Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Swap Punters - Royals Cut/Turk Signed

Was just trying to get Feagles from you - for nothing!

The Dolphins are expected to release punter Mark Royals today and replace him with veteran Matt Turk, the man Royals replaced before the 2002 season.

Two sources confirmed Turk arrived in South Florida on Sunday night after agreeing to terms. Turk worked out for the Dolphins on Thursday after Royals struggled against Buffalo on Sept. 21.

It was the second game in which Royals had trouble.

I read the article and I'm quite concerned.

I understand that Royals has not been performing the greatest, but Turk has not been that outstanding either in the last year. Is it really smart to release our starting punter in the middle of the season (even though he's had some shanks) and replace him with another punter who tied his lowest career performace last year with the Jets??

Personally I didn't want Royals to be starting punter anymore either.. but to replace him with someone else who's been struggling too, even though he's played with Mare before? At this time of the season, it doesn't sound smart to me.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

I understand that Royals has not been performing the greatest, but Turk has not been that outstanding either in the last year. Is it really smart to release our starting punter in the middle of the season (even though he's had some shanks) and replace him with another punter who tied his lowest career performace last year with the Jets??

Personally I didn't want Royals to be starting punter anymore either.. but to replace him with someone else who's been struggling too, even though he's played with Mare before? At this time of the season, it doesn't sound smart to me.
Good point, but it's not like there are 3-4 Reggie Roby's sitting around waiting for the phone to ring 4 weeks into the season...

I think this a decent move. Turk played better here than after he left... maybe he'll perform well again. He knows the system and the things he'll need to do. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where I'll look back and say "we were clearly better off with Royals."

It does show that the staff is willing to shake some trees, if things aren't working.

If I was Charlie Rogers, I'd start producing this week.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

You have to bear in mind that all we can go by is stats. Miami worked him out and talked to him. Maybe he was injured last year or had some other difficulty. They simply have more info.

From what we know, I see it as a fairly low risk move. You bring in a punter who is likely to be at least a slight upgrade and the guy is already familiar with Mare so the transition there should be smooth.

I personally think this was a great move by the coaching staff. As someone said earlier, it is showing the team they will not stand for poor play. And more-over i believe Turk to be an upgrade over Royals. Royals was definitely the weakest link, even though im not a fan to boo any of my teams players, i still did not think he belong on this team.

And maybe its just me but has anyone else noticed that ever since Royals has been Mare's holder that Mare's been a little off? Last really good year Mare had was with Turk as the holder.. maybe Mare will pick it up now too!

Hasn't Mare's numbers gone down too since Royals came here?

Laces OUT!

What I read was Turk was not punting well in fact his avg was down about four yrds lets hope he is punting well, none the less I'm glad Royals is gone. I hope Dave starts giving the word, if you dont contribute you will be gone...... to anyone!

I'm just happy to se Royals gone... he was EASILY the worst punter in the league.

One MAJOR difference between Turk and Royals... is that while their distance numbers are not much different, Turk has a MAJOR advantage in hang time.

In the Buffalo game... Royals's "good" punts were line-drives. he had to have under 3 seconds hang time on EVERY punt that game. I think we could have done beeter than Turk, but again... I'm just glad Royals is finally gone.

Back
Top Bottom