Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X:"Parcells and disciples shorten careers" per SI

We have Ricky and his hoilistic healing to counteract any effects our workouts may have on our guys.

It is always funny when you get the writers such as the SI individual that writes things about efforts that they never were capable of. If you look at what helps people maintain strength, add flexiability and maintain a healthier body for longterm life activities, it is exactly what Parcells has his players I, I mean Soprano will be doing. Theses WRITERS are normally ones a bit overweight, sit on the couch and coach teams on Sunday from there easy chair. So I'm guessing we should take this with a grain of salt written from the armchair Quarterbacks :lol::hi5:
Except this particular writer was capable. Ross Tucker was an OG in the NFL. He was a Pro Bowler as well as All Pro. He retired in '05. So whether you agree or disagree with his opinion, it's still an opinion from someone who has first hand knowledge.

Weight lifting, when dne roperly, is supposed to extend careers. I don't think Parcells would hire weight trainers who allow the players to lift improperly. Most of these guys are multi million dollar investments and why would he have them training improperly? I think this article is pointless.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.

Since when is Parcells our coach?

Weightlifting done properly wont hurt you? True and false, but more true.

Years back I weighed 105lbs at 5'6" tall, then I hit the gym hard for 2 years. I bulked up to 199lbs in 9 months and had muscles galore and was in awesome shape ( without roids, yet friends and family still dont believe that ).

Yet in the last year and 3 months my gains have been minimal and I have even cut back on some of the weight I lift because my joints were starting to hurt badly. Even though at 199 pounds I was strong as ever I deliberately dropped 20 pounds and lessened what I would lift.

So what would you want in a football player? 20 pounds lighter and in good shape or 20 pounds heavier in great shape yet bordering on injuries.

A persons body type is very important to the weight/muscle a body/frame can handle. I would assume there are some trainers if not most that want to get the max out of atheletes regardless of injury, as I am sure there are trainers that take care of the players properly.

So even doing proper training and lifting correctly can still get you injured.

Dont get me started on roid freaks, those guys get injured more often.

Tucker, 28, said Parcells is big on squats and hang cleans, two grueling exercises designed to increase power and explosion. Those exercises also can take their toll on a player’s knees and backs, and ultimately shorten his career, Tucker said.

I know everyone has families to feed, but I want players who will do what it takes to win Super Bowls, not to be looking to extend their careers.

And I am not criticizing players who might go with that approach, I just don't want them on my team.

Good read. I have 2 issues.

1) squats and hand cleans are fine...as long as it does not cause injury or damage which could later on lead to injury on the field.
I think there is a fine line between a grueling off-season and preservation so finding that balance is so crucial. You can only hope and trust that the experience of our coaches will know that balance. I wouldn't want anything to happen to our players.

2) a harsh off-season like doing that 300 yard conditioning test may work in cooler climates like in NY and Dallas but in the South Florida heat? I really feel sorry for our players. Dolphin players throughout history could barely handle 2 a days in the scorching heat.

Good read. I have 2 issues.

1) squats and hand cleans are fine...as long as it does not cause injury or damage which could later on lead to injury on the field.
I think there is a fine line between a grueling off-season and preservation so finding that balance is so crucial. You can only hope and trust that the experience of our coaches will know that balance. I wouldn't want anything to happen to our players.

2) a harsh off-season like doing that 300 yard conditioning test may work in cooler climates like in NY and Dallas but in the South Florida heat? I really feel sorry for our players. Dolphin players throughout history could barely handle 2 a days in the scorching heat.

I understand what your saying.. let me ask you this when is the team going to be Tony S? Tucker stated it was Bill that made the team do all those things. I have a lot of respect for Bill and i'm very glad he is with the phins. but maybe just maybe Tony S has other ideas about off season methods and conditioning. I know it's very important to have the players in shape and ready to go. but sooner or later are head coach has to put his stamp on the team

Ricky already has aroma therapy candles set up all over the training facility and locker room. We are taken care off.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/03/18/offseason.programs/1.html

"Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm."

Better load up on all the draft picks we can if these guys are disposable.

What a load of crap. Does this SI writer offer any scientific proof or medical statistics/evidence proving his theory? NO, of course not. Just another quack writer spouting off about things he doesn't know anything about. :rolleyes2:

first off these guys are NFL players, this is what they do for a couple million a year, second guys get injured when they are not in good condition, see our offseason last year and the small nation we had on IR

What a load of crap. Does this SI writer offer any scientific proof or medical statistics/evidence proving his theory? NO, of course not. Just another quack writer spouting off about things he doesn't know anything about. :rolleyes2:

I posted this once before. The writer - Ross Tucker played OG in the NFL for several years. He was a Pro Bowler and an All Pro. So he knows something about it.

Ricky already has aroma therapy candles set up all over the training facility and locker room. We are taken care off.

Your humor is seemingly going unnoticed.....images of Aromatherapy candles burning, players in herbal soaks and maybe even someone chanting are pretty funny to think about, though.

Back
Top Bottom