MERGED: For once and for all Brown no backup... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: For once and for all Brown no backup...

godfater21 said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? so when ESPN covers the Tour De france they don't know what the hell there talking about because it's in a whole different country. are you saying that the artical is not correct based on geography?

I think I'm going to believe an Auburn fan over some guy in San Diego.

JHWAUEX said:
That post is exactly right.

Ronnie B was the #1 reason our offense was unstoppable last year. You HAD to gameplan for him and you never knew where he'd be lined up on the field. You couldn't just try and stop the run.

You had to find a way to stop Ronnie.

And no one last year did.

Everytime I watched Auburn play Brown was on the field and getting carries.

godfater21 said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? so when ESPN covers the Tour De france they don't know what the hell there talking about because it's in a whole different country. are you saying that the artical is not correct based on geography?

Ok let me put it this way.

This guy is a generalized sports writer in San Diego. He maybe saw a few Auburn games on TV and looked at some stats, etc. When ESPN covers the Tour De France they have people whose career is following cycling covering it. AND THEY GO THERE IN PERSON.

I'm fairly certain this guy hasn't seen an Auburn game in person. So in that aspect geography does matter, because say he was an Alabama sports writer. Well in that case he'd probably seen every Auburn game of the past four years...that is my point.

And again I'll state in closing...Ronnie Brown was not a backup last year. Maybe two years ago he was. But last year he was our top offensive weapon.

What bugged me most...is that many observors including some so called experts..considered the Brown pick to be "risky" because we were chosing a backup runningback. Your implying in some way that Brown was in fact inferior to Cadi with a statement like that. My point in starting this thread was to argue this point...that he was not in any way an inferior player..not so much whether or not he was labeled a starter or backup.

byroan said:
I think I'm going to believe an Auburn fan over some guy in San Diego.

Everytime I watched Auburn play Brown was on the field and getting carries.

Thanks. :D

To call Ronnie Brown a "backup" is completely ridiculous. You'd have a tough time watching an Auburn game without seeing #23 on the field. He never came out for more than a play, I don't care what the "depth chart" says.

vt_dolfan said:
What bugged me most...is that many observors including some so called experts..considered the Brown pick to be "risky" because we were chosing a backup runningback. Your implying in some way that Brown was in fact inferior to Cadi with a statement like that. My point in starting this thread was to argue this point...that he was not in any way an inferior player..not so much whether or not he was labeled a starter or backup.

Then you should have titled the thread different. like "once and for all Ronnie Brown is not inferior to Caddy." you stated he was not the Back-up Auburns depth chart shows different.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2004/earlybird/teams/auburn.htm

godfater21 said:

There even Auburns depth chart has Ronnie Brown listed as a back-up. is Auburns depth chart good enough for you.

That depth chart came out before the season even started. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RELEASED DECEMBER 1, 2003. They are basing that chart off of the previous season when Ronnie actually was a backup. So no, that depth chart is not good enough for me.

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
DEPTH CHARTS were only designed as a simplistic gauge for listing players that departed and players that received the most playing experience (consistent starters).
[/font]

godfater21 said:
Like you said Brown was a better blocker and reciever. that is why they had Caddy start at RB. and used Brown in other areas. it does not matter what the reason. the player that gets the most playing time at a position is the starter.

Exactly

Edit: (I misread what you wrote) Actually that is not exactly true, as a RB Brown was more powerful Runner, had more speed, but also he was more versatile, so for the better of the team, he was used all around the offense to make them better.

If he was like Caddy, just a good runner (Not as good catching or blocking), then because of his size and speed, he might have started with caddy coming in as a change of pace runner.

JHWAUEX said:
I don't care what the "depth chart" says.

There is some good logic for you there. but it sums up most of you people. if Ronnie Brown himself would even happen to state that he was a back-up. all of you people would be saying what the hell does he know? he was the starter.

tay0365 said:
exactly WRONG!!!! I gotta go with the back who takes the first handoff in the game, not being a back-up but a load sharer,

backup
n 1: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get
dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for
dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer
fill-ins" [syn: stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever,
backup man, fill-in]

Not possible if you tote the rock the first play. Hmmmm....

godfater21 said:

There even Auburns depth chart has Ronnie Brown listed as a back-up. is Auburns depth chart good enough for you.

Yeah let me tell you how accurate that is...apparently we only start 10 people and Brandon Jacobs didn't really transfer to Southern Illinois, he was just third string. :D

Ok let me put it this way. Ronnie Brown didn't play Tailback. He played Ronnie Brown. There isn't a listing on a depth chart for that. Every week Borges would come up with different packages and plays FOR Ronnie Brown. He'd line up at receiver, fullback, tailback, split back with Carnell. I don't care what is written on a piece of paper, anyone who knows a little about Auburn football knows the last thing Ronnie Brown was is a backup.

So basically what you are telling me that is...for example...on our first offensive play from scrimmage against Georgia last year, that 40 yard screen pass was ran by "Carnell William's backup"?

Kind of odd that for one of the biggest games of the year we opened up with a play called especially for a backup.

LtDan662002 said:
exactly WRONG!!!! I gotta go with the back who takes thefirst handoff in the game, not being a back-up but a load sharer,

backup
n 1: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get
dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for
dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer
fill-ins" [syn: stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever,
backup man, fill-in]

Not possible if you tote the rock the first play. Hmmmm....

I misread what he wrote, I don't agree either.

We need to find a backup RB for R. Brown quick.. Caddy was nothing without his trusty backup on the bench watching. Caddy even got tired a play or 2 and Brown came in to play a bit, to spell the #1 running back for a play... Surprising at the end of the season Caddy the starter had 1317 running plus receiving yards... Brown the backup who hardly played because all his is is a backup had a combined 1226 yards... Caddy the starter was surprised at the end of the season that his backup had only 100 less yards..... "What the hell was this did we split time, I thought I was the starter" Caddy was quoted as saying. GreenMonster

TUESDAY, MARCH 9, 2004
SPORTS COLUMNS | SPORTS | HOME | FORUMS | ARCHIVES | SCHEDULES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARK EDWARDS

Good day
lifts Cox up
depth chart

A good scrimmage has improved quarterback Brandon Cox's standing with the Auburn football team.

Coach Tommy Tuberville released an updated depth chart Monday afternoon, and Cox is the second-team quarterback behind starter Jason Campbell. Kelcy Luke is No. 3.

Both Cox and Luke are redshirt freshmen. Campbell is a senior. Cox completed 9 of 15 passes for 175 yards in an intrasquad scrimmage Saturday.

Otherwise, the most remarkable part of the depth chart is that offensive tackles Marcus McNeill and Troy Reddick have switched positions. McNeill is now the left tackle, and Reddick is lining up at right tackle.

Carnell Williams is listed as the starting tailback, while Ronnie Brown is second.

At wide receiver, Devin Aromashodu, Anthony Mix and Courtney Taylor are first team, while Silas Daniels, Lee Guess and Ben Obomanu are on the second squad.

On defense, the biggest battle might be waged at linebacker. Kevin Sears has moved in front of former defensive back Karibi Dede at strongside linebacker. Mayo Sowell is ahead of Quentin Groves at middle linebacker. Travis Williams is entrenched at weakside linebacker.

Back
Top Bottom