Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI

For a minute there, I thought Don Banks was at it again. Anyways, that's total BS. If you do the exercises properly, you have nothing to worry about.

I totally agree with the first part about steroids. That stuff will bring an athlete to shambles and too many times people don't accouint for that fact.

About JJ. Recovery and training smart is just as important as training hard. JJ did indeed run his players into the ground his last year in Miami. At the end of the season it's more about staying fresh and maintaining that physical & mental sharpness that was gained through all of those two a days in training camp. JJ screwed that one up, but so have a 1,000 other coaches.

Good points my man. I mentioned the JJ thing because I thought it was a cop-out by the players at the time for using the tough workouts as an excuse. Maybe its true he ran them into the ground, I just didn't wanna hear them say it.

Don't forget the fact that Parcells isn't a coach for the Miami Dolphins. I"m sure we won't see him out on the practice field with a whistle.
He said it himself, he won't be a coach because "that's a young man's game".

So if anything, lets look at who our coach is....not how Parcells coached in the past.

Good points my man. I mentioned the JJ thing because I thought it was a cop-out by the players at the time for using the tough workouts as an excuse. Maybe its true he ran them into the ground, I just didn't wanna hear them say it.

Yea you never want to hear your players complain about working too hard. That's usually a sign of lazyness.

After reading the article, it's a bad peice of research and knowledge by the writer. He mentions some coaches have a philosophy of nutrition and stretching more than heavy lifting. The fact is they go hand in hand. Doing heavy lifting and explosion workouts will only be benificial IF you follow that up with proper nutrition, rest, streching and technique.

So the athletes this guy talked to probably don't have a whole lot of knowledge about utilizing both philosophies.

Since when does a head coach set a players work out regimen? Isn't that what they hire strength & conditioning coaches to do?

Just look at Parcells, are we really to believe that he has ever even been in the weight room?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.

while it may be an exaggeration, i believe larry allen had problems with parcells workouts for this reason. allen refused tunas workouts and continued his own.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.

Here a new thought, perhaps actualy playing time in REAL games shortens careers, not practices. Now theres a thought... These writers are ****

to be fair to the writers, they didnt just make this up, it has been reported before.

Since when does a head coach set a players work out regimen? Isn't that what they hire strength & conditioning coaches to do?

Just look at Parcells, are we really to believe that he has ever even been in the weight room?
And who tells the strength and conditioning coach what to do?

It is always funny when you get the writers such as the SI individual that writes things about efforts that they never were capable of. If you look at what helps people maintain strength, add flexiability and maintain a healthier body for longterm life activities, it is exactly what Parcells has his players I, I mean Soprano will be doing. Theses WRITERS are normally ones a bit overweight, sit on the couch and coach teams on Sunday from there easy chair. So I'm guessing we should take this with a grain of salt written from the armchair Quarterbacks :lol::hi5:

The explosive exercises are just once piece of the puzzle with proper nutrition more important than most have realized in the past....daily supplementation of Fish Oil, glucosamine, etc.
Kevin Carter mentioned how much yoga helped him as a veteran, noting that the game slowed down for him even more, feeling much better than he did when he was younger in the league.

SI is still in my book the worst place to get any info that can be considered of actual value, and this article pretty much confirms that for me. Any player who doesn't like Parcells strength & conditioning program is exactly the kind of player we don't want on this team. Let them go play for Cam and they can enjoy Camp-Med and a 1-15 season.

Usually I like the stuff on SI, except for Peter King who is such a sad joke...

Banks gets static but I think he was one of the very few guys with the cajones to pick the Giants over the Pats...

And who tells the strength and conditioning coach what to do?

You hire strength & conditioning coaches to design the workout routines for the players. That is their area of expertise. A head coach doesn't tell them what exercises the players should be doing anymore than they tell the trainers how to treat an injury.

Back
Top Bottom