MERGED: Cassel and Vrabel Traded to Chiefs! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Cassel and Vrabel Traded to Chiefs!

At a patriots forum they believe they are releasing cap Cassell/Vrabel around 18mil and stock piling picks to try and get Julius Peppers....

SI.com reports that the Patriots have agreed to trade Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for the 34th overall pick of the NFL Draft.

There are reports, however, that question whether the deal is going through. Cassel's contract demands and/or a third "mystery team" could change the terms, but the paperwork is reportedly ready. Cassel was informed he was traded, according to ESPN.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/28/chiefs.trade.for.cassel/index.html

The money deal for cassel is 7yr/72mil

The move leaves the Patriots with three second-round picks in the 2009 draft and, as usual, puts New England in position to be a power-broker on draft day. No team has more than New England's four first-day draft choices; the Pats also have their own pick in the first round.

The move leaves the Patriots with three second-round picks in the 2009 draft and, as usual, puts New England in position to be a power-broker on draft day. No team has more than New England's four first-day draft choices; the Pats also have their own pick in the first round.

Like I said previously watch for the Julius Peppers trade coming....:(

This is a stupid trade by the chiefs. Instead of rebuilding through the draft like we are they're giving up picks to the patriots. The Vrabel trade makes sense, but this one doesn't. Personally I see Cassel being a bust. He couldn't get the ball deep to Randy Moss what makes the Chiefs think he'll be able to get the ball to Dwayne Bowe? Consequently, the Chiefs don't have a player like Wes Welker so he won't have his outlet receiver and thereby I see him failing. On top of that the Chiefs aren't nearly as talented or fundamental in their play as the Patriots are. They just traded for their next Elvis Grbac and truthfully I wouldn't mind if it wasn't helping the Patriots. But it is, and I see this as setting the Chiefs back even further on their time spent rebuilding.

It's all a conspiracy I'm telling you guys. The Patriots sent Scott Pioli to one of the worst teams in the league so he would send them back as many draft picks as he could get away with without getting fired. I'm getting out the old tin foil hat because the Patriots will probably start reading brain waves next and they'll look for us fin fans first. I suggest you guys do the same. :wink:

The Dolphins rebuilt through the draft by getting Chad Pennington? One of the worst teams in the league doesn't have as much talent as a team that went 11-5. Ok, the Chiefs do have some pieces though. They also got Dorsey and Albert last year in the 1st rd. Their defense was awful. Now atleast they've got somebody they believe can be their Qb. If Cassel fails then the Chiefs will fail. Just like in a year or two if Henne fails the Dolphins will fail.

dont matter who the pats get, their time is done, they will never win again, the circus has left town boys

dont matter who the pats get, their time is done, they will never win again, the circus has left town boys

:woot:

On a funny note the Chiefs took out both of the Pats QB's...

Brady the first day of the season and Cassel in trade.....:chuckle:

The Dolphins rebuilt through the draft by getting Chad Pennington? One of the worst teams in the league doesn't have as much talent as a team that went 11-5. Ok, the Chiefs do have some pieces though. They also got Dorsey and Albert last year in the 1st rd. Their defense was awful. Now atleast they've got somebody they believe can be their Qb. If Cassel fails then the Chiefs will fail. Just like in a year or two if Henne fails the Dolphins will fail.

Yes, Chad Pennington was a major part of our team but he wasn't the sole reason for our success nor was he part of the plan. He just happened to fall to us. We didn't trade any picks for him so it can't be considered the same as the Matt Cassel situation. And I'm not sure how successful Pennington would've been without Jake Long protecting his blind side. Or how or defense would've held up without a solid rotation on the defensive line. So yes, I do believe we are building through the draft rather than trading away picks for players who are products of a system. With the Henne statement I don't see Miami relying solely on Henne if they don't believe hes failing, we'll have a veteran signed as a safety net. Plus I don't think without Cassel the Chiefs will fail. Thigpen did pretty well last year with what he had, they just couldn't finish games. I just think the trade is a waste and could better be spent on their many other needs.

I still like it for the Chiefs, but I agree, the Pats appear to be up to something.

Why does this detract from the Chiefs' rebuilding effort? Cassel is still a really young player, and a guy like Vrabel will pay major dividends on an extremely young defense. Like others have said, we brought in Pennington and Ferguson to join Vonnie and Joey as the team leaders. You cant win in this league without a good core of veterans.

Back
Top Bottom