Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

No one gets it right all the time, and Mel Kiper is pretty darned good. Between his opinion and yours..... 'nuff said.

That ESPN piece (on TV) really demonstrates Long's movement skills and quicks, it's well worth seeing for anyone interested in JLong.

Yeah, just like his "Cant Miss Lock" in last years draft...Phins taking Brady Quinn if he is still there at 9 :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Mel Kiper should get out into the sunlight a little more. I think the combination of lack of fresh air and Hair Gel has rotted his brain

biggest difference between Long and Gallery is that Gallery played alongside some very good guards at Iowa (including Eric Steinbach), Jake Long played next to Alex Mitchell and Victor Riley the last couple years.

I think Long can play LT cause I've seen him dominate at that position the last 2 years with little to no help.

With all due respect to these guys who do this on this site, but take away all the draft grading information they have now (magazines, websites, interviews, print media), and allow them to only watch film, and then have them grade players on their own and see how accurate they are.

I would bet these two things:

1. They would do a much better job at projecting pro talent, and what "value" they are as far as rounds, than I would.

2. They would miss on several players (seeing as many as 50% of first round picks are busts).

You can view skills, lifting numbers, running speeds until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean anything when they get out on the field. You can watch tape of them on the field, but will it translate? How will these guys handle the pressure, fame, money of it all? What kind of heart and work ethic is in these guys?

That's why this is such a hard thing to do, and projecting college players to the pros is not an exact science. One person shows evidence of when Kiper is wrong, to discredit him, but doesn't point out the bust rate of first round picks.

Bottom line: It's an inexact science, and I'm confident in Bill Parcells and his crew to do their homework, evaluate all possibilities, and do their best to make the best pick possible for the future of this franchise. After that, who knows what will happen.

Did anyone think that Billy Milner would blow that badly? There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. I'd like to get beyond and rise above the simplistic Gallery/Long comparisons. They're both big, tall, white boy LT's from midwestern colleges in the same conference. Is that it? Long will necessarily fail because Gallery failed at LT? Please.

I'm certainly not saying that Long will fail at LT. I'm not a scout and I've never watched a single snap of Long's, so I'm in no position at all to make that comment. All I am going by is the fact that I've heard mentions of the fact that he might be better suited at Right Tackle and then the comments coming out from Kiper that he is definitely going to be a Left Tackle and I thought of Gallery. If there's more comparisons than that, I have no clue.

Basically what I question is whether or not he's worth the #1 overall pick. If, and that's IF, he ends up being an average left tackle, I think it's a blown pick. If he gets moved to right tackle I think it's a blown pick. I do feel confident, though, that if we pick him #1 overall, then he must be something special.

we need to all call Long a LT, so that jim1 can get some sleep

Mel Kiper: "The Dolphins will take Brady Quinn."

Mel Kiper: "Oh wow, they didn't take Brady Quinn, the Dolphins just don't understand what the draft is about."

Mel Kiper: "The Dolphins took John Beck? Okay, they're not stupid after all, but I still wish they had taken Quinn just so I would look better."

We can safely disregard what Mel Kiper has to say. He merely ranks players where he believes they should go, and then slaps team names next to those players regardless of positional needs.

With all due respect to these guys who do this on this site, but take away all the draft grading information they have now (magazines, websites, interviews, print media), and allow them to only watch film, and then have them grade players on their own and see how accurate they are.

I would bet these two things:

1. They would do a much better job at projecting pro talent, and what "value" they are as far as rounds, than I would.

2. They would miss on several players (seeing as many as 50% of first round picks are busts).

You can view skills, lifting numbers, running speeds until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean anything when they get out on the field. You can watch tape of them on the field, but will it translate? How will these guys handle the pressure, fame, money of it all? What kind of heart and work ethic is in these guys?

That's why this is such a hard thing to do, and projecting college players to the pros is not an exact science. One person shows evidence of when Kiper is wrong, to discredit him, but doesn't point out the bust rate of first round picks.

Bottom line: It's an inexact science, and I'm confident in Bill Parcells and his crew to do their homework, evaluate all possibilities, and do their best to make the best pick possible for the future of this franchise. After that, who knows what will happen.

People love to hate on Kiper but he created something that some on this board would love to emulate. Like it or not he is basically the face of the NFL draft. I personally have not seen any guru where it be self professed or actually making a living doing it get it right all the time or even that great a percentage of the time. Over the years I have noticed them to not be any more accurate than a true amateur such as myself but I give Kiper his proper respect because he does have alot of insight. If people want to feel that some guys off our website are better thats fine but that may be more due to familiarity and the ability to actually talk to these guys rather than actual facts. Even the best miss alot.

Mel Kiper: "The Dolphins will take Brady Quinn."

Mel Kiper: "Oh wow, they didn't take Brady Quinn, the Dolphins just don't understand what the draft is about."

Mel Kiper: "The Dolphins took John Beck? Okay, they're not stupid after all, but I still wish they had taken Quinn just so I would look better."

We can safely disregard what Mel Kiper has to say. He merely ranks players where he believes they should go, and then slaps team names next to those players regardless of positional needs.

Its not like Kiper was the only guy that thought we were taking Quinn and Qb was our biggest need.

I dont like when people compare a prospect to another prospect (Gallery vs. Long) or when people assume a player will be bad because other players from the same college aren't good. Remember when people here said Larry Johnson was a bust because he went to Penn St? I've watched Long and wasn't as impressed as I was with other linemen.

they were talking aboot Flozell on NFL radio yesterday

they talked aboot the trend started by Freeney

this trend does not bode well for bigger less athletic tackles

I would prefer at 6'5" guy with great feet and long arms for his height than a 6'7" guy with worse athleticism and average arms

Everyone thought we were going Quinn all the way.., and we won't know for at least two years whether CAMRAM was right... I am not yet convinced...

Well Ram Cam were not right about much last year, so him making a bad decision is not a suprise

Back
Top Bottom