Merged: Dolphins Players Trying To Recruit McNair/ No Mcnair!! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Players Trying To Recruit McNair/ No Mcnair!!

Nublar7 said:
I wouldn't mind having McNair here, IF we can't get Brees or Culpepper. If we can't land one of those guys getting McNair and then drafting a QB early may be one of the best moves we could do. However, Brees first, then Culpepper, and then McNair.

i agree about brees, but i don't know about culpeper, me thinks he's a bit overrated. if we can't get brees, mcnair and a youngster would be the best option imo.

spazzolian said:
No no no.... this is bad. I DO NOT WANT STEVE MCNAIR here in Miami. He's old. He's broken. He can't move. If you look at him play the last two years it's like flash backs of Marino towards the end. AND I LOVE DAN MARINO, but I have no allegiance to Mcnair. NONE. It would be better to have Gus Gus back than Steve. I'm all for Brees or maybe even Daunte Culpepper, drafting a new guy and keeping Gus for another year, but I would really pass on Mcnair.

Why do people start a thread with a title that indicates something other than what you are saying ?? Please...the title "No McNair" indicates that he is not going to be available to us...when what you are actually saying is that you don't want McNair...I have no problem with your not wanting McNair, just the way you titled it...please respect the rest of us who might be interested in getting McNair or who might not be interested in reading a post that starts with "I don't want McNair here"....

There is no way the Dolphins will land Brees! San Diego knows that they have the upper hand and will dangle him on the wire until it's signing time. McNair would be a great option, especially after we draft a young (not Vince) quarterback in this year's draft. Go "Air" McNair.

spazzolian said:
Let start off by saying that I am not a Gus Frerotte fan. But Steve Mcnair did not "signifigantly out perform Gus last year." BUT Lets look at Numbers as it pertains to Frerotte V. McNair.
Gus thew for 2996 yards on 497 passes
Steve 3161 yards on 476 passes

Gus had 18 td, on 13 ints, Mcnair 16 v 11 ints. They are like the same guy. Yes Mcnairs QB rating was better, but in this case, if I had to chose between Getting Mcnair for a year or two, and groom some college kid in the mean time, and doing the same thing with Gus Frerotte, i would just stick with Frerotte.

Now about Frerotten...While the stats may be similar, Gus is what he is...a proven, backup QB and nothing more. McNair is a proven NFL starting QB. He has had injury issues, but has played well, even with his injuries. He is not broken...He is two years younger than Gus...If you look at their careers, you can't possibly want Frerotte over McNair. The only advantage is that Gus might be less likely to be injured during the course of a year because he hasn't played very much in his 13 years...On the other hand, playing all last season and into this season, may make his body break down quicker (in the course of another season) than McNairs' whose body is more used to the beating that the QB position normally takes.

The stats lie in some cases and you have to remember that Gus' play was a hinderance to our offense whereas McNairs stats were in spite of a poor offense around him...

NHDOLFAN said:
There is no way the Dolphins will land Brees! San Diego knows that they have the upper hand and will dangle him on the wire until it's signing time. McNair would be a great option, especially after we draft a young (not Vince) quarterback in this year's draft. Go "Air" McNair.

Well, that's it!

John Clayton, Peter King, Alex Marvez, and a bunch of other analysts are wrong!

There is no way we are getting Brees. Let's just give it up!:rolleyes2

Just to put it in perspective:

There is a greater upgrade in rating from Frerotte to McNair than there is from Bledsoe to Tom Brady.

Gus = bad

McNair = decent

Brady = great

If we can go from bad to decent while we wait for the rookie to develop... that is a huge upgrade. It means going from a QB that is holding us back to a QB that, at worst, isn't. Still need to step up to QB that makes us better... but if don't have that option... take the step to decent.

yeah im not really for mcnair, he would do the same thing frerotte would for more money

FinsAreLife said:
yeah im not really for mcnair, he would do the same thing frerotte would for more money

What makes you think that? Any support?

McNair has had ONE season with a rating as bad as Frerotte's career AVERAGE. And that was the first year he started full time.

Nublar7 said:
I wouldn't mind having McNair here, IF we can't get Brees or Culpepper. If we can't land one of those guys getting McNair and then drafting a QB early may be one of the best moves we could do. However, Brees first, then Culpepper, and then McNair.

Exactly that.

PhinFan84 said:
I hate mcnair he is old and injury proned.....we need a new young gun........GOD smartin up people

1. That's hilarious.

2. He is younger than Gus.

3. He has played at least 14 games and thrown at least 400 passes in five out of the last six years. Only last year's injury interrupted that. An injury unlikely to be repeated.

4. The whole of getting McNair is to have him groom a young gun. McNair is goor for probably two more solid years. Perfect time to develop a rookie.

Don't Bring the Old Man here please, I thought we were trying to build for the future. I rather see us draft, a young QB and groom him in 1 or 2 years. This will be a mistake bringing this guy here, yeah a mistake!!!

nopony said:
How do you look at those numbers and think they are the same guy?

McNair threw for a 150 more yards on 21 fewer attempts? That's a big difference right there. Think about it... you get 150 free yards PLUS 21 free carries by Ronnie or Ricky? That's enough to change games right there.

He completed almost of full TEN PERCENT of his passes more than Frerotte.

Why on earth would you stick with Frerotte? I mean, he's terrible. McNair is not terrible. I don't see how that is a hard choice at all.

Not to mention that Frerotte has never been the QB McNair has. At 33 years of age, the comparison to Marino was very weak and off-base. He's only a few seasons removed from greatness and still young enough to have a few very good years.

Don't Bring the Old Man here please, I thought we were trying to build for the future. I rather see us draft, a young QB and groom him in 1 or 2 years. This will be a mistake bringing this guy here, yeah a mistake!!!

FinsAreLife said:

You can't just look at one year and say he's not great...Tenn has been a contender for years (until the last two, one of those years w/o McNair for most of it) and didn't get mediocre until they had to purge the roster due to cap issues. They have had a horrible OL the last two years, and it was only average for several prior to that...McNair, is the anti-Gus...a proven veteran STARTER who is aging, not a proven veteran BACKUP who is aging...

At any rate, if McNair is brought here or Gus stays as the starter, it'll mean that Saban has a young gun on the bench learning for a year for his chance to start..He won't go into the season with Gus, Sage and Lemon again...

vt_dolfan said:
Yikes....

Is that really the case....if it is.....Id really have second thoughts on Bree's. All I can say about that article is WOW!!!

There is virtually no similiarity between what a pitcher does with his throws and what a quarterback does with his throws.

Seriously, the only thing they have in common is the word throw.

Pitching at the ML level requires freakish repetition, using the same motion to the millimeter. It is incredibly hard on the arm and shoulder. It's gotten so bad that MOST pitchers develop arm problems.

How many quarterbacks do you know of that hurt their arm just throwing?

Back
Top Bottom