Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed

Whoops sorry I didn't see this thread already posted.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
What is there to be happy about? He isn't really an improvement over Royals, and he was with the Jets by choice last year. He is greedy, and he doesn't deserve to play for the Dolphins. There are a bunch of good punters available, we signed the wrong one.

I gotta agree with you there blizz. Turk was replaced by Royals and now he's replacing Royals. What is the upgrade in that. You see the Bills punter? Now that's a punter. I think Turk is just Mark Royals under a different name. Why not get a young punter? I wouldn't have minded keeping Stemke (sp?). Maybe it's time to draft a punter, i don't know.

clear.gif

I'm with iceblizzard on this one....happy to see the Dolphins trying to improve....indifferent at seeing Royals replaced by Turk....whoopee, they both suck...... You know it was all about Turk's experience holding for Mare.... Let's hope that at least Mare gets it back on track because I doubt Turk is going to light the punting world on fire. If this isn't a lateral move, it is barely a slight incline. :(

I don't see what's so bad about Turk.I think it's a positive move myself.(Unless you liked the shanked punts.:rolleyes: )

Originally posted by ScrappyDew
I don't see what's so bad about Turk.I think it's a positive move myself.(Unless you liked the shanked punts.:rolleyes: )

Didn't you see the part where I wrote "they both suck" ? ;)

Turk's 2002 avg.....41.4 gross....34.9 net
Royal's 2002 avg.....40.2 gross....34.5 net

Royal's 2003 avg.....40.2 gross......36.3 net

What's to be excited about?:(

Well, that is a breath of fresh air for a monday after work. Royals needed to go last year. While, Turk isn't too much better than the incumbant, I think he is clearly better, and the coachign staff seems to think the same way. Perosnally, I don't like Turk but I suppose he is a necessary evil to rid ourselves of Mark Royals.

Even if Turk improves out punting average by five yards, it will be a vast improvement. Good to see the front office not complacent with what is obviously a weak spot. It goes to show that not all spots are a lock (Jamar Fletcher this means you).

I expect Turk to be better not by outdistancing Royals in punts, but in not choking when a decent kick is needed. Turk was a clutch player when it came to delivering at crunch time.

I just think Turk has a stronger leg than Royals. When we are backed up and need a punt, I'd take Turk over Royals.

Royals and numbers are not the only answer, the fact remains royals would do well one week and do very poorly the next, that's not consistency and thus, no confidence can be placed upon that player. I feel the players know this and when your teammates have lost confidence in you, well, you've gotta go.

Turk is no world beater (think maybe a reason NOONE else signed him?), but he's gonna be more consistent than Royals. He was only signed for one year so expect either a late pick used on a punter, or a priority UFA to be brought in next year.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
I wonder if they went with Turk instead of Stemke because of his relationship to Mare? I would rather of seen a young leg in there to develop but that might require Armstrong to teach and well....... Still, Royals had to go.

I liked Stemke too, but anything over Royals will do.

Hats off to Wanny for finally making an example out of someone who is underachieving!

:clap:

Bye bye Royals!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this pretty much had to happen in a way because it was becoming a distraction to the rest of the team. Seriously, whenever the Phins were playing at home Royals was getting booed by the crowds, whether it was right or wrong. Even when he hit a good punt the cheers were mocking.

Thats a distraction for the rest of the team. The Turk move comes as no surprise to me...he has held for Olindo before and Olindo was very upset when he was leaving. One reason Turk's net average was always low in Miami is because we asked him to punt it way higher than normal teams do. But if we're backed into an endzone, I definitely trust Turk to boom a 50+ yarder to help the team out. Royals I merely trust to put the guy on our own 30 yard line, already in field goal range.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think this pretty much had to happen in a way because it was becoming a distraction to the rest of the team. Seriously, whenever the Phins were playing at home Royals was getting booed by the crowds, whether it was right or wrong. Even when he hit a good punt the cheers were mocking.

Thats a distraction for the rest of the team. The Turk move comes as no surprise to me...he has held for Olindo before and Olindo was very upset when he was leaving. One reason Turk's net average was always low in Miami is because we asked him to punt it way higher than normal teams do. But if we're backed into an endzone, I definitely trust Turk to boom a 50+ yarder to help the team out. Royals I merely trust to put the guy on our own 30 yard line, already in field goal range.

I literally Fell out of my Chair when i heard the news that Royals was cut:D

I agree with you CK

Bye Bye Royals

I was flickin through the channels and stopped on ESPN and saw that Miami released Mark Royals and signed Turk to a 1year contract. Thank god that Royals is gone and Turk is back.

Back
Top Bottom