MERGED: Anyone watch Bills game | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Anyone watch Bills game

BuffRangePigpen said:
I can't take it, i'm out of here. Back to the Buffalo board where the posters have made it past the third grade.

Let me ask you this....

What draft pick did Buffalo use for Lee Evans?

BuffRangePigpen said:
If you want to look at it that way. yes, Evans cost a 1st round pick.

Losman was the 22nd pick. The Bills paid a 2nd, a 5th, and a 1st (next year) to Dallas to get that pick. Therefore Losman cost a 2nd, a 5th, and a 1st.

Am I missing something?

The other way to look at it is that the Bills paid a 5th this year and a 1st next year to move up approx 22 picks.

Either way, its a lot to give up.

BuffRangePigpen said:
WTH are we arguing?

We are arguing how much the Bills gave up for Losman.

Some (including you I thought) are trying to claim he only cost a 2nd and a 5th. That is wrong.

If anytime you draft somebody is costs you a pick, (just as Lee Evans cost Buffalo a 1st round pick) then JP cost Buffalo a first round pick in 2004, plus the 1st rounder they gave to Dallas in 2005. By that same terminology, it also cost Dalls the pick they gave to Buffalo in 2004, plus the player they will select with Buffalo's pick in 2005. 2 for 2. That's why they cancel each other out. If the 2nd and 5th were not included in the trade, would you say that picking JP cost the bills two picks? I wouldn't, because we used the pick we got from dallas in exchange for a pick we gave them. With that in mind, the swap for 1st rounders cost Buffalo a 2nd and a 5th.

BuffRangePigpen said:
If anytime you draft somebody is costs you a pick, (just as Lee Evans cost Buffalo a 1st round pick) then JP cost Buffalo a first round pick in 2004, plus the 1st rounder they gave to Dallas in 2005. By that same terminology, it also cost Dalls the pick they gave to Buffalo in 2004, plus the player they will select with Buffalo's pick in 2005. 2 for 2. That's why they cancel each other out. If the 2nd and 5th were not included in the trade, would you say that picking JP cost the bills two picks? I wouldn't, because we used the pick we got from dallas in exchange for a pick we gave them. With that in mind, the swap for 1st rounders cost Buffalo a 2nd and a 5th.

:confused:

Losman cost the Bills a 2nd and 5th this year and a 1st next year. He didn't cost Dallas anything.

If the 2nd and the 5th were not included in the trade, Losman would have cost the Bills 1 pick. Since they were included in the trade, he cost them THREE picks. If they were not included, would you say Losman cost the Bills ZERO picks? I wouldn't.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
:confused:

Losman cost the Bills a 2nd and 5th this year and a 1st next year. He didn't cost Dallas anything.

If the 2nd and the 5th were not included in the trade, Losman would have cost the Bills 1 pick. Since they were included in the trade, he cost them THREE picks. If they were not included, would you say Losman cost the Bills ZERO picks? I wouldn't.

But you can't have it both ways. Either swapping first round picks is 1 for 1, or it's 2 for 2 (if you consider the act of actually making the selection "costing" a team a pick as you did with Evans.) If the 2nd and 5th weren't included i would consider the trade costing the Bills one pick, just as it cost the Cowboys 1 pick. 1 for 1. Even Steven. +1 + (-1) = 0. They cancel each other out. What you're left with is a 2nd and a 5th the bills gave to the cowboys to swap 1st rounders.

That's a 2nd and a 5th it cost the Bills for the ability to bring in a player a year earlier had they not made the trade. The fish are having a hard time at RB right now. Are you telling me you wouldn't consider giving up a 2nd and a 5th a good deal to be able to bring in a 1st rounder this year instead of next year?

BuffRangePigpen said:
But you can't have it both ways. Either swapping first round picks is 1 for 1, or it's 2 for 2 (if you consider the act of actually making the selection "costing" a team a pick as you did with Evans.) If the 2nd and 5th weren't included i would consider the trade costing the Bills one pick, just as it cost the Cowboys 1 pick. 1 for 1. Even Steven. +1 + (-1) = 0. They cancel each other out. What you're left with is a 2nd and a 5th the bills gave to the cowboys to swap 1st rounders.

That's a 2nd and a 5th it cost the Bills for the ability to bring in a player a year earlier had they not made the trade. The fish are having a hard time at RB right now. Are you telling me you wouldn't consider giving up a 2nd and a 5th a good deal to be able to bring in a 1st rounder this year instead of next year?

One last try.....

Lets pretend Dallas kept the pick and selected Losman.

They then traded Losman's rights to the Bills for:

1. a 2nd round pick in 2004
2. a 5th round pick in 2004
3. a 1st round pick in 2005

What would Losman have cost the Bills then?

I'm done trying. You're missing the point and you're tying to confuse things to make your point.

Here it is:

Bills gave up: 2005 1st rounder; 2004 2nd rounder; 2004 5th rounder

Bills recieved: 2004 1st rounder.

Take it for what it's worth.

BuffRangePigpen said:
I'm done trying. You're missing the point and you're tying to confuse things to make your point.

Here it is:

Bills gave up: 2005 1st rounder; 2004 2nd rounder; 2004 5th rounder

Bills recieved: 2004 1st rounder.

IF: (2005 1st rounder + 2004 2nd rounder + 2004 5th rounder) = 2004 1st rounder
AND: 2004 1st rounder = JP Losman
THEN: (2005 1st rounder + 2004 2nd rounder + 2004 5th rounder) = JP Losman

Seems pretty clear to me......

BUFFALO TRADED THEIR 2004 2ND AND 5TH ROUND PICKS FOR THE RIGHT TO USE THEIR 2005 FIRST ROUNDER ONE YEAR EARLY.

DALLAS DID NOT HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR. THEY HAVE 2 NEXT YEAR.

BUFFALO HAD 2 FIRST RD. PICKS THIS YEAR. THEY HAVE NONE NEXT YEAR.

THIS AINT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!!!

FinfanInBuffalo said:
IF: (2005 1st rounder + 2004 2nd rounder + 2004 5th rounder) = 2004 1st rounder
AND: 2004 1st rounder = JP Losman
THEN: (2005 1st rounder + 2004 2nd rounder + 2004 5th rounder) = JP Losman

Seems pretty clear to me......
Mathematically, you're thinking is very flawed.

You are treating the 1st in 2005 differently than the 1st in 2004 in your equation.

Rewriting your equation using the number for the round the pick occurs in:

1st + 2nd + 5th = 1st

2nd + 5th = 1st - 1st

1st's cancel out, and you're left with 2nd + 5th as the difference from the trade

Thankyou for proving the point. :)

Back
Top Bottom