Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI

I understand what your saying.. let me ask you this when is the team going to be Tony S? Tucker stated it was Bill that made the team do all those things. I have a lot of respect for Bill and i'm very glad he is with the phins. but maybe just maybe Tony S has other ideas about off season methods and conditioning. I know it's very important to have the players in shape and ready to go. but sooner or later are head coach has to put his stamp on the team

I'm sure Sporano will offer his input and use his personal experience to find some sort of balance. I hope they account for the Miami heat. You don't want anyone dying of heat exhaustion. I think Parcells role is to over see Dolphins football operations. That's what I think it is anyway and that should include how the organisation operates, how, when and where the team conditions etc. He also, in his only press conference, said that he will decrease the pile and piles of medical reports to a fraction. It was supposed to be one of his biggest influences on this team.

Ross Tucker played for 7 years! 5 different teams! Im not going to take much interest in someone who couldnt see the long term gains/ strains. if you do nothing but hang cleans and squats all year long then sure you will have strain. Like Kevin Carter and Ricky Williams yoga helped after they built a foundation. You build with hang cleans and squats, and stretching and free motions items are going to be helpful for the veteran that cant take the stress to their joints. the peek age is around 25-31, after that i wouldnt recommend hang cleans and squats. Like I said earlier, Ricky Williams looked pretty good after he started yoga. In a Kevin Carter sense the game slowed down to him. He wasnt just running over people, he looked elusive enough to just excellerate when needed. So, after fully thinking over this article, I believe there isnt enough information to make this story very informative.

Cam listened to bad advice and had a cakewalk of a camp last year - and we went 1-15. Nothing more needs to be said about the importance and effectiveness of offseason training.

Funny you mention that. Mangini hails from the Parcells tree and in his first season he had a rigorous TC that was so tough some players complained. That lead to a 10-6 record. The following season he went easier, not to say that it was a cakewalk but all reports were that it wasn't quite as intense as the prior. The result? 4-12.

There were obviously way more reasons for the resulting record then just the TC workout, but it seemed relevant in light of the coaching connection.

I posted this once before. The writer - Ross Tucker played OG in the NFL for several years. He was a Pro Bowler and an All Pro. So he knows something about it.

YEah, he was probably disgruntled and pissed off about having to go through a rigorous training camp, which conditioned him to be able to attend all those pro bowls... So in that sence, is he a hypocryte?

EDIT: I just looked up Ross Tucker and I cant find anything that said he went to pro bowls. Do you have a link?

It says he actually was undrafted and only played 24 of 43 games in 7 years... Must be a no talent *** clown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Tucker

I did see this though; "As of March 9th, 2007 Tucker re-signed with the Redskins, but was placed on injured reserve after suffering a neck injury to comply with the mandatory roster limit".

Looks like he IS disgrunteld and pissed off since he doesnt play due to injury. :up:

Ross Tucker played for 7 years! 5 different teams! Im not going to take much interest in someone who couldnt see the long term gains/ strains. if you do nothing but hang cleans and squats all year long then sure you will have strain. Like Kevin Carter and Ricky Williams yoga helped after they built a foundation. You build with hang cleans and squats, and stretching and free motions items are going to be helpful for the veteran that cant take the stress to their joints. the peek age is around 25-31, after that i wouldnt recommend hang cleans and squats. Like I said earlier, Ricky Williams looked pretty good after he started yoga. In a Kevin Carter sense the game slowed down to him. He wasnt just running over people, he looked elusive enough to just excellerate when needed. So, after fully thinking over this article, I believe there isnt enough information to make this story very informative.
Nice post.... I hope at the professional level, each player's off-season program is made personal for each player and periodically evaluated with that specific player along with the strength coaches. Flexibility without strength is useless and strength without flexibility is useless.

Ex-Cowboy discusses Parcells’ off-season methods

Ross Tucker has been an offensive lineman for seven NFL seasons and holds a degree from Princeton.

