Marino Reigns Supreme in new ESPN study | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Reigns Supreme in new ESPN study

I find it funny that it's taken them this long to acknowledge what I've known for over 20 years. Marino is the best QB we'll ever see play. That's the undisputed GOAT of the position.

I stand by my assertion that Dan Marino is the best QB I've ever seen play the game. I started watching football in 1970. He may not be the best winner but he is the best to play the QB position bar anyone I've seen. If he played in this NFL they would have to change the rules, also factor in that they can't touch the receivers either shyt that would be abuse. To all that don't remember during Dan's days they could practically mug the receiver and the middle of the field for a lot of the receivers was not an option because they could knock your block off. See Philadelphia Eagles vs Houston Oilers during the Warren Moon era as QB for Houston and Buddy Ryan years as coach of the Eagles. It's the year that Houston called itself the "House of Pain", Buddy said it's the house of pain alright but we bringing the pain and they did. Back to the topic of Dan being the greatest I've seen play the game, it's an understatement and what the Dolphins as an organization did/didn't do for him was shameful. I'm referring to the organization not putting a competent team around Dan.

It's crazy to think about but we waited how many years to draft a QB in the 1st round after Marino retired?

Oh he absolutely did put air under it when it was required. The 85 yard TD to Duper in ‘84 at home against the Colts is a good example. But the long lasers that could drop over the CB and under the S help only worked as often as they did because there was no air on them. I’ve never seen another QB do that with regularity like Dan did. Keep in mind most of these WRs were 5’9” with no catch radius - no one was more accurate in the history of the game.

Anyone recall the skills competition at the pro bowl where they have to hit moving targets at 10,20,30,40 yards? Some guys couldn’t even hit the 10 yard one. Marino bullseyed every single one - the other QBs were in awe (I remember a young Drew Bledsoe gawking). Watch those clips. Those are dimes to a lot of covered guys. And they are NOT remotely jump balls.
I mean, sure, he could put air under it, but I meant compared to guys like Elway. If memory serves, that 85-yarder wasn't nearly that far in the air. Again, he had a rocket arm, but it was easier to appreciate in medium and long routes than in deep routes.

giphy.gif

Of course no one wants to talk about that. Marino did not throw over double digit interceptions about 3 times during his 17 year career, and had over 20 interceptions 4 times in his career. Marino will always be the best qb enshrined in my mind but let's not get stupid here.

Marino's passing prowess had no equal during his time. Dan Fouts' stats were inflated by the Don Coryell offense. He ushered in the era of the modern NFL passer with his overall mechanics. Clearly a talent ahead of the times that the Dolphins failed to capitalize on with a championship.
Had Dan Fouts stayed healthier we would be having another conversation. At a time where it wasn't a pure passing era, Dan Fouts threw 4k 3 times straight. Now as for Marino, the amount of throwing attempts have an effect on his numbers as well, so why are you discrediting fouts?

Way, way back (1991) when they’d have the QB challenge on a Saturday afternoon, Marino was trailing going into the last event which was the read and recognition as they called it. What happened next was pure Marino. Check the video below. I don’t care if Marino is generally considered the greatest to ever play. I only care that, for me, Marino is the greatest to ever play.

Also notice in that video that he beats Steve DeBerg in the overall standings based on his last throw, so you hear him saying “You did it to me again!” after Marino was done. Referring, of course, to Marino’s comeback win against KC the previous January.

Last edited:
I mean, sure, he could put air under it, but I meant compared to guys like Elway. If memory serves, that 85-yarder wasn't nearly that far in the air. Again, he had a rocket arm, but it was easier to appreciate in medium and long routes than in deep routes.
That 85 yarder went an insane distance and went up so high - but your point stands. The reason he was so deadly is he didn’t let them hang in the air

elaborate on that, are you trying to tell me marino didn't throw needless interceptions throughout his career?
It was a totally different era when he played. QB's were barely at 60% in completions. You just have no clue what you are talking about. He carried the team for nearly fifteen years. He never played with a legitimate defense, really never played with a decent true running back in an era when running the ball was at a premium, and for as much credit as the offensive lines he played with get, their results were more a product of Marino's quick release and pocket savvy. I was never impressed with the offensive lines the team assembled around him. They were overrated. He made inferior teams competitive for nearly his whole career. Even when Miami was clearly the inferior team heading into a game, Miami always had a punchers chance of winning the game because of Marino. He was the most feared passer in the league for nearly two decades.

It was a totally different era when he played. QB's were barely at 60% in completions. You just have no clue what you are talking about. He carried the team for nearly fifteen years. He never played with a legitimate defense, really never played with a decent true running back in an era when running the ball was at a premium, and for as much credit as the offensive lines he played with get, their results were more a product of Marino's quick release and pocket savvy. I was never impressed with the offensive lines the team assembled around him. They were overrated. He made inferior teams competitive for nearly his whole career. Even when Miami was clearly the inferior team heading into a game, Miami always had a punchers chance of winning the game because of Marino. He was the most feared passer in the league for nearly two decades.

Cool story bro.

Peyton is probably my 2nd fave of all time after Dan
Peyton was great to watch but very different than Dan, Peyton leaned on film study, Dan played like it was the backyard, which is again why I feel like Rivers is a better comp

Back
Top Bottom