[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel" | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel"

I hope this is not true, unless we get a good deal.. I really wanted Nnamdi Asomugha I would break the bank for him, hes younger, hes proved he can go man to man and he isn't a freaking patriot...

i think he is 100% a product of his environment and is not worth whatever crazy contract he gets

He is indeed a system player and will likely get overpayed for something he really isn't (that being a shutdown corner) but keep in mind that Parcells used to run the same Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 the Patriots are employing. Essentially, we'd acquire a system player who happens to fit our system. I don't like the prospect of paying Samuel that much money either, but it wouldn't be a daft move per se as he would likely play in the very same system that made him shine. The only problem - apart from the crazy sum he's apparently asking for - I see is that he's not going to be the huge impact player many people seem to anticipate right away. If we do indeed sign Samuel, it's not going to be a short term fix. He'll struggle until Ireland and Parcells have assembled the remaining pieces of their defensive system. But when/if they eventually do, he'd be a heck of a player for Miami.

He is indeed a system player and will likely get overpayed for something he really isn't (that being a shutdown corner) but keep in mind that Parcells used to run the same Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 the Patriots are employing. Essentially, we'd acquire a system player who happens to fit our system. I don't like the prospect of paying Samuel that much money either, but it wouldn't be a daft move per se as he would likely play in the very same system that made him shine. The only problem - apart from the crazy sum he's apparently asking for - I see is that he's not going to be the huge impact player many people seem to anticipate right away. If we do indeed sign Samuel, it's not going to be a short term fix. He'll struggle until Ireland and Parcells have assembled the remaining pieces of their defensive system. But when/if they eventually do, he'd be a heck of a player for Miami.

couldn't agree more. people are expecting us to sign him next year and then he would get like 15 picks and take over games - which isn't the case. once we have the scheme and talent - like NE - he would be great. but do you want to pay a guy $11 million on the chance that we might eventually be good enough to exploit his strengths? i sure as fugg don't.

couldn't agree more. people are expecting us to sign him next year and then he would get like 15 picks and take over games - which isn't the case. once we have the scheme and talent - like NE - he would be great. but do you want to pay a guy $11 million on the chance that we might eventually be good enough to exploit his strengths? i sure as fugg don't.

but you have to start somewhere. of course any player is going to do better with better talent around. but we do have some good pieces on defense. we have to premier pass-rushers, and we msot likely will address LB in the draft.

the biggest issue for us defensively is finding a NT, but I dont think we are bad as we may think.

I think Samuels is a fine player but think its a mistake to pay any free agent 10 million a year. we need to sign a player like Florence to a solid contract and draft a corner at some point in the draft to develop. Decisons like Smiley over Fanaca, Johnson over Moss and Pace over Suggs would all pay off more in the long run. We need to build through the draft and aquire good young free agents as well as solid vets at a solid price.

but you have to start somewhere. of course any player is going to do better with better talent around. but we do have some good pieces on defense. we have to premier pass-rushers, and we msot likely will address LB in the draft.

the biggest issue for us defensively is finding a NT, but I dont think we are bad as we may think.

agreed. i just think we need to start w/the smaller pieces in order to succeed so we don't get ahead of ourselves. we should wait until those smaller pieces are in order before we go nuts with the big ones. we just made the exact same mistake with porter last year. remember? that's all i am saying. :D

agreed. i just think we need to start w/the smaller pieces in order to succeed so we don't get ahead of ourselves. we should wait until those smaller pieces are in order before we go nuts with the big ones. we just made the exact same mistake with porter last year. remember? that's all i am saying. :D

im definitely not one to advocate spending on every big name available. the only FA ive lobbied for really is Samuel. Porter was a mistake, IMO, just because he is too old, and had the knee issue.

but do you want to pay a guy $11 million on the chance that we might eventually be good enough to exploit his strengths?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Let me put it this way: I see where you're coming from and from a fan's point of view, I tend to agree. It does seem like a huge risk. But then again, if you're part of an NFL FO, you kind of have to assume that you'll eventually be good enough. After all, if you are not convinced that you are going to fix this thing, why bother trying in the first place?

thing is, there is a bunch of good CB's in this draft. We have some good talent at CB. I thought we were going to look at the Patriot safety thats in FA?

