Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

Argh...maybe! What if they go 8-8 and squeeze into the playoffs? Now what?

My point is that record is likely fools gold and now you're stuck in a situation where the preception is they're "close" with Matt and Julio.

How do you sell a tear down now?

the contracts dont hurt as bad to remove ryan and julio is what you push in the interview. but you're right. you almost have to go another season with that core

the contracts dont hurt as bad to remove ryan and julio is what you push in the interview. but you're right. you almost have to go another season with that core

Agreed and that 1st season and that other season isn't likely going to be looked at "free years" you're likely going to get fired at the end of it and the OTHER guy is going to come in and do what should have been done from the beginning.

Remember that 3rd is a comp pick it's pretty low. Dropping from 3 to 12 was a big jump. And SF have a roster that could make both those firsts very late. If for example ATL traded with Denver got 9, next year's 1st (which lets face it could be very high, Denver aren't great) their 2nd this year, maybe a 5th rounder or something. I would probably take that deal over the one we got from SF. Denver much more likely to be picking top 10 next year than SF, you can parlay that into a 2023 first if you want.
All true.

But I'm thinking they come in fourth behind LAR, AZ, and SEA :D

Slim chance they trade with Carolina. Same division...
True. However the 4th pick may be a lil different - the falcons may not have think much of whatever QB is left and wouldn’t mind

Here are the details of Matt Ryan's contract:

I've heard people say that ATL can't release Ryan after next season because the dead cap hit is $40MM. First, that's not true. If they designate him a post June 1 cut, the cap hit is $25MM in '22 and $15.6MM in '23. That's absorbable if your active QB is on a rookie scale deal. If they don't release Ryan after next season his cap hit will be $48.6MM for 2022 and $43.6MM in 2023!!! And unlike this year, there's no viable option to lower those numbers.

After next season the shell game with his salary is over, they will have about $40MM of cap hit left from previous years AND a cash salary of $24MM and $28MM in '22 and '23. I don't know how ATL can absorb those cash salaries in addition to the $40MM of rollover cap hit from that position.

Atlanta MUST draft a QB because they have to shed salary after next year and a good free agent QB would be too expensive. Their only route is a rookie deal and absorb the dead cap hit by releasing Ryan as a post June 1 cut after next season.

IMO the 1st 4 picks must be QB's (ATL is the only one where people were having questions) and after yesterday, there's no way Cinci tells Burrow he can't have Chase. That means Kyle Pitts is a Dolphin (bittersweet for me because I love Pitts but am also sad to lose out on Smith)
I have no idea why the Falcons would want to draft the 4th QB in this draft. There aren’t 4 first round quality QB’s in this draft and they already have Ryan who is better right now than every QB in the draft, IMO.

If the Falcons had the first pick or possibly the second pick, perhaps drafting a QB would make sense. But drafting a QB that the first 3 teams didn’t want tells me that the Falcons would be better off drafting the top player at another position on the board than the fourth QB. QB’s are usually drafted much too high anyway and I will be extremely surprised if the Falcons remain at 4 and decide to draft a QB.

I could see them trading down with a team that wants one of the two QB’s still on the board but I just don’t see them drafting a QB who has as much chance of being a bust as he does becoming a quality starter in the NFL.

I believe Pitts goes to the Falcons- Chase goes to the Bengals- Smith or Waddle is drafted by the Dolphins.

I have no idea why the Falcons would want to draft the 4th QB in this draft. There aren’t 4 first round quality QB’s in this draft and they already have Ryan who is better right now than every QB in the draft, IMO.

If the Falcons had the first pick or possibly the second pick, perhaps drafting a QB would make sense. But drafting a QB that the first 3 teams didn’t want tells me that the Falcons would be better off drafting the top player at another position on the board than the fourth QB. QB’s are usually drafted much too high anyway and I will be extremely surprised if the Falcons remain at 4 and decide to draft a QB.

I could see them trading down with a team that wants one of the two QB’s still on the board but I just don’t see them drafting a QB who has as much chance of being a bust as he does becoming a quality starter in the NFL.

I believe Pitts goes to the Falcons- Chase goes to the Bengals- Smith or Waddle is drafted by the Dolphins.

4th QB in this draft is exactly how they end up in their respective careers. Are you being serious right now?

I think you gotta hope for Atlanta to trade out of #4. Matty Ice has a few more years left and they can trade down and get defensive help and more picks. IMO, Hayden Hurst is a very good TE for them and I think Pitts is a wasted pick. They should trade back and draft defense and any team trading up will be looking to grab a QB.

Back
Top Bottom