Merged: Denver swaps with Cincy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Denver swaps with Cincy

Gold missed 11 games last year and there wasn't much drop off in play from his WLB. LB in the 1st is almost a luxury pick for them, it's not a huge need. The starting group is adequate, but it's not so bad that they take a LB in the 1st. They need a DT that can get to the QB and they need a big WR who can fill McCaffrey's role.

They're replacing Berry with a D-End who had 8.5 sacks as a backup last year in Heyward, plus they're got two rookies coming off of IR. One is Clint Mitchell who most draft pubs put as a first day pick this year if he'd stayed in school. Some like PFW even said he could have possibly gone in the 1st this year if he'd stayed.

They also lost Keith Burns at the LB position.

Luther Ellis should provide some depth at the DT position and Raylee Johnson and Marco Coleman on the DE.

They picked up Cornell Green at the tackle position.

Those free agent signings along with Garrison Hearst at the RB position lead me to point to the two Linebackers lost in free agency.

Take a look at the depth chart. Virtually naked at the LB position.

BTW, everybody knows Dave W. can't pass up a talented linebacker. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Burns should have never been on the team last year. Shanahan usually only keeps 6 LBs and he kept Keith as #7 b/c he was the captain of a woeful special teams unit. He only got in the game as LB when it was out of reach either way. Denver doesn't lose anything at the actual the LB position by him leaving.

I agree with you on Coleman and Johnson at DE, simply b/c they've got 3 young unproven guys. The vets should hopefully provide some semblance of a rotation if the other guys aren't players. That's why I doubt they go D-End on the first day.

Elliss is a wildcard since he's been hurt, but even with him, Denver still needs a DT that can into the backfield. They just can't rely on him at this point.

I think this is more a spring board to move into the top 10 for a WR. It's alot more palatable for teams that high to trade down to #17 instead of #24. If they don't go that high, than just a few spots for Reggie Williams.

Originally posted by ZOD
Take a look at the depth chart. Virtually naked at the LB position.

I know what it looks like. Last year's 2nd, Terry Pierce, isn't on there since he was put on IR midseason for a ripped pec. He's healthy again. They've got 3 decent young guys around Wilson in Pierce, Spragan and Sykes. Mobley still wants to try to play too. I think they'll go LB as earlier as their own 2nd round pick, just not with anything higher since their starters aren't horrible.

Wow, according ot the FoxSports mock draft, they have the Broncos moving up 7 spots to draft...

OLB Karlos Dansby.

That would be an excellent pick for them. I'm starting to think that Starks, Vilma, Robinson, Dansby, and Andrews might not be there at #20.

The real play-makers on the field won't be held back of their combine numbers on draft day it seems.

I don't know about what Miami fans think before the draft each year, but I get a kick out of uniformed "experts" and who they think the Broncos are going to draft each year. They never come close to who Shanahan is looking at. The Fox mocks come close to being the worst. Dansby at #17? He might be around into the 2nd.

i predict Broncos not drafting a RB. any half decent RB (which they have a bunch) can get 1k+ yds in their system. wouldnt surprise me if they go after Andrews.

If it's for a RB, Denver doesn't do this trade 2 weeks in advance. They do it on draft day when the Bengals are on the clock. It tips their hand to Dal and NE and allows the other two to move ahead of Denver if they're targeting a RB too.

Originally posted by cportis26
Burns should have never been on the team last year. Shanahan usually only keeps 6 LBs and he kept Keith as #7 b/c he was the captain of a woeful special teams unit. He only got in the game as LB when it was out of reach either way. Denver doesn't lose anything at the actual the LB position by him leaving.

What does the contract situation look like for the starting linebackers?

All to often we fall into the "draft trap" where we as fans place to much value on rookies in the coming year. It's not about what they can do for you in the coming year.

On the "dropoff" thing you were refering too....

Some Dolfans would suggest that Tommy Hendricks production in the Titans game represented not much of a drop off from the production of Zach Thomas. It's just not so.

And the Dolphins let him go CHEAP! Hendricks thinks he's going to start in Jacksonville.

Holy smoke man!

I was just reading the Biography on Spragan and Sykes.

Don't tell me you think Shanahan is placing the future on these guys.....

Is that all they have? If so, I'm taking wagers on the 17th pick in the draft. :D

GODDAMN you are in denial man!

Ian Gold 39 total tackles in 5 games (34 unassisted).
John Mobley 46 tackles in 7 games (32 unassisted)

Spragan 76 in 16 games (56 unassisted)
Sykes 64 tackles in 16 games (49 unassisted)

Ian Gold 6 passes defended in 5 games
John Mobley 3 passes defended in 7 games

Spragan 6 passes defended in 16 games
Sykes 0 passes defended in 16 games

Ian Gold 2 interceptions in 5 games
John Mobley 0 interceptions in 7 games

Spragan 0 interceptions in 16 games
Sykes 0 interceptions in 16 games

NO DROP OFF?

Ian Gold 40th overall selection in the 2000 draft

Al Wilson 31st overall selection in the 1999 draft

John Mobley 15th overall selection in the 1996 draft

I think it's safe to say Denver will be drafting a linebacker with the 17th pick......

I've beaten this one to death. :lol: MOVE IT!

Denial?

Denver doesn't play their backup LBs during the game unless someone comes out for an injury, and neither saw action at LB until Gold and Mobley got hurt. So you're incorrectly interpreting the stats by saying Sykes' and Spragan's tackle totals came in 16 games.

Sykes' totals came over 10 games. Spragan's came over 11 games. That works out to 6.4 and 6.9 tpg. Gold's was a little under 8 and Mobley's was around 6.5.

Like I said not much dropoff. Except for Gold's gift pick that Kitna shot-putted to him in the opening game, none of the 4 really made any plays, but they were all solid.

Originally posted by cportis26
If it's for a RB, Denver doesn't do this trade 2 weeks in advance. They do it on draft day when the Bengals are on the clock. It tips their hand to Dal and NE and allows the other two to move ahead of Denver if they're targeting a RB too.

I see your Broncos going RB, but I really think it's going to be a draft day trade for #20 with us. Wouldn't you love to get rid of those worthless 2nd rounders? ;)

Originally posted by saves
ya o'neil got moved to wide reciever last year and was....im not sure how to put it...worthless

Thats putting it nicely. :lol:

Denver got away with one here, especially since they got Champ Bailey on the team now, so O'Neil was even more worthless to them this year.

They moved up 7 spots in the first for a late 4th round pick and a guy that was likely going to be a June 1st casualty. The rat is crazy, like a fox.

Back
Top Bottom