Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread

Guys, don't forget that we are running the VIKINGS old offense here. That's part of the reason why Gus came in and did a decent job. Hell, we were 6-0 at the end of the season and finished strong. something Miami hasn't done in a long time.

We have Chris Chambers who is a "MOSS" clone.
We have Ronnie Brown (who knows about Ricky) for the ground game.
We're in the process of fixing our offensive line.
Were about 1 more play-making WR and one OL away from an ALLSTAR OFFENSE.
Yes, we gave up our Second round pick, but we got a player who when healthy can eliminate our QB problem. Its about time that we got a halfway decent QB in here. C'mon, Fielder, Feeley, Gus, Sage, Griese we haven't had any with much talent here, with the exception of maybe GUS and the heart of Fiedler.

I say keep GUS as the backup.

LtDan said:
We could sign 1984 vintage Marino and some people would not be happy! Jesus!

:rolleyes2

Yeah, Ok.....

This comment along with the "haters" comment is so typical around here. People are giving their legitimate reasons having reservations about this move. They are legit points.

1984 vintage Marino signing.... yeah, that's a totaly relevant comparison. Come on man.

lol @ u haters..CULPEPPER IS OURS!!!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't be happier.....

Trekbiz said:
It's the fact that not only was Culpepper our second choice, not only that he is clearly the higher health risk but also your giving up a 2nd round pick for that 2nd choice prospect with a greater injury concern.

Choosing a saving of 2 million in pay over getting your first option which is a lesser risk and keeping your draft pick just dosen't seem like a good decision to me. I'm an ardent supporter of Saban as well, but still I just can't bring myself to like this move at all.

Please, please tell me how a QB's Knee is a "higher health risk" than a Qb's THROWING SHOULDER. Daunte's knee is messed up I understand how severe it is but Greedy Brees had also a severe inury to his throwing shoulder. Look at Marino's cannon and lack of mobility. No I'm not comparing Culpepper to Marino I just want to know how anyone thinks a knee is more devestating to a Quarterback then his bread and butter, his freaking arm?
This is just my opinion and I'm just asking for and explanation.

NatCyn said:
I think that Culpepper will be fine. I never thought that Minnesota had a healthy offense. They threw a ton and I never thought they put enough of a focus on running the ball. Saban's staff is lightyears ahead of what Culpepper had in Minnesota and Culpepper will be in a much more concrete system where he'll have to learn to manage a game and make the intermediate and short throws. I think Culpepper could flourish in Miami.

Interesting :rolleyes2 cuz Scott Linehan was Daunte's OC at Minnesota for 3 or 4 years.

Who ever said Daunte's injury was clearly worse than Brees' injury? I was always advised the consensus was that it was more difficult to come back from a shoulder injury than a knee injury. In recent history, there are countless players who have come back from ripped knees but few have come back from wrecked shoulders...Pennington and Boselli certainly come to mind.

As for Brees, bear in mind he had a torn labrum and a partially torn rotator cuff. A likely tall order for an already average-armed QB.

The_Phish said:
Please, please tell me how a QB's Knee is a "higher health risk" than a Qb's THROWING SHOULDER. Daunte's knee is messed up I understand how severe it is but Greedy Brees had also a severe inury to his throwing shoulder. Look at Marino's cannon and lack of mobility. No I'm not comparing Culpepper to Marino I just want to know how anyone thinks a knee is more devestating to a Quarterback then his bread and butter, his freaking arm?
This is just my opinion and I'm just asking for and explanation.

Maybe you should ask the Phins since Brees was clearly their 1st choice. For some strange reason, they were much more comfortable with Drew's shoulder than Daunte's knee.

cry me a river...Pepper is one of the top QB's in the league. I simply cannot believe you would lose faith in saban over this. just...wow go be a bills fan or something.

PhinsPhan said:
put it in your sig. 2 turnovers a game and has never shown to be successful at winning big games and without moss.

