Merged: Antonio Cromartie | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Antonio Cromartie

sports24/7 said:
I doubt he'll be there in the second. He is a phenominal talent and if he hadn't gotten injured he probably would have been a top 10 pick. I wouldn't mind taking him in the first if he can prove his knee is healthy. If we got him in the second it would be highway robbery.

How can he "prove" his knee is healthy before the draft? Yatil Green's knee was looking good during his second offseason... until he blew out the other one.

I would not draft a player coming off of a major season ending injury in the first 16 picks of the draft when there are plenty of healthy, and equally talented, alternatives.

Dolfan4life34 said:
if he tests out in the combine well and proves to be faster and stronger y not take him in the first cb is a huge need and he gives us a #1 for the future

Why not take him? Because there are plenty of players just as good (though not necessarily at CB) that aren't coming off major knee injuries. Were some of you not around for the Yatil Green years?

General Tso said:
I would not draft a player coming off of a major season ending injury in the first 16 picks of the draft when there are plenty of healthy, and equally talented, alternatives.

Equally talented??? You really don't know how good Cromartie is. He is the best Defensive Back in the draft. Better than Huff,Williams,etc. When he was healthy he showed why. The only reason we can draft him is because of an injury and he has only played 2 seasons.

SackArtist said:
Equally talented??? You really don't know how good Cromartie is. He is the best Defensive Back in the draft. Better than Huff,Williams,etc. When he was healthy he showed why. The only reason we can draft him is because of an injury and he has only played 2 seasons.

When Yatil Green was healthy he was the best WR prospect in the draft. Too bad he was never healthy.

I'll take a healthy Huff or Williams over a player coming off a major knee injury any day of the week... and so will NFL GMs.

SackArtist said:

I dont know if he is better than Huff

Considering Huff is a saftey its hard to compare

But Huff is a great tackler and great against the pass

They play different positions so its hard to say

Its like If I say 'Jerry Rice is better than Dan Marino'

You cant really judge either way because they do differnt things

or better comparison

'Mike Alstott is better than Carnell Williams'

'I am starting a petiton to never call him caddilac again!'

General Tso said:
When Yatil Green was healthy he was the best WR prospect in the draft. Too bad he was never healthy.

I'll take a healthy Huff or Williams over a player coming off a major knee injury any day of the week... and so will NFL GMs.
He might never have another serious injury. You don't know what's going to happen. For all you know Huff or Williams might have one. Not only do I think Cromartie is the best DB, but he is the best player on D, or atleast in the top 2 with mario williams. Basically, we wont get an equally talented player with the 16th pick. Cromartie has superstar potential. He is like Sean Taylor but at CB instead of S.

SackArtist said:
He might never have another serious injury. You don't know what's going to happen. For all you know Huff or Williams might have one. Not only do I think Cromartie is the best DB, but he is the best player on D, or atleast in the top 2 with mario williams. Basically, we wont get an equally talented player with the 16th pick. Cromartie has superstar potential. He is like Sean Taylor but at CB instead of S.

The chances of Huff, Williams, or other major injury free players that may be available at #16 staying healthy are much higher than Cromartie's chances. When teams roll the dice on injured players early in the draft and the player continues to have injury problems then it can hurt the team for years (see Miami's struggles at WR in the late 90's since they kept passing on players, hoping for Green's healthy return).

I don't care how good Cromartie is when he's healthy... if he can't stay healthy he's useless and a waste of money. Since he didn't go back to school to prove he could stay healthy for a year his knee injury is a major question mark and red flag against him... too major to be worth the risk at #16.

He may never be injured again

But there is more a chance he gets injured than Huff or any of them

My step brother was an awsome basketball player for 2 years in high school but then he blew out his knee and kept re-injuring himself

So he will never get a shot at anything more than maybe small college basketball most likely, not because he isnt good, but because HE CANT STAY HEALTHY

I hate the Criminoles & I agree 100%. Cromartie is the best CB in the nation, a true lock down corner with 4.4 speed & can tackle. If he proves that he's healthy & can cut in workouts I'd love to get him at #16. Prior to his injury he was a projected top 10 pick. The Bills took Willis McGahee after he came of major knee surgery (all three ligaments) & he's one of the NFLs best. Repairing a knee isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

General Tso said:
How can he "prove" his knee is healthy before the draft? Yatil Green's knee was looking good during his second offseason... until he blew out the other one.

He obviously can't prove without a doubt his knee will never be a factor, but by doing drills involving alot of cutting and physical examinations can give you a good understanding of where he is at. His knee definitely scares me, but cornerbacks with his size and ability come arounnd...oh about never. If he can stay healthy he will be an elite CB for years to come. That kind of talent warrants taking a chance on him and I think someone will.

sports24/7 said:
He obviously can't prove without a doubt his knee will never be a factor, but by doing drills involving alot of cutting and physical examinations can give you a good understanding of where he is at. His knee definitely scares me, but cornerbacks with his size and ability come arounnd...oh about never. If he can stay healthy he will be an elite CB for years to come. That kind of talent warrants taking a chance on him and I think someone will.

Someone will... just not in the first 16 picks of the draft. This draft is too deep to roll the dice on a player with a major injury that early.

It's easy for a fan to say "what the hell, roll the dice because IF he stays healthy he COULD be great". When your tenure as GM/coach rides on hitting on players in the draft it's not so easy to make those kind of gambles.

SMadison29 said:
I hate the Criminoles & I agree 100%. Cromartie is the best CB in the nation, a true lock down corner with 4.4 speed & can tackle. If he proves that he's healthy & can cut in workouts I'd love to get him at #16. Prior to his injury he was a projected top 10 pick. The Bills took Willis McGahee after he came of major knee surgery (all three ligaments) & he's one of the NFLs best. Repairing a knee isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

And what healthy RB did Buffalo pass up to take a player with a major injury who was the best at his position PRIOR to that injury? Larry Johnson.

Who do you think the Bills would rather have now?

What I read says he is hoping to be 90% by mid February, and doing drills. Then be 100% for the combine, and show all his stuff. I am looking for the link.

General Tso said:
And what healthy RB did Buffalo pass up to take a player with a major injury who was the best at his position PRIOR to that injury? Larry Johnson.

Who do you think the Bills would rather have now?

The Bills would rather have KC's O-line is what they would want. What you just said is like saying we should've takin Cadillac over Brown last draft because Caddy had more yards rushing this year. Well that is bogus because they are 2 different teams with 2 different situations. Maybe if LJ went to Buffalo, and had to play right away, and not sit for the 3 seasons, he wouldn't be doing as well either.

General Tso said:
Someone will... just not in the first 16 picks of the draft. This draft is too deep to roll the dice on a player with a major injury that early.

It's easy for a fan to say "what the hell, roll the dice because IF he stays healthy he COULD be great". When your tenure as GM/coach rides on hitting on players in the draft it's not so easy to make those kind of gambles.
Maybe not in the first 16, but I think somewhere in the first round and if Cutler, Huff, Greenway, Ngata, and Ryans are gone I wouldn't be surprised if Nick didn't roll the dice on him. I'm hoping Cutler is there and we don't have to make that dicision, but he could end up being well worth the gamble.

Back
Top Bottom