*** Merged: Albert for ??? Trade MEGA-Thread *** | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Merged: Albert for ??? Trade MEGA-Thread ***

Sims is our best blocking TE, Julius Thomas is soft as heck. We lose Sims it will hurt our run blocking and pass blocking. And if the plan is to get another inline blocker in the draft like a Jake Butt or a Michael Roberts who you can get late in the draft, it's just more wasted draft picks just to save a buck. Create a hole just to fill it again and never actually build a foundation or build on top of that foundation to actually get better.

I think we'll be sorry about this trade. Julius Thomas is going to miss a lot of games. He's never played 16 games in his career and he's getting paid a lot of money to sit on the bench. I'm not blaming Tannenbaum on this one though...this is all Gase IMO. Gase might be able to coach but I was already iffy on his eye for personnel...this just makes me lose even more confidence in his ability to put together a complete team.

I much less fussed about this than the maxwell trade or the vile carroo draft trade.

All we are really giving up is some cap that we would only have wasted on some random injury prone jets reject anyway and cutting Albert means its cap neutral. This at least has some upside and he can't be worse than Cameron so im a bit meh about it.

Plus Thomas is great on Madden :lol: more than you can say about a lot of our recent additions and picks

Still don't see the downside even after reading through 30 pages. This makes too much sense as an appeasement for everyone. Gase wants more offensive firepower because that's the kind of coach he is ... done. Tannenbaum lives to make deals happen and this one doesn't involve pissing away draft picks ... done. The defense is in dire straits and this frees up draft picks for defense ... done.

Nothing is guaranteed with howard, njoku (sp), or thomas. But what hurts you more, missing on another first round pick or missing on a TE gamble that costs you little long term? Total no brainer for me. Him taking a paycut would just be icing on the cake.

And agreed that getting Thomas doesn't effect Sims. If you're asking for Thomas to inline block you're stupid anyhow. He'll be flexed out as a mismatch, just like he was in Denver.

Still don't see the downside even after reading through 30 pages. This makes too much sense as an appeasement for everyone. Gase wants more offensive firepower because that's the kind of coach he is ... done. Tannenbaum lives to make deals happen and this one doesn't involve pissing away draft picks ... done. The defense is in dire straits and this frees up draft picks for defense ... done.

Nothing is guaranteed with howard, njoku (sp), or thomas. But what hurts you more, missing on another first round pick or missing on a TE gamble that costs you little long term? Total no brainer for me. Him taking a paycut would just be icing on the cake.

Except we opened another hole on the O-line without saving the cap dollars in the process to replace him.

Welp.

[TWEET]833726854301368323[/TWEET]

Except we opened another hole on the O-line without saving the cap dollars in the process to replace him.

I am 100% on board with getting 2 quality guards in FA. Overspend if we have to, because we can't draft olinemen to save our lives. I haven't even looked at the offensive line this time around, that's how far removed I am from using another wasted pick on one. Having a blue chip LT fall in our laps then throwing him in at LG (when we all know he'll be at LT sometime anyhow) for 2 seasons diminishes return and makes little sense. Moving on from Albert was always the thought process IMO - we get a piece Gase covets with a trade instead of release. Me gusta.

I much less fussed about this than the maxwell trade or the vile carroo draft trade.

All we are really giving up is some cap that we would only have wasted on some random injury prone jets reject anyway and cutting Albert means its cap neutral. This at least has some upside and he can't be worse than Cameron so im a bit meh about it.

Plus Thomas is great on Madden :lol: more than you can say about a lot of our recent additions and picks
If you're one of the people on this site that's OK with Mike Pouncey getting his $10 million per season all the while knowing he's only going to give you 12 games at the most, if you're lucky, and knowing full well you need to go into the season having a plan B in place for when he does get injured. Then I'm sure you're completely onboard with the Julius Thomas trade.

People around here were complaining that Brandon Albert got paid too much and was injured too often. Wait till Julius Thomas gets here. If he gets a hang nail he's going to sit, if someone scratches him on the arm he's going to sit, if his shoes are too tight he's going to sit.

Whether it's a draft pick or a Thomas, I don;t really care. Would actually prefer Thomas because he has proven he can been efficient under Gase.

That draft pick will probably be a 7th round selection which is usually a crap shoot. I know we get cap savings but who do you see as a valid replacement at TE? Draft? Free Agency? At least with Julius we fill up a hole and can focus solely on defense with our cap and draft picks. We all knew that Albert was gone anyway, so please don't pull the whole "create a hole on the O-line". Him never being healthy caused us to have holes all last year.

I also hope Armando is wrong in that it's for only a late round draft pick in 2018.

Makes sense though. maybe a conditional pick in 2018 based on how Albert holds up in Jax. especially if Jax is going to pony up more money for Albert and rework his contract.

I also hope Armando is wrong in that it's for only a late round draft pick in 2018.

It's conditional but I would much rather this deal than for Julius Thomas. Dolphins were going to cut him so at least they get a draft pick out of it and the cap relief for free agency which would not have happened if they had traded for that soft freakin TE.

Keep this in mind for people who wanted Thomas - he could get released..or traded still.

Updating an earlier item, Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times Union reports that Julius Thomas is due $3 million guaranteed on the first day of the new league year.
That's not until March 9. There were reports going around this week that Thomas was due $3 million guaranteed on February 10, but O'Halloran claims that isn't the case. Thomas has been an injury-prone bust since joining the Jaguars in 2015. We're guessing he'll be cut before the March 9 deadline.http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6598/julius-thomas

If you're one of the people on this site that's OK with Mike Pouncey getting his $10 million per season all the while knowing he's only going to give you 12 games at the most, if you're lucky, and knowing full well you need to go into the season having a plan B in place for when he does get injured. Then I'm sure you're completely onboard with the Julius Thomas trade.

People around here were complaining that Brandon Albert got paid too much and was injured too often. Wait till Julius Thomas gets here. If he gets a hang nail he's going to sit, if someone scratches him on the arm he's going to sit, if his shoes are too tight he's going to sit.

I don't see them as the same at all, but for the record I dislike Pouncey at $10 mil.

Thomas would not be our starting, inline tight end. Sims would be. So while you're losing a seam threat, flexed out, red zone option ... you still aren't losing a starter that absolutely requires a plan B. He's a luxury piece, one that Gase wants for his offense to fire on all cylinders.

I can behind the argument that he's a luxury that won't deliver for what he'll cost, if you wanted to go that route. I'm more in the draft defense in the first 4 rounds or else group, so that's why I'm so on board with this. If Gase thinks he can be the missing piece, I'm cool with it.

Back
Top Bottom