MERGED: Dolphins Draft Anthony Alabi 162nd | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphins Draft Anthony Alabi 162nd

Scouts Grade: 55

Strengths: Has adequate height and bulk. Has a strong lower body and a powerful base. Can anchor versus the bull rush. Once he locks on in pass pro he will do a good job of sustaining. His hand-placement is above average and he has long arms and big hands to sustain with. He is a powerful run blocker. Doesn't overwhelm most defenders with size but he does dive through his blocks and shows the ability to push the pile. He's at his best in the short area. He plays with good tenacity and toughness. Will finish defenders off when he is in position to do so.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal NFL measurables. Has just dent bulk. Has good lower body strength but below average upper body strength. Lacks ideal athletic ability and speed. Does not get out of his stance quickly enough and will have trouble versus speed rushers in the NFL. He is a bit stiff in pass pro and is susceptible to the quick double-move. He will be too late getting in position as a downfield run blocker and has a tendency to lunge when trying to hit the moving target.

Overall: Alabi attended the US Naval Academy from June-to-November of 1999. He walked on at TCU in 2000 and redshirted that season. He missed two games because of a concussion in 2001 but saw a good amount of time at left tackle in the other 10 games. Alabi became a fulltime starter in 2002 and remained a fulltime starter throughout his final three seasons at TCU (2002-'04). He was named to the first-team All-Conference USA team in 2003 and 2004. He also played in the Villages Gridiron Classic. Alabi has adequate but not great height, strength and athletic ability. He was a dominating player at the mid-major collegiate level and he showed very good leadership, toughness and durability throughout. The problem, however, is that Alabi lacks ideal "measurables" to translate that production to the NFL level. In our opinion, Alabi is a proven enough commodity to use a mid-to-late round draft pick on but anything higher than the fifth round would be reaching.

ANALYSIS
Positives:Has a tall frame with good chest thickness, broad shoulders, muscular arms, wide hips, good bubble and thick legs … Power blocker with impressive size and bulk … Well-proportioned athlete who generates a sudden surge off the snap … Rolls his hips on contact and has that "mauler" mentality to explode into defenders … Shows outstanding foot work and second-level quickness to position properly and sustain his blocks in pass protection … Has a good kick slide to get back and seal off the outside and is most effective when taking on defenders right in front of him … Shows good cover-up ability, positioning himself for in-line blocking … Takes proper angles moving out to neutralize linebackers in the open field … Has long arms necessary for pass protection … Shows enough awareness and lateral movement in pass protection to mirror and pick up stunts well … His trap blocking skills might be better suited to play offensive guard … Has shown marked improvement in using his leg strength to anchor more firmly against the bull rush … When he brings his hands up quickly off the snap, he is capable of moving the pile.
Negatives:Has the ideal size for the position, but needs to be more physical and aggressive … Shows good overall play strength, but has stiffness in his hips that make him unable to bend his knees in order to establish good technique and leverage positioning … Plays on his toes a lot, causing problems maintaining balance and struggles to recover when beaten by the outside rush … Needs to show better hand usage as he will tend to make passive punches towards his man with little effect, spending more time catching defenders, and this leads to him struggling to lock out and sustain blocks … Lacks the agility to slide out on sweeps, crossing his feet and keeping a narrow leg base to make defenders knock him off stride … Little too slow-footed when he has to run and change directions out in space … Despite his weight-room strength, he does not generate enough pop and punch with his hands and also fails to recoil consistently … More of a catch-and-steer drive blocker than a mauler and is susceptible to the double move.

I like this!!

Yeah, we're dumb. This is a guy we should have known they would draft here. You guys wanted us to show Houck some love, and we just did, because this is Houck's guy right here.

wtf!!!!! F*CK!!!!!!!! that was a horrible, dumb selection. other picks were great, or ok, or questionable at best, bust f'n alabi? who??? over britt or munoz or anyone else? you can say this pick makes sense after passing over on khalif barnes. IF you pass on barnes it means you arent looking for oline help obviously, there meaning you wont go oline til late, then this sh*t happens? wow, wasted pick IMO, couldve had wilkerson or butler or everyones instant hard-on ernest shazor. wow, words cannot explain my disappointment....

Dont like that pick at all. 1st bad one in the draft..Thats O.K

is there a reason we drafted Anthony Alabi over Wesley Britt??? Is there a reason we drafted an LT instead of a Center??? Is there a reason we didnt draft Shazor, Hawthorne, Wilkerson? Right now, Hawthorne is a STEAL. I hope we trade up and get another pick, and get ourselves a future DT. Hawthorne right now is a 2nd round talent STILL available in the 5th round...yet we chose some no-name Left Tackle from TCU....sure he is gigantic, but Wesley Britt woulda been better.

From NFL Draft Countdown:
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Very strong both on the field and in the weight room...Has great size and a massive frame...Has long arms...Explosive...Also a hard worker.
Weaknesses: Not a great natural athlete...Needs to work on refining his game and mastering the nuances of the position...Not great in space...An overachiever.
Notes: Transferred from Navy...Has some tools and his size and long arms alone should earn him a long, hard look from most team.

Sounds like a good second day prospect to me. He should hopefully add some depth to our offensive line. I like this pick a lot.

Anthony Alabi:

500 lbs bench press
810 lbs squat
475 lbs power clean
36 3/4 inch arm length

His peripherals are outstanding.

SkapePhin said:
Got info on him? I believe I have heard his name before..

sure we all have......its when you do something wrong and the Police ask you where u were at a certain time.....thats your ALABI.....

for example.....OJ had an alabi

new bob said:
wtf!!!!! F*CK!!!!!!!! that was a horrible, dumb selection. other picks were great, or ok, or questionable at best, bust f'n alabi? who??? over britt or munoz or anyone else? you can say this pick makes sense after passing over on khalif barnes. IF you pass on barnes it means you arent looking for oline help obviously, there meaning you wont go oline til late, then this sh*t happens? wow, wasted pick IMO, couldve had wilkerson or butler or everyones instant hard-on ernest shazor. wow, words cannot explain my disappointment....

If you never heard of him, isnt a bit foolish to pass judgement on the selection? :rolleyes: :confused:

I'm confused about this pick. I think we should've went for Wesley Britt or Ben Wilkerson if we were going offensive line. From I'm reading about thsi guy though, he sounds like a great project for Houck... 500 lb bench press and a 810lb squat!!

Back
Top Bottom