Merged 3X:Dolphins got hosed by refs / officiating/Dolphins hurt by 7 calls | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:Dolphins got hosed by refs / officiating/Dolphins hurt by 7 calls

I just read it and that really sucks...

I know this is crazy but they should make some penalties reviewable. That run alone would have been a game breaker.
Although you can't cry over spilled milk, this is absolutley unacceptable by the officiating crew. Well I hope they turn the other cheek on our behalf this Sunday. :D

I do know this, Miami had plenty of oppurtunities to make plays and blew it so it's no all the ref's fault. However, that holding call on McMichael really hurts.

All in all this article is like pouring alcohol on a fresh wound. It stings knowing this information in hindsight, but it does give me some relief and satisfaction to know it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Here's to hoping that the officiating crew is extra careful and accurate on our behalf....from here on out.

Re: Officiating

The NFL has acknowledged seven blown calls after reviewing film of the game, according to documents obtained Thursday by an NFL source. Among them was a holding penalty on Dolphins tight end Randy McMichael that nullified a 48-yard Ricky Williams run in the third quarter.

Another significant erroneous call occurred in the fourth quarter when right guard Todd Perry was whistled for a false start with the Dolphins trying to protect a 20-18 lead. Facing second-and-12, the Dolphins decided to pass. Quarterback Jay Fiedler was intercepted by cornerback Marcus Coleman, helping to put Houston in position for Kris Brown's winning field goal.
OMG - heads should roll for this

that is absolutely horrible :fire:

On one hand, that decision shouldn't have been a concern, because Miami could have dominated the game anyway. However, as close as it was, this may have been the game deciding decision.

I still get annoyed at this "that is not reviewable" cr*p. It happened in the Moday night game where the Tampa Bay reciever (Jeruvicious?) fumbled, but the play could not be reviewed. Whistle schmistle, until the next snap, anything and everything should be up for review.

With all this money the NFL is making out of the fans (radio broadcasts now) you would think that they could hire some intelligent staff.

Not only does this hurt as a fan...I also shudder when I think about the players reading this. I can just see some of the guys using this as another excuse for not getting their act together. Rather than saying "we failed", I can honestly see some of them blaming the loss on the refs and repeating their half-a$$ed efforts again on Sunday.

I have recently started questioning Wanny for not being able to instill enough discipline in his players, but with this comming out I can no longer blame this loss on Coaching... Our team did everything they needed to win...

Not only that, there is a pattern going on here... What about the Pass Interference Call against Fletcher in New England... IMO that one call cost us the game....

Sure the Phins need to be tougher and be able to overcome adversity, but should we be hammering them and Wanny so hard when they are basically being "Oppressed" by the officials? The Dolphins do what they are supposed, execute the play correctly and then the officials steps in a nullifies it...

Man I'm pissed about this... It doesn't vindicate Wanny 100% in my eyes but it does paint a different picture of the overall situation especially the last game... Its not as bad as it looked, in a way this is good news.

Call it homerism or whatever, but its right there from the NFL officating people, we won that game. The officials stole it from us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of thing happens. Certain players on certain teams get a reputation for comitting certain penalties and whenever there is a situation where the ref didn't see things 100% clear, he just assumes the guy comitted a penalty. You see it with Ruddy for false starts, McMichael for holding, Fletcher for pass interference.
The Raiders have this problem as well.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Not only does this hurt as a fan...I also shudder when I think about the players reading this. I can just see some of the guys using this as another excuse for not getting their act together. Rather than saying "we failed", I can honestly see some of them blaming the loss on the refs and repeating their half-a$$ed efforts again on Sunday.

I think this shows that the effort wasn't as half-assed as we think....

Yes the officials have blown bigger games and yes this still sucks. The only thing that really upsets me is that the refs never seem to be held accountable. In such a big $ market as the NFL... there should be something done about this. Whether it is allowing the calls to be reviewed during game(which would probably slow down the game too much) or have a promotion/demotion system. Sort of like Minor league baseball. If the refs make too many bad calls they go down to College, and the good refs in college come up... etc... That would keep all refs at least working on keeping their skills up!?

No clump, there probably were calls missed against the Texans too. However there really was not many calls that really changed momentum in the game. The "holding" call really did change things. Granted, that is not an excuse and I don't want to to seem like I am blaming the loss on the refs. I hate seeing refs changing the whole makeup of a game on a bad call. Especially without any consequences for their actions.

The best way to keep the refs from winning or losing a game for a team is not to keep the game close. Just like Dan said on HBO, the fins get conservative on O at the second half and try to protect the lead instead of playing all 4 quarters.

Don't know if this is Wanny's fault or Norv's. Being that this has happened even before Norv came in , I'd say it's mostly Wanny's call.

Originally posted by 13isgr81

I think this shows that the effort wasn't as half-assed as we think....

See, THAT is what I'm afraid off...that EXACT attitude. This game SHOULD have been a blowout. Players SHOULD have been a blowout. The refs may have decided the game, but only because our players were only giving 75%. If the Phins came out fired up this game would have been a walk. But if the players see this and say "see, it wasn't our fault", it gives them an out. If we lost a close one to the Titans or Bills because of the refs, that's one thing...but this was OUR fault, and I hate seeing the league giving the players an excuse to repeat that half a$$ed effort. Sunday we had about 20 Randy Moss'(I'll play when I want to play) on the field, and they need to turn it around.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Can't imagine that all the blown calls were solely against the Fins.

Actually, they also found that some non-calls were made in favor of the Texans. It was pretty lopsided, which doesn't excuse the horrible play of the Phins players.

Back
Top Bottom