Merged 3X:Dolphins got hosed by refs / officiating/Dolphins hurt by 7 calls | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:Dolphins got hosed by refs / officiating/Dolphins hurt by 7 calls

IMO the source of the frustration with the officiating for Miami fans is that human error always seems to go against Miami. Over the past 3 years I can remember 1 bad call that resulted in a big play in Miami's favor ( ag. San Diego). Miami was already blowing out the Chargers in that game, so while it was a bad call the outcome wasn't affected. During that time there have been 5 or 6 bad calls that lead to big plays ag. Miami every season. Probability says that eventually things will even out. Miami has been on the short end for years. I'm waiting for Miami to have some luck. Human error is much easier to accept if it at least occasionally goes in your favor.

Originally posted by mezzavo
The way I see it, the Texans shouldn't have been close enough for those penalties to matter. End of story.

The way I see it, the game would have been 21-6 when Ricky ran 48 yrds for a TD that was called back when no foul was made on the play. You dont see that the bad calls prevented the ability of the game from being a blowout? There were also 4 non calls on the Texans, it's hard to win when you spot any team in the NFL 7 calls in key situations.

NFL: "Oops. Sorry, Dudes"

Found the piece below while looking over a Cowboys board (don't ask). Did a quick scan to see if it had been posted here, but didn't see it, so apologies if it's a repeat.

Redskins fans have seen this kind of "Oops. Sorry, Dude" thing from the league several times over the last few years, and frankly they piss me off even more than the calls themselves. Like it HELPS, right? Lord.

Anyway, at the risk of reopening old wounds if this has already been hashed over here, or creating new ones if it hasn't ...

NFL admits refs goofed
Dolphins hurt on seven plays
BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@herald.com

The NFL informed the Dolphins this week the officiating crew blew seven plays that worked against Miami in its loss Sunday to Houston, an NFL source said Friday. But the Dolphins were hardly consoled.

Although the NFL had no comment publicly, the league privately acknowledged there were three penalties against Miami that should not have been called, and four violations against Houston that were not penalized.

One of the acknowledged incorrect penalties against Miami was particularly damaging. Randy McMichael's third-quarter holding penalty negated a 48-yard run by Ricky Williams to the Houston 2-yard line. The Dolphins led 14-6 at the time, and that drive ended with a punt.

''I'm so mad about it,'' McMichael said Friday. ''Are they going to give us a win now? . . . Referees are going to make bad calls and good calls. They're not perfect. You have to respect them.''

The other penalties that should not have been called were a holding penalty against Jamie Nails that Houston declined, and a false start against Todd Perry in the fourth quarter that forced Miami into a second-and-12 and preceded Marcus Coleman's interception of a Jay Fiedler pass.

On the Perry penalty, Dolphins offensive line coach Tony Wise said, ''We knew the Perry one the minute it was called. I don't need film to show me. Perry told me he didn't move.''

The four infractions committed by Houston that were not penalized were illegal contact by Coleman on the next-to-last play of the game; illegal hands to the face by Kailee Wong in the second quarter; and two false starts in the first quarter.

''It's disappointing when you have [the NFL] admitting afterward [the calls] were wrong,'' Dolphins fullback Rob Konrad said. ''Hopefully, they will get that rectified.''

Wannstedt declined to comment. ''That game is gone,'' he said.

Wise also said he had no reaction to the NFL's acknowledgement.

The officiating crew, led by Terry McAulay, is subject to review.

A similar performance could keep them from being assigned playoff games.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to get over it guys. It was 6 days ago. I mean, WE'RE PLAYING THE FREAKING JETS TOMORROW!! Our hated rivals, the Jets. This stuff is old news.

Everything will play out in the end. No need to look back. Towards the playoffs, most refs officiating games deserve to be there if they are graded properly. The others? Well...just like all of teams that won't make the playoffs.

You know, I feel like this is disgraceful to blame this game on the refs. I don't care how many calls they blew. We got outplayed and we deserved to lose and in the end we got what we deserved. The ref's could have blown 100 calls and I wouldn't care unless we deserved to win but it's obvious that Houston was a better football team than us on Sunday and we deserve to be 0-1. To blame our ****ty *** performance on the refs is just disgraceful. You don't blame a crappy performance on anybody but ourselves. Face it, we frickin sucked on Sunday and Houston did not.

Back
Top Bottom