Merged: Art Shell for President, Saban's Miami Coaching Staff, etc | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Art Shell for President, Saban's Miami Coaching Staff, etc

I think the feeling would be and was different a few weeks back. That was before Bates really had this team playing well when the season was long lost after Wanny left.

It was also before the big upset on Monday Night. I'm not saying I'm 100% sold on Saban, but right now I think he's the best candidate. With that being said, I hope Bates stays on as D Coordinator if Saban is hired.

KB21 said:
Jim Bates deserves a head coaching job as much as any other assistant in the league, but that Cleveland situation is a complete mess. The only way Bates would succeed in Cleveland is if they get themselves a strong general manager like Phil Savage.

And I can see it shaking down just that way.

phinfan2003 said:
I don't think you can even do that. That would be like me being an owner of a company and asking your friends what they think about you and whether you'd be a good employee in my company. Most would give a glaring endorsement. For good example of that, think back to comments made Peyton Manning and others such as Tony Dungy about Foerster when he became OC. The truth is nobody really knows how good or bad he will be. Which makes me wonder why we would give 5 mil. a year to a coach that we are clearly taking a calculated risk on.

Because it is a lot better than giving the keys to this great franchise to a coach that has zero head coaching experience at any level. This job is too big for an assistant coach to handle. Let other franchises develop the assistants into head coaches. Miami will go after the established head coaches as they have always done. Nick Saban is an established head coach.

I've hinted this before, but in fact, this probably ISN'T taking any longer than any other coaching search. The difference is that as die-hard fans with internet access, we chomp on every single morsel of gossip, rumor and innuendo, and as such, the wait is interminable for us. Look at this timetable in a vacuum...

Tuesday 12/14 - Phins interview Saban, find out what he wants
Wednesday 12/15 to Friday 12/17 (presumably) - Phins make sure that Saban is the guy they want
Monday 12/20 - Phins fulfill their requirements vis-a-vis the Rooney Rule
Tuesday 12/21 - Phins fulfill their requirement to do right by Jim Bates and bring him in for an interview
Wednesday 12/22 - Phins extend offer to Saban

From the initial conversation, to the formal offer took 8 days. That's not at all unreasonable when it comes to a coaching search. In fact, it's pretty fast compared to many coaching searches, where the initial interview is weeks before an offer is extended.

Hell, I interviewed for a new job on Friday, 12/17. I *WISH* they'd give me an offer within 8 days (and as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like an offer similar to what Saban received).

KB21 said:
Who voted?

Probably fans of other teams that don't want Saban in Miami.

Look at the comments guys like Bill Polian, Gil Brandt, Bill Belichick, George Perles, and Don Shula have made about him.

I agree. I think I trust the opinions of the people who are known and respected in the football community rather than a bunch of people that dont know jack about the sport.

Never, EVER, underestimate the effect of family(especially the wife) on a man's potential employment.

All things considered, I think Saban still comes to Miami

NorFlaFin said:
Never, EVER, underestimate the effect of family(especially the wife) on a man's potential employment.

All things considered, I think Saban still comes to Miami

Yeah he may be trying to sell it to the wife and kids.

Switzer has a ring, so good for him, but Jones said there were 500 coaches who could have won a Super Bowl with that team. And while that's obviously hyperbole, it's not unreasonable to say that almost any other coach in the league that year could have won the Super Bowl with that Cowboys team.

Fact is, Switzer is almost certainly the worst coach ever to win a Super Bowl, and the team declined pretty rapidly under his stewardship.

Agua said:
The deal he wants, with the team he wants, is out there. His lawyer would not have spent yesterday with Huizenga and then the phins send a public offer to the guy if Sexton hadn't indicated that the offer was going to work.

He's got to realize no one is going to fool with him, ever again, if he turns this down. It's now or never in the NFL for him.

Seriously. Is he trying to figure out if he has the guts to compete in the NFL? Is it the chance that he would look like a collosal failure if he doesn't succeed?

I can't figure out what the guy has to think about, unless its the fear of failure v. small town comfort where he's the king of all he surveys.

The same thoughts are going through my mind. What is there to decide? If you get what you want then sign on the dotted line. If he was unsure, then shame on him for making himself look like an A$$.

phinfan2003 said:
I don't think you can even do that. That would be like me being an owner of a company and asking your friends what they think about you and whether you'd be a good employee in my company. Most would give a glaring endorsement. For good example of that, think back to comments made Peyton Manning and others such as Tony Dungy about Foerster when he became OC. The truth is nobody really knows how good or bad he will be. Which makes me wonder why we would give 5 mil. a year to a coach that we are clearly taking a calculated risk on.

Hell...when Joe Robbie hired Shula, Shula had the reputation of not being able win the big one. NO ONE KNOWS! The choice isn't just a guess..it's a calculated risk. It's a business decision, and a very sound one IMO.

He will be the Dolphins new head coach don't worry. I think he respects LSU enough to do it the right way. Let's face it there is really no "Good Time" for a coach leaving college to the NFL because of recruiting. Saban is probably just contacting the right people personally and letting them know of his plans before he makes it public. Saban will be a winner for the dolphins because if he didn't think he could win he wouldn't except the job. Saban is a very driven man and will make dolphin fans happy for years to come. I hate to see him go but I understand that eventhough we think of college football so highly it pales in comparison to the NFL. Good luck and now I guess I will be a dolphin fan.

phinfan2003 said:
3-11 and we are taking a risk. I don't think so!!! Shula gives his endorsement that alone would sway me. My personal feeling is that he is a winner and will bring respectability back to this team. Lighten up folks be positive. Nick Saban if he accepts will be great. Watch.......... Merry Christmas, maybe there is a Santa!!!!

Back
Top Bottom