I think we will be looking for a safety. Just my stinking thoughts. Stupid deal if we go after Samuels IMO. I agree with Boomer. buyer beware all day long!

I wonder how many of you would be saying "I don't want him" if he came from Baltimore or the Eagles for instance. Can any of you honestly say your reasoning for not wanting him doesn't factor in he plays for the rival Pats? You can shout system Corner all you want, he's a playmaker and a huge upgrade from what we have.

HOWEVER, with a position that is predicated so heavily on the guys in front of him (front 7) I say no corner should be making that kind of money, so that's a good reason to pass on him...

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Let me put it this way: I see where you're coming from and from a fan's point of view, I tend to agree. It does seem like a huge risk. But then again, if you're part of an NFL FO, you kind of have to assume that you'll eventually be good enough. After all, if you are not convinced that you are going to fix this thing, why bother trying in the first place?

gotta love the catch 22's. i just wish we would once rebuild in the right way. acquiring big name vets just isn't the correct way to rebuild - ask the raiders. it just seems like right now isn't the right time to pick up a guy like samuel.

these are some of my concerns:
will he be happy for years to come waiting for us to be good?

will he produce like he did in NE given our 'situation'?

do we really need to spend that kind of $ on a CB with w allen on the roster when he have so many more holes?

isn't the draft this year full of quality corners, which doesn't happen very often?

well, at least he is the right age. :D

I wonder how many of you would be saying "I don't want him" if he came from Baltimore or the Eagles for instance. Can any of you honestly say your reasoning for not wanting him doesn't factor in he plays for the rival Pats? You can shout system Corner all you want, he's a playmaker and a huge upgrade from what we have.

HOWEVER, with a position that is predicated so heavily on the guys in front of him (front 7) I say no corner should be making that kind of money, so that's a good reason to pass on him...

it actually makes me want him more b/c he's from NE. with all of our players they have that make us look foolish twice a year, it would be poetic justice if we stole some of their talent. as much as i want tom brady to have his brain devoured by a carnivorous ear worm - i would love to have him on this team. that's how it works.

Apparently we are one of three tems who will be very aggressive in bringing him in, along with the Jets, and the Bengals"

This comes from a very reliable source who works at an organisation that has come through MANY times in the past. What's interesting is that a) Philly haven't been mentioned as there have been rumours about the parameters of a $55 million deal already being in place and that b) Cincy are involved considering they spent heavily on Joseph and Leon Hall, although there are continuing off field concerns over Joseph.

I have done before and will say again, that Samuel comes with a buyer beware label. He isn't an elite NFL CB. He's not in the same class as Nnamdi Asomugha and Marcus Trufant and Rashean Mathis and Ike Taylor and Champ Bailey and Leigh Bodden, etc. He's a good player in a suitable system. I hope that we don't enter a bidding war, especially considering how deep the CB talent pool is in the draft.

yeah, but the draft isn't "deep enough" to provide us with one when we are going to be ready to select one. think about it. If MIA doesn't pick Matt Ryan at #1 then they most likely are going to grab Joe Flacco at #32.

the top five CBs should be gone by #57 definitely and we need LB and OL and NT if we lose out on Shaun Rogers.

then do you want to start a 2nd round rookie at CB? i think that this asante samuel info you got makes sense to me...

You poeple need to think outside of the so-called experts opinion. AS was a GREAT not good CB in the Patriots system. Anyone know where the Pats got their system. I'll give you a hint. It's the guy who is putting his system in Miami right now. Patrick Surtain was a Star for us but has not been heard of since the trade to KC, It's not about getting players that are good in someone elses system. It's about getting players that are great in your system. I'll go ahead and let Bills cat out of the bag for you. We will sign players right now that are proven no matter the cost because we want to win right now. We will draft for the future but Bill, Jeff, and Tony will look to get credit for one of the greatest turn arounds in NFL history. To do so they free'd up around 45 mill to sign players that they know and are successful in their system.

Back
Top Bottom