[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Dolphins to "Heavily Pursue Asante Samuel"

it's not that. samuels jumps plays like crazy there b/c he has that scheme and safety help. he would be more of a pure cover corner here, which doesn't suit him. he needs mad talent around him to be successful.

safeties were the weakest part of the NE defense.

who is to say that the other players werent so good bc they had a great CB around them?

On the flip side, there are a lot of people that watch more football than you and me that say buyer beware with Samuel, That he is more a product of the system than people want to believe.

I agree Hall can become a cancer, but I'm not all that sold on spending big bucks on a guy, that maybe just a product of the NE system.

I would rather draft a young CB in the draft than trade a pick away for Hall and spend big bucks on Samuel.

I was speaking more in terms of between the two, Samuel is the better option.

safeties were the weakest part of the NE defense.

who is to say that the other players werent so good bc they had a great CB around them?

harrison and sanders would beg to differ. not to mention that backup they have - some guy named meriweather. they got dope safeties.

I'm definitely in the "Samuel overrated for the money" camp and would also rather draft one of the corners in the draft (and I would have much rather gone after Trufant or Asomugha). But I also won't complain if we get Samuel.

That being said, Boomer (or anyone else) - do you envision any of the top 5 corners in this draft (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins, Cason, Talib) falling to #32? I don't think we have a shot at them unless we trade down (or back up into the first, for that matter, which is doubtful). There are several teams ahead of us looking for corners that are likely to use their first rounder on these guys.

I don't know, I think we have all seen Samuel play, I like his game, he's not Champ Bailey but I have to put him in the elite CB level.

I couldn't have summarized it any better. Samuel went under the radar like many other UCF players such as Atari Bigby and Brandon Marshall. All of these guys have emerged as top players in the NFL. However, I agree that we should not enter the bidding war for Asante unless it comes for the right price since we have so many needs to address.

there will definitely be quality CBs at 32. Personally, I would like to see Flowers there.

But there are lots of positions that we need fill

harrison and sanders would beg to differ. not to mention that backup they have - some guy named meriweather. they got dope safeties.

sanders is average at best. harrison is toast, he was targeted all year.

merriweather is prob better than sanders, but didnt get the playing time.

That being said, Boomer (or anyone else) - do you envision any of the top 5 corners in this draft (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins, Cason, Talib) falling to #32?

I don't see McKelvin, Cromartie or Jenkins being available at #32. It's a safe bet to assume they'll be (long) gone by then. Cason might well be available, however, and he would make a lot of sense there. I'm not a big fan of Talib by the way because I see him as a cover 2 guy and I'm not sold that he would be able to perform in every system.

I so hate free agency. i hate our team spending millions on overpriced free agents. I'd rather us be talking to Rex Hadnot. You keep your own best guys. You build your team through the draft and retain your best players. Bringing in an outside free agent is usually just a band-aid at best. A temporary and expensive move. Another thing to consider. The Patriots aren't going to resign him for as much money as he wants. And the Patriots are a GREAT judge of personnel. If he was worth that much money, if there weren't cheaper options as good out there you don't think they won't keep him? And considering their recent draft history and ours maybe, just maybe their organization is a better judge of talent than ours. No way would I want to get Asante Samuel. Especially, since this CB class is so deep in the draft.

I so hate free agency. i hate our team spending millions on overpriced free agents. I'd rather us be talking to Rex Hadnot. You keep your own best guys. You build your team through the draft and retain your best players. Bringing in an outside free agent is usually just a band-aid at best. A temporary and expensive move. Another thing to consider. The Patriots aren't going to resign him for as much money as he wants. And the Patriots are a GREAT judge of personnel. If he was worth that much money, if there weren't cheaper options as good out there you don't think they won't keep him? And considering their recent draft history and ours maybe, just maybe their organization is a better judge of talent than ours. No way would I want to get Asante Samuel. Especially, since this CB class is so deep in the draft.

if they didnt think he was that good, they wouldn't have franchised him

On the flip side, there are a lot of people that watch more football than you and me that say buyer beware with Samuel, That he is more a product of the system than people want to believe.

I agree Hall can become a cancer, but I'm not all that sold on spending big bucks on a guy, that maybe just a product of the NE system.

I would rather draft a young CB in the draft than trade a pick away for Hall and spend big bucks on Samuel.

right, but don't you think Parcells/Ireland/Sparano know this already? I'm sure if they're interested in bringing Samuel here they're going to have a system in place that will suit his strengths. I'm not excited about spending boat loads of money on FA's either but Samuel is a play maker, and isn't that what our secondary has been desperately needing for a long time?

Everyone keeps crying about "rather having Hall because Samuel is overpriced"

Well what do yall think Hall is going to want for money? a couple of cheesburgers? Dudes going to want to be the highest payed corner in the league.

I really wouldn't mind having Samuel here as long as his contract doesn't take up all of our cap space. Then, maybe we can trade with Atlanta and bring D. Hall in and have a pretty nice looking secondary, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom