Merged: Denver swaps with Cincy | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Denver swaps with Cincy

Bottom line:

Regardless of what the Broncos do, we'll still get our man....

There's plenty of solid OG's to choose from IMO. I'm not worried about it at all...

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

I think the big reason this trade was made was simply to get some value out of O'Neal. I know the draft pick charts aren't the most accurate, but O'Neal works out to being worth a late 3rd in this trade. Shanahan said he wouldn't trade O'Neal if he didn't get 3rd round value in return.

That said I think the two guys Shanahan would hope to be at #17 are Reggie Williams and Randy Starks. This also allows Denver to move into the top 10 without having to give up both their 2nd round picks to do it.

Originally posted by The Beach Bum
wow... o'neal... to move up 7 spots??? bad move broncos....

I agree.
I've NEVER been pro on moving up in the first round.
Teams give up too much to bet on getting a player that is just as big a gamble as one they could draft at their original spot.

Makes no sense to give up an established player just to swap picks.

O'Neal is not established...will you read the thread before saying that. He's so bad at CB they were going to move him to WR.

WR!

Deltha O'Neal has lived on his rep for a long time and I'm glad are agreeing how bad he truly is.

Cinci, what are you thinking!

I also wanted to point out noone knows for sure yet what offensive line philosophy Denver is going to employ this year. Many of their past O-line players are nearing retirement or getting cut.

They've lost Alex Gibbs, the architect of the line play they use.

George Foster isn't exactly a smaller offensive lineman.

The OL system the Broncos use is Shanahan's system, always has been and always will be. Shanny brought in Gibbs b/c Gibbs was the OL coach Shanahan thought could run it best. Gibbs has not been a full time coach for 3 seasons either. Their OL system is not changing.

They cut their worst O-Lineman this year. Nalen is the only one nearing retirement age and he was 1st team All-Pro last year. Neil and Lepsis just turned 30 and both were Pro Bowl alternates last year. Hamilton has played 3 seasons and Nalen was the only OL who graded out better than him, and that wasn't by much I heard. Foster is a change, but the reason the Broncos always picked smaller OL is b/c they like athletic guys on their OL. They felt Foster fit that athletic mold even though he's absolutely huge.

CPortis I'll respectfully disagree that Shanny is the reason that O-line play worked.

Alex Gibbs is the man at OL coaching and was still around for the last three years even if he didn't technically have the title of OL coach.

I'd like to see Shanny do something w/o Elway before he gets all the credit for everything.

I never said Shanahan was the reason the line worked. What I said is that the system isn't changing because Gibbs is gone. There's no denying Gibbs is a great coach, but he was running Shanahan's system and he has not been there full-time for 3 seasons.
Rick Dennison was the guy who was there day in and day out with the Broncos lineman.

We can get more for our pick on draft day, or closer to the draft, when teams are urgent to get a player.

Denver swaps with Cincy

According to the Sun-sentinel the Dnever Broncos traded away Deltha O'Neal and their 24 pick for Cincy's 17. Their needs are listed as wide reciever, Tight End, and D-line. Looks like this could be a little bad for Miami at no. 20 since Cincy was looking to go with a cornerback, a postition Miami is set at. Nothing to panic about, but I just thought everyone might like to know.

Denver is moving up to get a defensive tackle. Probably Randy Starks. There are two positions that they want to come out of this draft with. The first is an impact defensive tackle. Daryl Gardener has been an extreme disappointment ever since he left Miami. They also would like to add another cornerback. With two second round picks, they will likely wait to add a corner, opting to take Starks with the 17th pick.

Cincinnati could look to take either a DT like Donnell Washington or a cornerback with the 24th pick. Chances are, it will be a cornerback they take at 24. Chris Gamble could be available at that point and is a natural fit for the Bengals.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
They also would like to add another cornerback

No they don't. Corner won't be looked at until the 2nd day, if at all, in this draft. You at least got one position and one player right in Starks. Their other 1st round need is a WR.

Actually Denver just made a jump and opened up alot of opportunity for their team.

Ian Gold, Clinton Portis, Daryl Gardener, Bert Berry....

That moves them in front of needs or replacements for..

Cincy-OL, RB, DE
NO-(Ian Gold visited them)
Min-LB, DL
Miami-OL, LB (Hendricks), DE (maybe)
NE-RB, OL (Woody, Compton)
Dallas- OL, RB, DE (Ekuban)
Seattle-DL, LB (Godfrey)

They move in front of a cluster of their need positions.

My take on it is that they have taken the offer off of the table for Ian Gold to return and have resolved to take a linebacker (DJ Williams).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom