Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.

That seems like an exageration. Those old Giant LB's all had pretty long careers, the O-linemen have as well.

Curtis Martin had a pretty long career too...

That seems like an exageration. Those old Giant LB's all had pretty long careers, the O-linemen have as well.

Curtis Martin had a pretty long career too...

Bingo

Awww, players are scared of coming to teams where they'll have to work out even in the offseason? I'm sad and crying silver tears just for their plights.

I for one know you need squats and cleans to be the very best at what you do! These same people that are scared to get bigger are the same that don't put up numbers on Sunday! Chris long got big strong and explosive by doing what? The same thing parcels has his players doing! This is lidscris because if you look at the history of parcels and his disciples, their players play hard and strong for long periods of time! Terry gleen, Michael strahan, Curtis Martin, bruschi, vrabal, coats, Taylor.. I mean a few people do come to mind though.. Fred Taylor, keyshawn, and Corey dillion. Yet those players were extremely big, physical type players.. Fred is still playing but you know what I mean.. Cnnsi is garbage!

ya he really shortened tony romo's career...lol. who writes this garbage?

LoL...my thoughts excatly....word of advice, always take Sports Illustrated with a grain of salt.....I'm sure if this were true, no veteran would want to sign with Parcells. Did he shorten Bryan Cox career as well? :lol:

Hmm, I wonder if this guy considered STEROIDS can also lead to the destruction on muscles and joints. You know quite a few of those guys on Tuna's Giants team were juiced.

Reminds of when JJ was coaching here and everyone said we failed at the end of the season because his practices and training camps were too gureling.

Hmm, I wonder if this guy considered STEROIDS can also lead to the destruction on muscles and joints. You know quite a few of those guys on Tuna's Giants team were juiced.

Reminds of when JJ was coaching here and everyone said we failed at the end of the season because his practices and training camps were too gureling.

Cam listened to bad advice and had a cakewalk of a camp last year - and we went 1-15. Nothing more needs to be said about the importance and effectiveness of offseason training.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.
.....garbage!!!!!!

Completley false. If done properly, proper lifting and explosion workouts not only prevent injuries but extend your career. If explosion exercises such as squats, power cleans, launchers, etc are done imporperly, then yes they could have damaging affects to an athlete.

Thanks for the artilce though Sofa. :up:

I totally agree with the first part about steroids. That stuff will bring an athlete to shambles and too many times people don't accouint for that fact.

About JJ. Recovery and training smart is just as important as training hard. JJ did indeed run his players into the ground his last year in Miami. At the end of the season it's more about staying fresh and maintaining that physical & mental sharpness that was gained through all of those two a days in training camp. JJ screwed that one up, but so have a 1,000 other coaches.

What!?! LT may have been juiced on Cocaine, but that's about it

Funny you should mention that, through my job I have talked to several people in the NYG organization. 2 of which said adamantly that they never heard of LT using the juice, and another who said he knew for a fact that he did.

Thats why I didnt mention him specifically, but yeah. ALOT of guys on those teams were on it.

Back
Top Bottom