Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

I do remember a couple of years back that Kiper had Mike Williams (wr usc) as the #1 rated player in the draft. WTH?

LOL....Everyones too "RISKY" in this years draft for the #1 pick....

I think we need a Tackle for Beck,cause Vernon doesn't get it done on the left,people even say Vernon would be better off playing OG,and we graft another tackle for the right side,like Nick from Nebraska,or Williams for Vanderbilt.Even if Jake plays RT,which I doubt cause he was only beat once by the left side by Vernon Gholston this year,enough said,Tony Sparano and Mike Maser are two great O-Line coaches,they can get Jake converted to LT by the season opener.Jake Long is the proto-typical LT,and he play just as good on the left,as the right.If we don't get him,I really do think we're missing out on the next Orlando Pace for the next 10-15 years.

Beck???? What the Heck! Beck???

He has played less than outstanding but i did see M Roth late late first early second round choice prior to the draft... I thought we got a steal at the time... :unsure:

Understatement of the day. :wink:

Maybe I just don't remember those high draft grades or maybe his play has affected my opinion. :lol:

Whhhhaaaaatttttt???

Please please please show me where Matt Roth was ever even considered a 1st rounder, let alone Top 15. Roth is one of the most overrated players on the team and hasn't performed anywhere near the 3rd round potential he was drafted.

ummmmm.....Roth was drafted in the 2nd round,pick 13.....not the 3rd round,we,for some reason,drafted Channing Crowder

What??? Unbelievable. Matt Ryan should be the "only" player MIA should be thinking of drafting. QB is the game's most important position. Mike Mayock, the only draftnik that I trust, has Matt Ryan as the draft's "premier" PLAYER. Period. And after watching film of the guy, he is the next Peyton Manning. Why would any team with the #1 overall pick and a need at QB want to pass up on the next Peyton? beats the heck out of me. :unsure:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I don't give a flying rats *** what Kiper says, Jake Long is not the best player in the draft. It's Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey...end of discussion in my opinion.

Left tackle is a DEEP position in this draft. We can pass on Jake Long and still get a darn good tackle prospect at #32.

Mike Mayock said Matt Ryan is the best player in the draft.

I guess it depends on what stock u play. I dont look for draft analysis to see who we are going to pick, I want people to be able to evaluate players.

Also maybe I have a hazy memory I thought Boomer said that if we dont take Quinn dont be suprised if we take Ginn based on his visits but dont remember him saying we will take Ginn. I mean I could say that if we dont take Long then we will take Dorsey. I could care less about predicting the draft, I want to hear about the potential of guys taken.

I said, based on information gleaned from someone on this forum who really, truly did have an inside scoop until that person was sacked as part of the Parcells purge, that Quinn would be the pick. But I also wrote a long piece stating that if it wasn't Quinn then it would be Ginn based on what he brings to the table and the multiple (4) recorded visits between Miami and he.

The details of the visits were recorded at the time.

ummmmm.....Roth was drafted in the 2nd round,pick 13.....not the 3rd round,we,for some reason,drafted Channing Crowder

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted. Proves my point of his poor play even more. For all the crap Channing gets, he's been a much better value than Roth.

Meanwhile back at the point of this thread. Thanks to those who said nice things, but Mel Kiper does this 365 days a year. He's very, very knowledgeable about the thing he does for a living. As for Jake Long, I personally think he's better suited to being a RT because he's outstanding as a run blocker, when the play is in front of him, and because he's so strong, such a mauler. He can be a Jon Runyan, Jon Jansen type. What I do think is that despite a better year in 2007 in pass pro, I still think he struggles to get his feet out from under him at times, I think he's not quick enough to seal the edge and can look cumbersome as a pass blocker, mechanical and I think when consistently pressured by quick rush ends, he tends to get a little waisty and not uses his knees. He also doesn't have a particularly proficient kickslide, especially when put under consistent outside pressure.

If you're spending the first pick on him, you better make sure that you are 100% certain he's going to be a LT.

BUT.......if Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano think he can play on the left and God knows, they're a million times more qualified to make that judgement, then you have to think he's as likely as the other two.

LOL....Everyones too "RISKY" in this years draft for the #1 pick....

I think we need a Tackle for Beck,cause Vernon doesn't get it done on the left,people even say Vernon would be better off playing OG,and we graft another tackle for the right side,like Nick from Nebraska,or Williams for Vanderbilt.Even if Jake plays RT,which I doubt cause he was only beat once by the left side by Vernon Gholston this year,enough said,Tony Sparano and Mike Maser are two great O-Line coaches,they can get Jake converted to LT by the season opener.Jake Long is the proto-typical LT,and he play just as good on the left,as the right.If we don't get him,I really do think we're missing out on the next Orlando Pace for the next 10-15 years.

Not at all, Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long are in my opinion can't miss impact defenders, barring injury they will have successful careers in the NFL.

Jake Long is in my opinion a sure thing to have an NFL career, but it might not be at Left Tackle, which is the only thing that would make him worth the #1 overall.

So no, I don't agree with you.

Also, this draft is deep with Left Tackle Prospects, so there is no need to spend the #1 overall on a questionable left tackle prospect, not when we can do that with a later pick.

Also, this draft is deep with Left Tackle Prospects, so there is no need to spend the #1 overall on a questionable left tackle prospect, not when we can do that with a later pick.

Absolutely. Personally I think Miami would get outstanding, outstanding value with Anthony Collins at pick 32. He may well only be a junior, but he looks to me like he could start sooner rather than later and the upside is massive.

Meanwhile back at the point of this thread. Thanks to those who said nice things, but Mel Kiper does this 365 days a year. He's very, very knowledgeable about the thing he does for a living. As for Jake Long, I personally think he's better suited to being a RT because he's outstanding as a run blocker, when the play is in front of him, and because he's so strong, such a mauler. He can be a Jon Tunyan, Jon Jansen type. What I do think is that despite a better year in 2007 in pass pro, I still think he struggles to get his feet out from under him at times, I think he's not quick enough to seal the edge and can look cumbersome as a pass blocker, mechanical and I think when consistently pressured by quick rush ends, he tends to get a little waisty and not uses his knees. He also doesn't have a particularly proficient kickslide, especially when put under consistent outside pressure.

If you're spending the first pick on him, you better make sure that you are 100% certain he's going to be a LT.

BUT.......if Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano think he can play on the left and God knows, they're a million times more qualified to make that judgement, then you have to think he's as likely as the other two.

Your very humble, I think your analysis is spot on in regards to Long.

Kiper , in my opinion, tends to let his draft board blow with the wind, versus what is perhaps his true opinion on the subject, which is my only problem with his ability.

Absolutely. Personally I think Miami would get outstanding, outstanding value with Anthony Collins at pick 32. He may well only be a junior, but he looks to me like he could start sooner rather than later and the upside is massive.

I had seen somewhere that Collins stock was dropping (I know where but aint gonna say :up:)

I kindve like Gosder at the 32 if still there. Whats the comparison between the two?

BTW: Good to see you in a chipper mood this morning Boom :lol:

Back
Top Bottom