1. He had a BETTER rating without Moss much of 2004. That is just bunk.

2. He does NOT have 2 turnovers a game, that is also bunk. Someone on here started quoting him as having 81 fumbles... he didn't. He lost 33 fumbles. Big difference. The others aren't "turnovers".

So it's more like 1.4 per game... and that includes one horrible season in 2002 with carrer high ints and fumbles... he isn't nearly that bad in what would be considered his average year.

3. Who cares if he has 1.4 turnovers a game if he's also throwing tds like crazy, completing 65 freaking % of his passes and having a 7.7 YPA?

Go Daunte.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!

What the hell did you expect? This was the BEST QB AVAILABLE in terms of talent, bar none. Hey what did he do without Moss? I dont know- he threw for 4700 yards in Moss' final year, when he "played" in 13 games and if you remember, some of those games Moss played for merely 1-2 series. Lets flip it- what has Brees done without Tomlinson and Gates? NOTHING. ZILCH. And, according to NFL Network, Culpepper's knee is in better shape than Brees' shoulder. The Fins were not sold on Brees' injury. This is a GREAT move and we FINALLY have our QB. How you can be disappointed is completely and utterly baffling. Nick is doing a wonderful job. Watch the FA signings start to flow in now that this is settled.

I agree completely bro. I would have rather had Bree's, Schaub, Lienhart, Cutler, and prolly even Omar jacobs or Brodie Croyle. Lj Shelton is an ok addition but Bentley would have been much better. I am glad about mawea b/c we dont need anymore players that old. I would have liked to have seen a better linebacker as well. Average, average, average is all i am seeing so far. And i dont know what the fins are thinking b/c when it comes time to rework Peppers contract i am bettings its not going to be cheap. And i freakin hate his stupid arms rolling thing when he scores a TD. I am really hoping he fails his physical and then maybe we can go after Schaub or try to move up.

I amazed at some of you.

Daunte Culpepper is a 3 time pro bowler who threw 39 touchdown passes in 2004(12 more than Brees best year), he is not a smurf QB like Brees who barely reaches 6 foot, in fact at his combine they listed him at just under 6 foot.

I totally salute Saban for bringing in one of the best QB's in the league for a second rounder versus paying 10 million per year too Drew Brees.

We now have the makings of an incredible offense, a powerful offense that will strike fear into our opponents.

I have much more faith in Culpepper coming back all the way from a knee injury than I do Brees(who already had average arm strength) coming back from shoulder surgery with full arm strength.

Trust Saban on this one, he knows what he is doing.

wow, sounds to me like you live in lala land buddy. Who was it that got your hopes up for you? I always thought that we created our own expectations, but hey, each to their own.

By the way, what team did you say you were a scout for? You must be with the in depth analysis you must possess on the free agents that we signed and didn't sign.

Ok, now I'm the one being a jerk. I apologies, but seriously, how can you (or anyone oese) make any judgement on ANY of the moves Saban has made until you see the results? To this point, all any of us have are preconceived notions about any of the players.

None of them have ever been in this system (even Pepper will see differences), none have had a coach like Saban, so I find it fruitless to prematurely think that they cannot do well here.

Our off-season signings may not have been the "sexiest" picks, but we don't know how they will pan out until they line up against another team. I suggest we all sit back, let them work, and see how they do on the field before we write anyone off or determine anyone has "disappointed" us with their decision making.

Dolfan1000 said:
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!

What the hell did you expect? This was the BEST QB AVAILABLE in terms of talent, bar none. Hey what did he do without Moss? I dont know- he threw for 4700 yards in Moss' final year, when he "played" in 13 games and if you remember, some of those games Moss played for merely 1-2 series. Lets flip it- what has Brees done without Tomlinson and Gates? NOTHING. ZILCH. And, according to NFL Network, Culpepper's knee is in better shape than Brees' shoulder. The Fins were not sold on Brees' injury. This is a GREAT move and we FINALLY have our QB. How you can be disappointed is completely and utterly baffling. Nick is doing a wonderful job. Watch the FA signings start to flow in now that this is settled.

Amen Brother, Amen. Im excited. :dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom