Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3x: Semi-Official Disappointed with Culpepper Thread

Please if you guys think I'm wrong, please explain why you think I'm wrong, maybe I'm missing something, I hope I am. Saban4Pres, you obviously didn't read the thread. I am not losing faith in Saban over one trade, it is an accumulation of the past 2 offseasons. Please if you are going to respond read the thread first. Also, have some substance in the reply, if you think Pepper is a top QB explain why, don't just say he is and thats it.

There is an article on espn.com that says Saban turned to the Vikings late yesterday -- right after Brees went through his physical and examination on his injured shoulder. They speculate that maybe Saban didn't like the results of those medical tests enough to up the ante to get Brees.

Trekbiz said:
Well I always liked Culpepper in the past so that's not an issue.
As for the rest of your post I'm with you.

Surprisingly I'm with you 100% on this viewpoint.

I can't believe how dissapointed I am with this news.

It's the fact that not only was Culpepper our second choice, not only that he is clearly the higher health risk but also your giving up a 2nd round pick for that 2nd choice prospect with a greater injury concern.

Choosing a saving of 2 million in pay over getting your first option which is a lesser risk and keeping your draft pick just dosen't seem like a good decision to me. I'm an ardent supporter of Saban as well, but still I just can't bring myself to like this move at all.

Higher health risk and greater injury concern? Ok ... first of all these guys are QUARTERBACKS not runningbacks. They use their arms and should know how to stay in the pocket. Now tell me, for a QB what is more important, legs or arms. I'm fairly certain that an arm injury is much more of a risk factor when choosing a QB because he uses it day in and day out to make money. Look at Pennington. One arm injury turned into another which turned into another. Daunte just needs some coaching on how to stay in the pocket and hold on to the ball better. Let him rest for a good amount of time and his knee will be plenty strong to stay in the pocket and sling the ball like he's supposed to.

I agree too, the only way to fix this crap is now to go get TO

Beachbum said:
Interesting :rolleyes2 cuz Scott Linehan was Daunte's OC at Minnesota for 3 or 4 years.

Yes, and we have the same system in Miami. The difference is more in the offensive philosophy. You can't tell me that a team that actually introduces a "Randy ratio" and is constantly in shoot outs because they have no defense is a healthy offense. Before you jump on me think a little about the circumstances surrounding the two offenses. I'm not an idiot. Just because a team has the same offensive coordinator doesn't mean that the offense is the same. Minnesota didn't have a healthy offense, and I don't mean it was unproductive, I mean they tended to be very pass heavy both out of neccesity and because they had to please an egotistical receiver. I'm not fighting with you, but don't try to call me out please.

WvFinFan said:
I am really hoping he fails his physical and then maybe we can go after Schaub or try to move up.

Wow, you'd take Matt Schaub over Daunte Culpepper?!? I'm not sure what to say about that...maybe, just.....wow.

Phinadict, as fans it is our job to make judgements on moves our teams make, its what we do. Also, I didn't say we won't do well w/ Pepper, he is a def upgrade on Gus, just don't think it was our best option. Dolfan1000, the answer is nothing, he did nothign w/o Moss. While I LOVE Chambers, he isn't Randy Moss, to think he is is crazy, and thats ok, because i feel Moss is top 3 WR in the league. I'm just very sceptical as to what he is capable of w/o a Randy Moss. Please sell me on Pepper maybe I'm missing something, I ju st think there are too many unanswered ? w/ him.

two years ago AJ Feeley was traded for a 2nd rounder in last years draft
2nd round miami pick = #3

this year Daunte Culpepper was traded for a 2nd rounder in the draft
2nd rounder miami pick = #20

Brilliant!!!

Saban is the man...

1. Brees wanted alot more money
2. Culpepper said he will restructure his contract
3. Culpepper is cheaper then brees is upon the cap
4. Brees shoulder injury might make his already weak arm wrost.
5. We are keeping a system like Scott's was last year which Culpepper used to run.
6.Culpepper career completion % is 64..

On The NFl Network they said that hios injury is healing perfectly as of now........and there shouldnt be any problems.......so maybe his injury isnt a big deal

Oh, now its crap? With Gus Frerotte we were going to shock the world but with Daunte Culpepper we're crap?

Ummm.. come again?

Get off Brees jock and realize that all of the questions surrounding Daunte are there with him. Injury- take your pick, a QB with a shoulder (hello Chad Pennington) or one with a knee. Supporting cast- Randy Moss or LT and Antonio Gates. Furthermore, we're getting a guy who wanted nothing to do with any team but ours, turned away the Titans and actually wants to be a Miami Dolphin. Enough of this mixed feelings crap with Brees- a guy who WANTS to be here will be a better player.

Why are people so down on Culpepper. Let not forget that his success came in the years that Linehan was the OC in Minny. He was here last year and DC struggled with the new OC in MInny. Saban has said that we are not changing the offence of Linehans that we installed last year except for a few tweaks by Mularkey. I dont see why DC can not be successful again here back in a system he is familiar with and had good numbers in.!

BlueFin said:
I amazed at some of you.

Daunte Culpepper is a 3 time pro bowler who threw 39 touchdown passes in 2004(12 more than Brees best year), he is not a smurf QB like Brees who barely reaches 6 foot, in fact at his combine they listed him at just under 6 foot.

I totally salute Saban for bringing in one of the best QB's in the league for a second rounder versus paying 10 million per year too Drew Brees.

We now have the makings of an incredible offense, a powerful offense that will strike fear into our opponents.

I have much more faith in Culpepper coming back all the way from a knee injury than I do Brees(who already had average arm strength) coming back from shoulder surgery with full arm strength.

Trust Saban on this one, he knows what he is doing.

All your positive points are well noted.
Obviously, I sincerely hope that you are right.
Let's hope Daunte makes a quick and total recovery.

ashtoncvsg said:
Why does it seem like the same things happen to us every offseason? Go into the FA with high hopes, but seem like we always get the short end of the stick. Think we are getting Brees, then turns out to get a guy that we weren't even permitted to give a true evaluation, no physical. Seems like everyone has forgotten what Pepper did before he was injured w/o Randy, NOTHING!!! So now not only do we get an overratted QB, but one we have no idea about how he is physically, and who knows if he will be ready for the start of the season.

Aside from Pepper we missed out a a pro bowl Center in Mawae, and got an average OL in Shelton. Then there is the WR issue, I personally think WR is not the place we need to spend money, but they get our hopes up w/ talks of Givens and then it seems like almost no push was made for him either. If anyone actually thinks TO is going to sign w/ us you are crazy! So lets not even see the TO threads, please.

I am a Wanny hater, and felt good about Saban, but thus far I am dissapointed. Last season when he said our main concerns are the O Line and QB what did he do? I blew it off and put it on stage fright, 1st year in NFL doesn't want to make major moves, ok. This year there is no excuse. And then there is Ricky, my RW jersey went up in flames in the parking lot of Joe Robbie last year, looks like more should have followed suit. This POS should have been dropped from the team last season, and now we have to deal w/ him all over again. I don't care if he is innocent or whatever, I don't want to hear about him, or have him affecting this team.

I'm not sayin they should have payed Brees all this gaurenteed moeny, but Pepper wasn't the answer. Why were there no talks about trading up for Leinart or Cutler?

If you look at what Saban did last offseason with less money, it was a fantastic offseason and he didn't sign any really huge names....Holliday, Carter, Schulters, Jones, etc...no big names but a very good offseason...

This year, we did acquire a real starting QB...albeit, he won't be ready till mid season at best. I'm disappointed that we had to give up a draft pick. I'm not disappointed with this offseason because it ain't over yet...

Saban would not have gone into the draft thinking that he had to trade up to get one of the big 3 QBs... He is too calculating and too much of a solid planner to go into the draft "hoping" to trade up...the cost would have really been prohibitive then...

The Moss-Culpepper argument is weak. While he didn't do well last year, his best year as a pro (that everyone would have been talking about except that Manning trumped him that particular year), he had Moss for less than half the season and Moss was ineffective much of the time he was in that year.

RW came back and had a very good year. What is you beef with that ?? You don't like the way he quit, fine but he played well last year. What happens this year is yet to be decided. Bringing RW back was the best thing that Saban could have done for the sake of the franchise. We at the very least recouped 2/3s of a season from him...maybe more, but we have to wait and see on that...

Had we picked up Brees, we also would have gotten a QB that we don't know if he'll come back healthy.

I don't personally like the Culpepper trade, but I didn't like the Brees idea either...

Back
Top Bottom