A regular contributor to SI.com’s NFL coverage, Tucker would seem to have the credentials to offer some pretty intelligible opinions.

In an article published Wednesday on SI.com, Tucker offered a mixed review of Bill Parcells’ off-season program.

PalmBeachPost

I posted this in another thread too about this character. Sounds like hes just disgruntled because he sucked in the NFL to me.

YEah, he was probably disgruntled and pissed off about having to go through a rigorous training camp...

It says he actually was undrafted and only played 24 of 43 games in 7 years... Must be a no talent *** clown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Tucker

"As of March 9th, 2007 Tucker re-signed with the Redskins, but was placed on injured reserve after suffering a neck injury to comply with the mandatory roster limit".

Looks like he IS just disgrunteled and pissed off since he doesnt play due to injury. :up:

He shouldl stop his crying big *****

ya he really shortened tony romo's career...lol. who writes this garbage?

I agree. complete bs. just cause you are a former player and you are lazy, or not tough or disciplined enough to actually perform excises that will make you a better football player - don't write that ****. Seriously, anybody that is a big enough idiot to think they can just play the game without putting in the work - why would we or parcells want them anyways???? Please don't sign with us. I mean come on squats and cleans??? I know they can be tough, and we don't want to do them - but those exercises are fundamental to overall strength, power and size. we can let tucker (or whoever the idiot that wrote the article) keep benching cause thats all he likes to do and it isnt hard... its not going to make him a better athlete...idiot......probably the reason he only lasted what a year in dallas?

To be honest with you, this article is a complete sack of bs. A lack of team conditioning brought our record to a miserable 1-15. How can you expect to endure 4 quarters of a game, if your players can't endure a workout to counter the effects of a game.

Scenario, teams who run a hurry offense can sometimes expose the lack of endurance from the defense. A defense who is trained physically to endure such hardships will cause the opposing offense to crumble. Not always a fact but I feel that is how great training applies to a situation on the field. That is why some teams run out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Make these guys lift whatever reps the organization says. This is a 1-15 team with terrible everything. They need to work. This is pro football not hopscotch. The fans pay their salaries. They work for us. They need to earn their pay. And if any loser doesn't want to work, then get the heck out of Miami. We do not want you at all.

I applaud Parcells.

As for the shortening career argument, that is a journeyman player's opinion and not based on any fact. Parcells is not trying to shorten careers because it does not serve his interest to do so. He wants assets for the franchise.

Funny you mention that. Mangini hails from the Parcells tree and in his first season he had a rigorous TC that was so tough some players complained. That lead to a 10-6 record. The following season he went easier, not to say that it was a cakewalk but all reports were that it wasn't quite as intense as the prior. The result? 4-12.

There were obviously way more reasons for the resulting record then just the TC workout, but it seemed relevant in light of the coaching connection.

I'm not sure if it was as visible with the Jets as it was with the Dolphins, but it was apparent that the team wasn't in football shape. We got ground down in an extremely winnable game against the Skins, and the rest of the season was downhill from there. Next time a coach wants to run a loose camp, I say fire the guy.

I posted this once before. The writer - Ross Tucker played OG in the NFL for several years. He was a Pro Bowler and an All Pro. So he knows something about it.

Ross Tucker was not a Pro Bowler or an All Pro.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TuckRo20.htm

He played seven seasons and only played in 43 games, starting 24
The only full season he played was in 2004 in Buffalo when he played in 16 games and only started 12.

He was signed as a free agent by Wasington out of college (Princeton)

2001 22 years old Washington played in 3 games, started none
2002 23 years old Washington played in 3 games starting none
2002 23 years old Dallas played in 7 starting 7
2003 24 years old Buffalo played in 12 games starting 5
2004 25 years old Buffalo played in 16 games starting 12
2005 26 years old New England played in 1 game starting none
2006 27 years old Cleveland released before season started
2007 28 years old Washington released by Washington before season started

Hardly an All Pro or Pro Bowl career. :)

Back
Top Bottom