McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8

I mean you are getting back a higher valued first and the QB you covet.

Watson is probably gonna net 3 firsts and more. Lets say Zach Wilson has a Justin Herbert first year, or Fields is like Deshaun, That 2022 first, which could be anywhere from pick 1 to pick 32 will seem like a distant memory for Carolina. And they fill their biggest need and will increase in value over time.

It is also why you have seen some of the most respected posters on here, guys who absolutely believe Tua will be a great QB, still take a QB with the 3 pick, because that maximizes the pick. Carolina is getting off easy by securing one this way.

But this is the game you play as GM. Grier held off at the 5 pick and it paid off for him as the one he wanted fell to him.
We had a huge advantage in that last year... we had so many picks that other teams really did not want to bid against us.

It would have been like going all in against the guy with a big stack of chips and a feral smile on his face.

Tua dropped, not because he was bad, but because we had the board covered.

Carolina says they will not give you a 2022 first but offers 2022 second, you staying at #3?
Yes. First round picks historically have a higher rate of success than second round picks. To me it isn’t worth going from 3 to 8 for an additional second round pick in 2021 and 2022. I would tell them it has to be their first round pick in 2022 along with 8 and a second round pick this year or no deal.

I mean that just isn't true.

Here is the Wentz trade from 2016: Eagles moved up from 8 to 2.

The Eagles get: The No. 2 pick in 2016 and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Browns get: The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

So factoring this trade . . . and us having the 3 pick instead of the 2 pick, lets say that difference is us losing the 2nd round pick.

The final trade for us would be 3 for 8, 73 and the 2022 first.

While this is true whoever trades to the #3 spot is most likely picking the #3 ranked QB prospect. Wentz was the #2 ranked QB by most. Also the rest of that QB class was not very good after Goff and Wentz. And it's seems that many aren't as high on Fields/lance/Jones to give up that much. It would certainly make me nervous as well because those guys have some question marks. Now, if Zach Wilson is still on the board at #3 then I could see a team falling in love with him and willing to trade something similar to what the eagles gave up for Wentz.

Last edited:
Trading down to 6 or 8 sounds like a great option for us, IMHO. If available, I'd prefer Ja'Marr Chase, but Smith has high potential as well.

their #73 and #135 this year and their next year's first

While this is true whoever trades to the #3 spot is most likely picking the #3 ranked QB prospect. Wentz was the #2 ranked QB by most. And it's seems that many aren't as high on Fields/lance/Jones to give up that much. It would certainly make me nervous as well because those guys have some question marks. Now, if Zach Wilson is still on the board at #3 then I could see a team falling in love with him and willing to trade something similar to what the eagles gave up for Wentz.

I mean I don't know about others, but I am very high on Fields. He is QB1 IMO so if he is there at 3 then I'm sure there will be heavy interest, including the team picking at 4 who might be trying to block others from taking him.

You could probably pull Atlanta's 2nd just to move down a spot if the interest is there.

Having #36, #39 and #50 in round #2, could potentially put Miami in position to really do some damage. Now imagine if they trade down from #18 as well and grab another 2nd rounder?

#36 - RB #39 - FS and #50 - Center?

Back
Top Bottom