McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8

Thats my reaction too. If WR is the target and one doesn't stand head and shoulders above the rest, you take what you can get and move to 8. One of the big 3 WR's will be there at 8, and if they aren't, that means Pitts and Parsons are. Also would mean one of the top 4 QB's is still out there and you may be able to grab another high pick to drop a few slots and still pick up a stud. That might present the ultimate win-win. What are the odds we could accumulate a 2021 2nd and maybe two 2022 1sts and still end up with one of the top 3 WR's or Pitts? Doesn't feel impossible to me.

I think this all comes down to whether Miami loves a player, be it one of the WR or even Sewell/Parsons. If they don't, I think they have a ton of options to accumulate picks.
You are not getting any 2022 first unless you drop back to 19-24

I’m taking the most I can get, but I am trading down if possible as long as we get what the value chart says we should get.

Just MHO, but the chart is the base line. If a team is obsessed with a player, the price rises. If there are 3 teams bidding, the price rises. That said, it all depends on projection. If, for example, Miami sees the first seven picks as including 2QBs, LB, CB, OT, Miami should have a shot at one of 2-3 WRs. If they see 3 WRs gone, not so much. OTOH, no one knows Miami's board.

You are not getting any 2022 first unless you drop back to 19-24

I mean that just isn't true.

Here is the Wentz trade from 2016: Eagles moved up from 8 to 2.

The Eagles get: The No. 2 pick in 2016 and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Browns get: The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

So factoring this trade . . . and us having the 3 pick instead of the 2 pick, lets say that difference is us losing the 2nd round pick.

The final trade for us would be 3 for 8, 73 and the 2022 first.

I mean that just isn't true.

Here is the Wentz trade from 2016: Eagles moved up from 8 to 2.

The Eagles get: The No. 2 pick in 2016 and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Browns get: The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

So factoring this trade . . . and us having the 3 pick instead of the 2 pick, lets say that difference is us losing the 2nd round pick.

The final trade for us would be 3 for 8, 73 and the 2022 first.
It could happen. Me personally, I would not give 2 first to move 5 spots up

All of this will depend on how many teams are still QB desperate on draft day.

Everyone knows that we are likely to be the first team willing to trade down (apart from the small % that it's the Jesters), so everyone who needs a QB is already speaking with Grier. These guys talk... and Grier has probably already got a pretty good idea of which 3-4 teams are the most serious about acquiring our pick.

It's a good place to be. No... it's a GREAT place to be.

It could happen. Me personally, I would not give 2 first to move 5 spots up

I mean you are getting back a higher valued first and the QB you covet.

Watson is probably gonna net 3 firsts and more. Lets say Zach Wilson has a Justin Herbert first year, or Fields is like Deshaun, That 2022 first, which could be anywhere from pick 1 to pick 32 will seem like a distant memory for Carolina. And they fill their biggest need and will increase in value over time.

It is also why you have seen some of the most respected posters on here, guys who absolutely believe Tua will be a great QB, still take a QB with the 3 pick, because that maximizes the pick. Carolina is getting off easy by securing one this way.

But this is the game you play as GM. Grier held off at the 5 pick and it paid off for him as the one he wanted fell to him.

Back
Top Bottom