[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel" | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel"

Although I tend to believe Samuel is a good cornerback, I too agree he is a product of the system. They guy will flourish in a zone scheme, but will struggle when it comes to man to man.

All things considered, you have to ask yourself.....Is he worth all that money???? or in other words.....CAN ASANTE SAMUEL COVER RANDY MOSS ONE ON ONE??? WHAT ABOUT MAN TO MAN???? CAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE MAY HAVE TO DO THIS UPCOMING SEASON TWICE!

safeties were the weakest part of the NE defense.

who is to say that the other players werent so good bc they had a great CB around them?

And they werent even bad. As much as I hate Harrison, he had 3 safties last year alone

when you have two of the best pass-rushers in the league, you need a CB that is going to make plays on the ball.

sanders is average at best. harrison is toast, he was targeted all year.

merriweather is prob better than sanders, but didnt get the playing time.

their safeties were at the very least good. and that's exactly the point - that whole defense was awesome. samuel 100% benefited from the talent and scheme of that defense - which we cannot provide him - yet at least. thank you for proving my point. :up:

their safeties were at the very least good. and that's exactly the point - that whole defense was awesome. samuel 100% benefited from the talent and scheme of that defense - which we cannot provide him - yet at least. thank you for proving my point. :up:

with that logic, jerry rice was just a system player

of course you use a 100% completely subjective argument.

with that logic, jerry rice was just a system player

touche. point taken. but i like the post at the top of the page - do you think AS can cover moss one on one? b/c i don't and here he would have to - twice a year. agree to disagree i guess. :)

I don't know what ne defense you watched but they were far from awesome. Samuel was the star in that defensive back field. Mr. HgH has always been an in the box safety. There's no question Samuel is a top corner in the league. Now, his asking price is another thing.

touche. point taken. but i like the post at the top of the page - do you think AS can cover moss one on one? b/c i don't and here he would have to - twice a year. agree to disagree i guess. :)

i dont think any CB can cover Moss one-on-one. heck, champ bailey got burned by greg jennings last season. a 'lockdown' corner is the most overused term in the NFL. IMO, we bring in Samuel to do exactly what he did in NE, jump routes. Will Allen is great at dropping back into coverage. But the strong point of our defense is our pass-rush, with JT and Porter. So what is the best way to take advantage of a strong pass rush? a CB that can make plays on the ball. And that is something we are seriously lacking. Allen's ball skills are poor, Samuel on the other hand, is great. Just my opinion though.

hmm. dolphins with most cap space. samuel a top FA. dolphins not good for next couple years. samuel young enough to still be in prime in couple years. dolphins awful at CB. samuel very good CB. pats run 3-4. dolphins to run 3-4. dolphins with need at a dozen or so positions. all other premier FAs old (eg, faneca, adams) or poor fits (eg, briggs, turner), and dolphins with only seven draft picks to fill those needs.

so lemme see, our options are to use all this lovely cap room to A) sign a buncha reasonably priced--but marginal--talent in FA to fill the needs we can't in the draft or B) sign an expensive, highly talented player who's young enough to still be a major contributor when we return to contention, then bring in cheap, marginal guys to fill the other needs we can't in the draft.

sounds like pretty much the same thing, except in one scenario you don't get any good players outside of the draft, and in the other, you get a good player outside of the draft. call me crazy but i'm a fan of good players being on the dolphins. you get in trouble signing big-money guys who'll enter their decline phase soon or who are very overrated. samuel may be a touch overrated, but not much, and he definitely ain't declining anytime soon. sign me up for B.

I don't know what ne defense you watched but they were far from awesome. Samuel was the star in that defensive back field. Mr. HgH has always been an in the box safety. There's no question Samuel is a top corner in the league. Now, his asking price is another thing.

see, we don't have to agree. that's the fun with these forums. you think samuel is awesome. i think he is 100% a product of his environment and is not worth whatever crazy contract he gets. if miami had a lot of cap room and was a contender with a GOOD backfield that plays a lot of zone then i would say pull the trigger. but that just isn't the case. sorry.

i dont think any CB can cover Moss one-on-one. heck, champ bailey got burned by greg jennings last season. a 'lockdown' corner is the most overused term in the NFL. IMO, we bring in Samuel to do exactly what he did in NE, jump routes. Will Allen is great at dropping back into coverage. But the strong point of our defense is our pass-rush, with JT and Porter. So what is the best way to take advantage of a strong pass rush? a CB that can make plays on the ball. And that is something we are seriously lacking. Allen's ball skills are poor, Samuel on the other hand, is great. Just my opinion though.

our strength WAS our pass rush. not any more my friend. especially if JT goes. we had 30 sacks last year bro. 30. 2 a game. not good. hopefully that will change.

Asante Samuel would immediately help this defense. With him and Allen, wrs would fear our corners like they did back in the Surtain/Madison days.

His asking price is huge but I don't see a better corner in the draft. Samuel is young and a playmaker, something we've been lacking for years.

If we can spend crazy money on an aging Porter, we should be able to unleash some $s on a young, top 5 corner.

see, we don't have to agree. that's the fun with these forums. you think samuel is awesome. i think he is 100% a product of his environment and is not worth whatever crazy contract he gets. if miami had a lot of cap room and was a contender with a GOOD backfield that plays a lot of zone then i would say pull the trigger. but that just isn't the case. sorry.

Cool, we can definitely agree to disagree. btw, we'll play plenty of zone this season.

Back
Top Bottom