - but not a single one of them was Dan Marino. F this revisionist history crap I keep seeing pop up every so often in recent years, somehow blaming Dan for playoff losses. Shame on you to perpetuate it.

IMO Marino's greatest strengths were his lightning release, accuracy and pocket movement. In those three areas I see a ton of similarity with Tua. In fact, I would argue to that tools-wise Tua is just as good in those three areas coming in. It's a big reason why I have so much confidence in Tua developing into the guy most of us want him to be.

Below average defenses, below average running backs, below average tight ends, above average receiving units..

All that applies to his whole career.

giphy.gif

Marino's passing prowess had no equal during his time. Dan Fouts' stats were inflated by the Don Coryell offense. He ushered in the era of the modern NFL passer with his overall mechanics. Clearly a talent ahead of the times that the Dolphins failed to capitalize on with a championship.

Back
Top Bottom