Merged 15x: Big Ben Hurt in motorcycle accident. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 15x: Big Ben Hurt in motorcycle accident.

Kinzua said:
Well, looking at the bright side, this might get the jackarses in the PA legislature who voted to allow riding motorcycles without helmets about two or three years ago to rethink their stupidity. I have little doubt that more support for this stupidity came from Steelers territory than Eagles country.

I've owned and ridden motorcycles for 45 years. I own and ride one NOW. A BIG loud one. I do not, and will not, wear a helmet. I have never crashed any of my bikes.

I am of the belief that ALL accidents can be prevented. Big Ben Screwed up! It falls squarely on his shoulders. Riding a motorcycle is, to say the least, a dangerous thing to do if you don't adopt a few hard and fast rules.

1) There is no such thing as a biker having the right of way. Everyone in an automobile is out to run you down. Of course that's not reality, but it is the safe frame of mind to adopt. Murpheys Law.

2) You better not ever take your mind off the business of operating the bike in a safe manner. Do not allow anything to distract you.

3) Plan for an escape route by allowing plenty of distance between yourself and all other vehicles including those approaching from the rear. Know where you are at all times!

4) Last but not least. keep your bike in optimum operating condition.

I have worked around danger all my life as an FPL Lineman and Power Plant Electrician. I've caught rattlesnakes and alligators, spent hours on the bottom of the St. Johns River in scuba gear in the blackest of blackwater in search of Indian Artifacts. There are rules that must be followed to stay alive. Know them and understand them, you will live.

It should be left up to the individual whether they want to wear protective gear when they ride motorcycles, not some legislator in the State House.

The closest I have ever come to considering wearing a helmet is today when my daughter called and told me the news of Big Ben, and pleaded with me to start wearing one. That touched me and I will give it serious consideration.

UltraDol-Fan said:
wow, I've lost some respect for Big Ben. He should know better...

???? He should know better to do what? He didn't do anything illegal (unless he caused the accident). Man, you guys need to get off your high horses. If he didn't have anything stipulated in his contract he didn't do anything wrong.

outtawack311 said:
On www.stillers.com they are actually talking about reports that say his knee injurys are just bad road rash and not structural damage. They are also reporting that he will be back before the end of training camp.
Stillers.com is wrong. According to John Clayton one of his knees are severely damaged. Severly damaged means more than road rash.
Steelers | Roethlisberger injury update
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:47:40 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/125">John Clayton, on ESPNews, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) is in surgery to fix a broken jaw. He also suffered a nine-inch laceration on his head, some missing teeth and knee damage. The team is not commenting on his accident yet.

Finz Fury said:
Whats the big deal about wearing helmets? You couldn't get me to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle. Is it just because they think they look cool without a helmet? Everytime I see somebody riding without one I automatically think to myself, what a moron?
Very sad news though. Hopefully there won't be any long-term affects.

I guess I'm a moron.

What's the big deal wearing a helmet all the time? The summer in Florida sucks, hence alot of people do not want to be uncomfortable wearing an oven over their head in traffic all day.

Firesole said:
???? He should know better to do what? He didn't do anything illegal (unless he caused the accident). Man, you guys need to get off your high horses. If he didn't have anything stipulated in his contract he didn't do anything wrong.

Regardless of if he did anything illegal or not, its called using common sense. Unless you want to get killed riding a motorcycle, you wear a helmet, if you want to make it safely home driving, then wear a seatbelt, pay attention to everything around you. It isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

Dolphins 1st opponent QB hurt

Messed up pretty bad to from this story...
The extent of his injuries was not known, although the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that police said Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher. It was not known whether Roethlisberger was wearing a helmet when he crashed.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9493900

Our first game...will Pittsburgh have Big Ben?

I just read on CBS Sportsline that Big Ben was involved in a motorcycle accident, lost most of his teeth, broke his jaw and injured both knees.:(

I hope the guy is ok. They said he is serious, but stable.

Any else heard this?

themole said:
I've owned and ridden motorcycles for 45 years. I own and ride one NOW. A BIG loud one. I do not, and will not, wear a helmet. I have never crashed any of my bikes.

I am of the belief that ALL accidents can be prevented. Big Ben Screwed up! It falls squarely on his shoulders. Riding a motorcycle is, to say the least, a dangerous thing to do if you don't adopt a few hard and fast rules.

1) There is no such thing as a biker having the right of way. Everyone in an automobile is out to run you down. Of course that's not reality, but it is the safe frame of mind to adopt. Murpheys Law.

2) You better not ever take your mind off the business of operating the bike in a safe manner. Do not allow anything to distract you.

3) Plan for an escape route by allowing plenty of distance between yourself and all other vehicles including those approaching from the rear. Know where you are at all times!

4) Last but not least. keep your bike in optimum operating condition.

I have worked around danger all my life as an FPL Lineman and Power Plant Electrician. I've caught rattlesnakes and alligators, spent hours on the bottom of the St. Johns River in scuba gear in the blackest of blackwater in search of Indian Artifacts. There are rules that must be followed to stay alive. Know them and understand them, you will live.

It should be left up to the individual whether they want to wear protective gear when they ride motorcycles, not some legislator in the State House.

The closest I have ever come to considering wearing a helmet is today when my daughter called and told me the news of Big Ben, and pleaded with me to start wearing one. That touched me and I will give it serious consideration.

:clap: :clap: :clap: As a biker and owner of a big, loud bike myself, let me say thank you for posting the logic above for those that know nothing about riding.

Lets just hope our Dolphins players have all taken the MSF course.

themole said:
It's a hollow victory if our number 1s don't compete and beat their number 1s!

A week 1 win against pitt no matter what the circumstance is a win. Injuries are a part of the NFL and if we were playing the bungles week 1 we'd be hoping Palmer wouldn't be ready. Who knows our qb is still hurt and he may not even play and our backup might start.

themole said:
I've owned and ridden motorcycles for 45 years...I have never crashed any of my bikes....I am of the belief that ALL accidents can be prevented....

:shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom