Merged: Coulda, woulda, shoulda/Drew Brees | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Coulda, woulda, shoulda/Drew Brees

Even had they drafted Brees, there is NO WAY that he would have developed into the player he has become by playing for wansteadt.

He would be a shadow of the player he is now with the Chargers. Our Offensive coordinator was horrible, our offensive system was bad, and our head coaching was pathetically conservative...:fire: :fire:

Eddie Moore said himself, he was shocked his name was called on the first day ........

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I think most scouts had him being taken in the middle of the 2nd round.

Do you have some links? I just never saw any scouting reports having him rated that high. Im interested to see if anyone other than wanny had him rated that high and who exactly these scouts are.

From what I remember at the time, he was rated as a second day player. I believe a lot of people, including Moore himself, were shocked he was taken that high.

EDIT: doing a quick search for draft reports at that time, this site http://www.gbnreport.com/2003prospects.htm had Moore listed as the 26th LB in the draft. Even if they are off by 15 spots, its still hard to justify taking the 11th best overall LB with the 49th selection in the draft. I remember at the time seeing a lot of sites like this listing Moore outside of the top 15 LBs in that draft.

Miamian said:
I can't stop thinking about this. Nothing against Gus, he's been doing a really good job, BUT,

WHAT IF the previous coach, who shall remain unmentioned, had drafted Drew Brees when he was available instead of Eddie Moore?

Since it took Brees 3 1/2 years to establish himself, he probably wouldh have been run out of town or sitting at 3rd here by now...timing is a lot of a players development. He would have struggled as a rook and "the previous coach, who shall remain unmentioned" would have shelved the guy on the pine somewhere...Instead of being a 3 year starter when he started his breakout year, he would have been a 3 year piner...you just can't compare what happened there to what happened here. Another thing, the SD OL blossomed last year when Brees woke up...our OL died last year so assuming the same things would have happened, Brees would not have had his breakout year here.

motormeat0170 said:
Spilled milk..... We also passed on Randy Moss a few years prior...

Yep, think of what he could have done for Marino his last couple of years....

What if Shula had ever picked the right RB to play with Marino.....

What if, What if, dosen't do any good now.

motormeat0170 said:
Spilled milk..... We also passed on Randy Moss a few years prior...

Common misconception. We never passed on Randy Moss. We traded down to the 31st pick BEFORE the draft......JJ said later that had he had any inclination that Randy Moss would have been available at our original spot (#19, I think), he wouldn't have traded down and would have absolutely taken Randy.

Small irony, the player who the Packers traded up into our spot for.....our very own Vonnie Holliday.

burger13 said:
Common misconception. We never passed on Randy Moss. We traded down to the 31st pick BEFORE the draft......JJ said later that had he had any inclination that Randy Moss would have been available at our original spot (#19, I think), he wouldn't have traded down and would have absolutely taken Randy.

Small irony, the player who the Packers traded up into our spot for.....our very own Vonnie Holliday.

No, it was clear that Moss was falling to around our pick the night prior to the draft day trade JJ made.

Many fans were instantly upset when they heard we traded down prior to our selection because there was so much buzz that Moss was going to be available at our spot.

JJ defended his trade down and stated he wasnt even looking to draft moss and would have taken Holiday had he stayed put.

shellgh0st said:
No, it was clear that Moss was falling to around our pick the night prior to the draft day trade JJ made.

Many fans were instantly upset when they heard we traded down prior to our selection because there was so much buzz that Moss was going to be available at our spot.

JJ defended his trade down and stated he wasnt even looking to draft moss and would have taken Holiday had he stayed put.

Fans were instantly upset b/c the trade wasn't announced until just before our pick but the trade was made before the draft.

And it was not clear tha Moss would drop. There was some speculation but most people figured someone would take hom early. ESPN was certainly surprised.

shellgh0st said:

That wasn't clear at all. It was a huge surprise during the draft, how would it not be a surprise the day before?

Whatever! It was a Dunba*s move in the 1st place to make a deal like that before the draft even started! JJ passed on Randy Moss period!

As for Wanny and his yearly warroom debacles...He sucked from a drafting standpoint...He sucked from a coaching standpoint...He sucked from the Bears' standpoint...and now he continues to suck from a College Football Coaching standpoint! But he's looking great from a failure standpoint.

I don't think you can do that because there are 100+ players that people could say, well what if we took him instead of him. Whats next? "What if we would have selected Cadillac over Brown?"

CsonkaClone said:
Whatever! It was a Dunba*s move in the 1st place to make a deal like that before the draft even started! JJ passed on Randy Moss period!

As for Wanny and his yearly warroom debacles...He sucked from a drafting standpoint...He sucked from a coaching standpoint...He sucked from the Bears' standpoint...and now he continues to suck from a College Football Coaching standpoint! But he's looking great from a failure standpoint.
To add to that, he is looking Great from our standpoint now that he is somewhere else and we have a great coach to replace him.

rafael said:
Fans were instantly upset b/c the trade wasn't announced until just before our pick but the trade was made before the draft.

And it was not clear tha Moss would drop. There was some speculation but most people figured someone would take hom early. ESPN was certainly surprised.

The trade was announced PRIOR to the start of the draft. The morning of the draft Chris Mortenson reported miami traded out of their slot.

The night before the draft Mort reported that Moss' stock has fallen and many teams took him off their draft boards and moss will be avaliable around 20.

Back
Top Bottom