McDaniel’s issues | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel’s issues

Do you think a big reason for these issues in McDaniel’s first year was because he was more focused on looking at the play sheet and calling plays?
Yes... because he needs an OC who can call the plays...

and a DC who doesn't give up 25 PPG... so he isn't distracted playing catch-up instead of focusing on his game plan...IMO

McDaniel’s clock management issues as well as other things that shot us in the foot consistently definitely haunted us all season.

Do you think a big reason for these issues in McDaniel’s first year was because he was more focused on looking at the play sheet and calling plays?

I’m not making that an excuse for the consistent issues by any means and we need to fix it this offseason. Just curious on what y’all think
Look I like him alot and his imo needs an old head in offensive coaching.
Not here to pick him apart but
* lack of adjustment in chargers game when that sat in passing lanes.
* bills game management when we had ball in the snow not running ball, that screen pass was the wrong play and probably cost us chance for field goal attempt.
* clock management issues in bills wildcard game.
* pre snap movement penalties in particular on lineman.

heres a question someone might have an answer to. I dont have any issues with Mike McD's play calling for the most part. My question is....who all can be in Tuas ear. Is McD having to relay the call to the OC and then OC calling it in to the QB or does it go straight from Mike McD to Tua?

If McD has to relay it to an OC first then he is definately going to have to be more deliberate with his wording and getting it upstairs.

He needs to spend all offseason being deliberate and calling plays in a headset to his wife in the other room. Just practice letting the plays roll off your tongue..

One of the other internal questions i have, other than above..... Does Mike McD wants the offense more designed to break the huddle with a short time frame to try to prevent defensive adjustments at the line? Maybe he's thinking if the guys get set with 3 seconds and snap with 1 second then the defense wont have as long to rad the play and try to adjust accordingly. If he knows hes not going to let Skylar audible anyways then it doesnt make a difference whether the line is set at 10 seconds or 3 seconds from a strategical point of view.

I think his arrow is pointed up. For sure there were issues this year...and he's gonna improve. Will he ever satisfy all by next year? Prolly not...but he'll be better and the Oline will be better and the TE position will be better and we're gonna run the ball more and Tua will be back and and and. All I got. For now.
I mean it's just his 1st year and we hear cries of fire him on here lol 🐻

heres a question someone might have an answer to. I dont have any issues with Mike McD's play calling for the most part. My question is....who all can be in Tuas ear. Is McD having to relay the call to the OC and then OC calling it in to the QB or does it go straight from Mike McD to Tua?

If McD has to relay it to an OC first then he is definately going to have to be more deliberate with his wording and getting it upstairs.

He needs to spend all offseason being deliberate and calling plays in a headset to his wife in the other room. Just practice letting the plays roll off your tongue..

One of the other internal questions i have, other than above..... Does Mike McD wants the offense more designed to break the huddle with a short time frame to try to prevent defensive adjustments at the line? Maybe he's thinking if the guys get set with 3 seconds and snap with 1 second then the defense wont have as long to rad the play and try to adjust accordingly. If he knows hes not going to let Skylar audible anyways then it doesnt make a difference whether the line is set at 10 seconds or 3 seconds from a strategical point of view.
There's a reason he's waiting till the last milli second to get the play off what is is I have no clue 🐻.

He's a Rookie coach and did a dam good job. Took refs and dropped passes to best us on the road in Buffalo. McDaniels is going to be here a long long time. He will fix the mistakes he done. No rookie coach did a perfect season.
I would be on board with an old veteran coach as an advisor for him as well.

yup first possession to waddle is the missing 3 points right there

I would be on board with an old veteran coach as an advisor for him as well.
That's fine. As long he does the media and runs the 53 , and calls plays. Old school manage game help can work.

The play calling process is too slow. I don’t know the lingo, but it has to be changed if it takes that long to relay it. Another solution would be to put the plays on a numbered wrist band. The process has to be sped up.
To that point, it seemed rare that Miami got right to line on those third and short or fourth and short plays.

Work through the options in practice and get to the line. Most of those plays end up being pretty basic. It's more or less winning in the trenches, qb sneaks etc.

To that point, it seemed rare that Miami got right to line on those third and short or fourth and short plays.

Work through the options in practice and get to the line. Most of those plays end up being pretty basic. It's more or less winning in the trenches, qb sneaks etc.
As a coach I get why he had those issues. Sometimes there are just two voices in your ear and it creates doubt. Plus you got several coaches in your ear talking to each other over the headset.

There needs to be a process to streamline that communication. It's easier said than done. It's not as simple as analysts think as there are several different moving pieces

Back
Top Bottom