MERGED: Dolphins Draft Anthony Alabi 162nd | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphins Draft Anthony Alabi 162nd

Boomer said:
Hugely athletic LT with great power. Weight room legend. HOUCK HAS BEEN SCOUTING HIM PERSONALY at THE TCU WORKOUT THEN MET HIM FOR LUNCH RECENTLY. Had a great junior year.

I met his brother in law on Xbox live he told me the fins really liked him and houck was goin over for lunch that evening

I like this pick as a developmental type, hopefully Houck can turn him into something with some work. I like this one more than the Daniels pick, esp. if Daniels plays CB. I can see why some question the pick not ever hearing of him but there is a reason that the big name guys who are still available this late were not drafted earlier.

new bob said:
i dont have a problem with him being taken over britt, thats fine......but if you pass over someone like khalif barnes in the 2nd, even if its for the BPa, you somewhat have to be saying, "our problems arent on Oline, so well go BPA" and that was fine, we picked up a 1st rd talent in roth. but then, when you get to the 5th and you face a glaring need at safety which has still yet to have been addressed, you should pick one. there were three quality safeties staring us in the face, and we passed over each of them. there is a 2nd round talent in hawthorne, and we pass over him. THe only thing i can assume is that a)wilkersons injury was far worse than any of us thought, b) that alabi mustve given houck and saban a lot to salivate over for some reason over the combine and workouts, and c) that well have travares tillman or yeremiah bell starting at FS next year, and that saban is comfortable with that. i think skipping over butler, rosegreen and shazor was a monumental mistake.....

Laides and gents, we have someone who has seen Saban's draft board and knows who we had stacked above one another.

ItalianDolFan said:
Houck Houck Houck....u guys talk about Hudson Houck like he is GOD. He's just an offensive line coach, he isnt the greatest coach to walk the face of the Earth. He doesnt turn weaklings into monsters. He's just an offensive line coach...he's old too. He isnt God, geez. You think our offensive line can change dramatically just because of one old fart coach? We still have the same guys competing. :confused:

(im gonna get bashed for this :( )

The last line is about the only point I can agree with! :lol: I won't bash you but I will express why I disagree.

Houck is not perfect and no one is saying he is. But, along with Alex Webster from Denver, he is generally considered one of the top two OL coaches in the league over the past 15 years. He doesn't garner coordinator pay for nothing.

That said, who should we trust more on a 5th round O-lineman? Some kid who watches too much football on Saturday afternoons? Or this guy who has been coaching and has been at the top of the coaching level the past 20 + years?

I can almost guarantee you that if you sat in the room with Houck and Saban (or anyone else on this board), and listened to them talk about the player and why they are picking him, you'd walk out convinced, or, at the least, you'd have no way to genuinely contradict their pick.

KB21 said:
What NFL Experts? PFW has Alabi as the 106th best player in the draft. Wesley Britt is 149th. Michael Munoz is 198th.

Ahhh but KB he is not a known name therefore he must not have as much pro potential and less question marks than the usual suspects ( no ill intent to them of course )

At SOME point don't you trust the leaders you have selected? and asked to run the organization? I love this draft , but even if I had personal reservations I could not fathom to suggest that Nick Saban et all don't know MUCH MORE on this process than information gatherers that make ( although pretty darn good ones these days ) lists for fans to view for free......

keithjackson said:
i LOVE this pick. ever since the first time i read about this guy and how houck wanted him ive been hoping we would draft him. go find the highlight video on him, he does a good job and looks likes he shares that fiery play the other draft picks do. and those arms! if houck can coach a 7th rounder to start, then he can definitely do the same for alabi. and i think LT was a bigger need than C.

this is the pick that makes me give saban's draft an A instead of a B+.

Do you recall where you read about Houck looking at him? I'd appreciate the link if you can remember.

I like the pick b/c of his size and strength. I think he'll be a decent player. He has relatively long arms compared to several others - 36 3/4 inches. I think Barron is one of the few OL's in the draft that has longer arms.

ItalianDolFan said:
Houck Houck Houck....u guys talk about Hudson Houck like he is GOD. He's just an offensive line coach, he isnt the greatest coach to walk the face of the Earth. He doesnt turn weaklings into monsters. He's just an offensive line coach...he's old too. He isnt God, geez. You think our offensive line can change dramatically just because of one old fart coach? We still have the same guys competing. :confused:

I question your footbal knowledge..

we can forget about Hawthorne....stupid Raiders!

I wonder who we might pick in the 7th. I believe if Wilkerson or Shazor is still there, they are our best bet. I mean, look at our Centers....thats just it, they are nothing worth looking at.

Da 'Fins said:
The last line is about the only point I can agree with! :lol: I won't bash you but I will express why I disagree.

Houck is not perfect and no one is saying he is. But, along with Alex Webster from Denver, he is generally considered one of the top two OL coaches in the league over the past 15 years. He doesn't garner coordinator pay for nothing.

That said, who should we trust more on a 5th round O-lineman? Some kid who watches too much football on Saturday afternoons? Or this guy who has been coaching and has been at the top of the coaching level the past 20 + years?

I can almost guarantee you that if you sat in the room with Houck and Saban (or anyone else on this board), and listened to them talk about the player and why they are picking him, you'd walk out convinced, or, at the least, you'd have no way to genuinely contradict their pick.

Somehow I also feel they are convinced they select whom they feel is the best long term addition to this franchise , maybe just a musing on my part , but I do think they don't purposedly draft an inferior prospect.

ItalianDolFan said:

BLASPHEMER!!!!! Hud Houck is a god among OL coaches. He's forgot more about playing the OL, than this entire board will ever know. He may not be the best 'coach' to walk the earth, but he well could be the best 'OL coach' to walk the earth. How dare you refer to him so disrespectfully with a term like "old fart coach". With age comes wisdom, grasshopper.
You need to mention this inpropriety on your part, for the priest to bless you at your next confession.

new bob said:
i dont have a problem with him being taken over britt, thats fine......but if you pass over someone like khalif barnes in the 2nd, even if its for the BPa, you somewhat have to be saying, "our problems arent on Oline, so well go BPA" and that was fine, we picked up a 1st rd talent in roth. but then, when you get to the 5th and you face a glaring need at safety which has still yet to have been addressed, you should pick one. there were three quality safeties staring us in the face, and we passed over each of them......

HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SAID... TRAVIS DANIELS IS GOING TO BE CONVERTED INTO A SAFTEY!! WE DONT NEED ONE NOW!

He played both CB and S in college and is better suited for S in the NFL. We now need OL and WR. We got a beast in Alabi that Houck obviously liked alot and felt he can turn this guy into an animal. now i think we either go with a C or a WR in round 7.

I love these people that say, we should take so and so IF "he's" still there, if "he's" still there we should get so and so, well ya know, if "HE'S" still there, maybe there is a GOOD reason "HE'S" still there.

I think I see where Houck is going with this pic. Alabi is a physical freak of nature and has the potential to be great. The other guys could only hope to overachieve to be an average player.

KB21 said:
Anthony Alabi:

500 lbs bench press
810 lbs squat
475 lbs power clean
36 3/4 inch arm length

His peripherals are outstanding.

Where are you guys getting this info? From what i read on Alabi's bio's is that he has a WEAK upper body. 500 lb Bench press is far from weak.

why is Tennessee choosing so many Wide Receivers? Theyve chosen like 3-4 already.

Whats done is done....move onto 7th round. I am now hoping for Ben Wilkerson in the 7th. My reasons:

Yeremiah Bell is a young FS to work with, so Shazor may not be needed. I guess we may wait until next year for a QB, or Brees, or make a trade for Tim Rattay. We have RBs. We have a YOUNG LT, YOUNG LG (Carey), YOUNG RG (Hadnot) and McDougle who nobody messes with. Right now we need a YOUNG Center...BEN WILKERSON:) ...guess where Ben Wilkerson went to school? LSU...sure he is injured, but so is Channing Crowder.

When i think Channing Crowder, i think New England Clam Chowder :D

Back
Top Bottom