Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread

ashtoncvsg said:
Phinadict, as fans it is our job to make judgements on moves our teams make, its what we do. Also, I didn't say we won't do well w/ Pepper, he is a def upgrade on Gus, just don't think it was our best option. Dolfan1000, the answer is nothing, he did nothign w/o Moss. While I LOVE Chambers, he isn't Randy Moss, to think he is is crazy, and thats ok, because i feel Moss is top 3 WR in the league. I'm just very sceptical as to what he is capable of w/o a Randy Moss. Please sell me on Pepper maybe I'm missing something, I ju st think there are too many unanswered ? w/ him.

Wrong. Culpepper's best year was Moss' last year, when he threw for over 4000 yards. Now, Moss was injured most of the season. He "played" in 13 games, and when I say played, I mean "was not inactive". Because if you remember, many of the games in which he "played", he ended up playing 1 or 2 series or not even playing at all. So now answer me this- how did Brees do before the LT and Gates combo?

Minus, I think we all agree The AJ trade was horrible. I wouldn't say this trade is brilliant though either. Like your point #5, that could have played into it. Do you think it would be 64% if he didn't have Moss all those years?

The Way We Handled the QB search...

I am not happy with how we went about aquiring a new QB. First off the only two legit options were Culpepper and Brees. The rest IMO were just backups that had shown no more potential than Feeley did. That being said we knew that we were the only major players for Culpepper, and reports were that Brees was still comtemplating between us and the Saints untill the moment we traded for Daunte. What we should have done was wait for Drew to make his decision then turned our focus on t Daunte. Then continue to put out feelers on guys like Schaub and Ramsey to show the Vikings we had other options, and drive the price down to a third. The only reason I say a third is because he may not be ready until half way through the season, otherwise a second would have been fine. The thing that really worries me at this point is what if Daunte fail his physical. Then we are left with only backup QB's as options once again.

i to also wanted brees alot. but C pep is alot better than any second rd Qb that we would have got this year. giving up the pick sucks but still a good 2rd choice. with frist rd talent. aleast it is just one pick and not a stupid move to add better picks if he does good here. cost less to. so i am bumbed but not upset, we still got one of them.

ashtoncvsg said:
Minus, I think we all agree The AJ trade was horrible. I wouldn't say this trade is brilliant though either. Like your point #5, that could have played into it. Do you think it would be 64% if he didn't have Moss all those years?

The man obviously benefited from having Moss but you can't make the argument that Moss was that big of factor for completions.I'll say that Moss was a minor factor in that regard but the man obviously has to have some accuracy to do it.

LarryFinFan said:
Juan...Culpepper is being signed for the future, not for the 2006 season. There is very little chance he'll start before October and even when he does, he'll be less than 100%. He is NOT the QB for the 2006.

My guess is that the shoulder combined with the price Brees was asking scared them away....QB-wise, Culpepper is a better QB, but injury is still a question...and character as well...

But we lose big time on compensation with this trade...Minny screwed us on this one...

How did we get screwed??

A second round pick for a franchise pro bowl QB.

Culpep comes to Miami and gets MUCH MUCH better coaching and look at his surroundings! He has Chambers McMike, Ronnie and possibly Ricky to throw the ball to.

We are talking about a multiple probowl (2000, 2003, 2004) QB here. A top 3 QB!! Brees was top 10. Culpep was top 3!

BlueFin said:
I amazed at some of you.

Daunte Culpepper is a 3 time pro bowler who threw 39 touchdown passes in 2004(12 more than Brees best year), he is not a smurf QB like Brees who barely reaches 6 foot, in fact at his combine they listed him at just under 6 foot.

I totally salute Saban for bringing in one of the best QB's in the league for a second rounder versus paying 10 million per year too Drew Brees.

We now have the makings of an incredible offense, a powerful offense that will strike fear into our opponents.

I have much more faith in Culpepper coming back all the way from a knee injury than I do Brees(who already had average arm strength) coming back from shoulder surgery with full arm strength.

Trust Saban on this one, he knows what he is doing.

I am with you! I do not understand how people could be anything but positive about this! I mean look people got paasionate about A.J Feeley who we gave a second for and he was/is/always a nobody! This is for a 3 time pro bowl QB who is only 29.

Also he did not beat his wife or rob anybody or use a gun.

He is well liked by his teamates and is not a locker room cancer.

People will come around when he fires a long bomb for a TD that we have not seen since Dan.

NatCyn said:
Yes, and we have the same system in Miami. .

I'm amazed how many people didn't get the news that Linehan left for St. Louis. We aren't running his system.
We hired Mularkey for our OC. Saban stated were keeping the same terminology to help players transition to the NEW system.

thepoolboy said:
Who ever said Daunte's injury was clearly worse than Brees' injury? I was always advised the consensus was that it was more difficult to come back from a shoulder injury than a knee injury. In recent history, there are countless players who have come back from ripped knees but few have come back from wrecked shoulders...Pennington and Boselli certainly come to mind.

As for Brees, bear in mind he had a torn labrum and a partially torn rotator cuff. A likely tall order for an already average-armed QB.

I could not have said it better myself!

I am worried over trade simply because of the injury of Culpepper, but Brees' injury must have been pretty bad for Saban to pass him up (plus Brees wanted a lot of guaranteed money). If Culpepper can start day 1 next year great trade, if he can't start until 2007 bad trade. However saying this year's FA in Miami is average your crazy, Culpepper is huge news.

ashtoncvsg said:

The man obviously benefited from having Moss but you can't make the argument that Moss was that big of factor for completions.I'll say that Moss was a minor factor in that regard but the man obviously has to have some accuracy to do it.

Just curious, were you one of the posters screaming to get it done already so we could get the rest of Free Agency figured out?

Reminder: We spent a higher value second round pick on A.J. Feeley. Just let that marinate a little. It makes this feel so good.

korl68 said:
I am with you! I do not understand how people could be anything but positive about this! I mean look people got paasionate about A.J Feeley who we gave a second for and he was/is/always a nobody! This is for a 3 time pro bowl QB who is only 29.

Also he did not beat his wife or rob anybody or use a gun.

He is well liked by his teamates and is not a locker room cancer.

People will come around when he fires a long bomb for a TD that we have not seen since Dan.

I am totally stoked about this one Korl, I would never have dreamed Daunte Culpepper, still in his prime would be quarterbacking the Dolphins.

And is if it really was a 2007 pick and not a 2006, that is just incredible.

I also read Daunte is willing to restructure his contract to help the Dolphins, this is all good.

I hope all of you disagreeing w/ me are right. I think I may have explained thigns wrong, I am not totally against Pepper or Saban, I'm just dissapointed. Last year the main concern was qb and ol and what did we do. This year it was qb ol and cb, and so far we have gotten an avg ol and a qb w/ lots of questions. Everyone is also forgetting rushing is a big part of Pepper's game, who knows if he will be able to rush anymore.

One thing I do like about this move that has already been brought up is he wanted us. I like the fact that he wanted to play in Miami.

Does anyone have any idea of approx. what we will be paying him?

Back
Top Bottom