Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Royals Cut - Matt Turk is new Miami Punter

According to the Herald, Turk will be the new punter and Royals will get the shank, I mean the boot, today.

I wonder if they went with Turk instead of Stemke because of his relationship to Mare? I would rather of seen a young leg in there to develop but that might require Armstrong to teach and well....... Still, Royals had to go.

Miami-Herald link:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6887090.htm

Turk averaged 41.0 yards per punt last season with the New York Jets, tying the career low he set in 2001 with the Dolphins. He was released in the offseason by the Jets.

Turk's net average dropped to a career-low 34.9 yards, a decline of nearly three yards from the previous season. He also had a career-low 13 punts land inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

Why do I feel like this is essentially a move...sideways?

Did the coaching staff punt on making Mare accept a non-punter holder?

Do we have something against punters who kick the ball far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good riddance to Royals. I would like to have seen Stemke get the job instead of Turk. Hopefully he's got some gas left.

Looking at Turks numbers doesn't exactly make me feel good.

I wonder why they didn't keep Stemke. That kid was booming them.

They must have their reasons.

You've made my day.

But Turk isn't a big improvement over Royals. It's again a case of going for a veteran kicker instead of a younger, stronger leg.

I remember comments in the pre=season about the coaches being uncomfortable with Stemke's inconsistancy. I think the holder issue is a big deal however, and a driving factor in getting Turk back.

Not sure if it will change anything on the punt side, however.

Great news. Turk still has a leg and kick the hell out of the ball.

Stemke has a strong leg but the Fins are a directional punting team and Stemke wasn't hitting the the ball to the spots that the coaches wanted consistantly enough. And that's more important to this coaching staff than him booming a 50 yarder and out kicking the coverage. It's easy for us fans to see one guy kicking further than another and complain that he should have the job but in this case the Fins have a certain philosphy and Stemke doesn't quite fit in it

Royals never could boom the ball his whole career. At least Turk can get away some big bombs; and his short ones won't be any worse than Royals has been this year.

Hopefully he worked hard in the off-season and will be able to show some improvement.

My question is, why don't we make the back up QB be our holder? This would be an advantage in several areas. One; we can bring in whoever we want for punting duties. Two; when we want to go for a fake field goal, we have a guy who can actually throw the ball in there.

Seems stupid to have the punter be the holder, because punters can get injured (running into the kicker, on coverage...ect ect. ) meanwhile the back up QB sits on his butt all game. Usually.

This is not a huge upgrade, but definitely a good move.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
This is not a huge upgrade, but definitely a good move.

You're right, on paper its not that big a move. BUT in the locker room I think this could be huge, in a couple ways...

1.) It shows the team that the coaching staff is not willing to let his team be hurt by Royals continued sub par play.

2.) The defense should greatly appreciate this move because they have got to be tired of defending the short field. You think they don't all know that Royals can't kick over 25 yards when it really counts?

I LOVE this move. I hope to hell it pays off..

Me punting for the phins instead of royals is an improvement, hell, even if i had no movement in my legs i couldve gotten the ball farther than royals....he sucked....thank god royals is gone...

o glorious day :)

Back
Top Bottom